PDA

View Full Version : Joe Dean, Sr. has passed away

Darrell KSR
11-17-2013, 10:03 AM
May he hear plenty of "string music" in heaven.

Sent using Forum Runner

ukblue
11-17-2013, 10:07 AM
He was my favorite announcer on the JP game or the week. He will be missed.

kingcat
11-17-2013, 10:12 AM
A great loss for longtime SEC basketball fans. String music, stuffarino, and many other colloquial expressions by Joe once defined basketball in the SEC.

Thank you..and should it be Gods will, get the sound at heavens courts ready for us sir

I'd like to add that, as I think back on the man, he was a wealth of knowledge on the game itself. Much of our education as fans of college basketball was imparted by Joe.
It may be that we owe him more than we realize

Dokker
11-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Saddens me. Fond memories - I remember watching the Kentucky games growing up and hearing Joe Dean: "String Music in Lexington K Y".

Doc
11-17-2013, 10:43 AM
I was never fond of Joe Deans calling style, in much the same ways as I don't like any announcer who feels the need to work his catch phrase in. That said, may he rest in peace. He will always be part of SEC basketball

KeithKSR
11-17-2013, 10:44 AM
May he hear plenty of "string music" in heaven.

Sent using Forum Runner

Amen.

He was a great ambassador for the SEC.

Rock Hard Ten
11-17-2013, 11:33 AM
He will be missed

kingcat
11-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I was never fond of Joe Deans calling style, in much the same ways as I don't like any announcer who feels the need to work his catch phrase in. That said, may he rest in peace. He will always be part of SEC basketball

I remember often feeling that way too in retrospect. Especially when he called a game in Baton Rouge. But those same catch phrases seemed cool if it was us he wsa refering too.

Still, that I remember his game calls so vividly it must have been powerful in some way.

http://bcallstarsbasketball.net/photos/joe_dean_string_music.jpg