PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Frying Instructions

dan_bgblue
11-28-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xPV27MxkF8

CitizenBBN
11-28-2013, 09:33 PM
That's pretty freakin' funny.

I fried one, did it on my stove in my house, but I'm not flippant about any cooking and know how to deep fry without blowing things up. People put them in wet or not totally thawed (which means ice which means water), the oil boils over and hits the open flame. I'm sure some also just drop it in and splash oil everywhere. I wired mine so I could control it completely and lowered it in. I also have a pot even bigger than a usual turkey pot so I had a lot of safety margin in it.

I have subsequently bought a dedicated fryer and next one I do I'll probably do it outside but it's about the btus for the unit. The stove I had at that time was low power, have one now that is high power but still nothing like the burner on a good turkey fryer. It gets the oil hotter quicker but mostly maintains temperature when you put in the bird, even if you've let it come to temp the weaker burners won't manage it.

I'd for sure not use a 40,000 btu fryer unit in the house though. I'm not THAT crazy.

Darrell KSR
11-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not THAT crazy.

That is debatable.

Sent using Forum Runner

CitizenBBN
11-28-2013, 10:08 PM
That is debatable.

Sent using Forum Runner

It could be a split decision for sure. There's just no upside to frying a turkey in your living room that I've come up with yet. :)

blueboss
11-28-2013, 10:46 PM
It could be a split decision for sure. There's just no upside to frying a turkey in your living room that I've come up with yet. :)

There's a bottle of vodka on the coffee table next to the stripper pole??

CitizenBBN
11-29-2013, 07:35 PM
There's a bottle of vodka on the coffee table next to the stripper pole??

True, but I can still get up to check the turkey now and again. No reason to risk a fire and burning up the bar.