PDA

View Full Version : Help Me: Cancelling my subs to Scout.com

ribbonfish
08-15-2012, 03:12 AM
I actually PMed to JDrum to make it possible via message, but don't know if/when it will be.
I realize that people here know well about Scout.com, so I go ahead and ask here.

Here's the situation: I can't really call their toll-free number to cancel my subscription to the old site because I live outside US and a toll-free number is NOT free for those living outside US.

Is it possible for me to be arranged to cancel my subscription through e-mail?

I told JDrum about my situation, but I know he's a newbie there and it may take a while.

Anything else I can do? Should I send the same message to Brian Eldridge who works at Scout.com a bit longer?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Darrell KSR
08-15-2012, 05:51 AM
As I said on the Premium Forum, we are not taking an official position, and just hope people subscribe here first. After that, it is each individual's choice what they do. We hope we will ultimately have people who have accounts with 247 or Rivals our Scout join us too.

But for those who are canceling at Scout, there are two ways to do it. One way is with the toll free number they have, 1-888-979-0979, during their business hours.

The other way is online. You may have to dig a little to find it, but you can go to "My Account," then "My Subscriptions," and cancel (or increase your subscription, if you choose).

Personally, I like Jeff, and hope he does well. I would rather people choose to be here first, of course. In addition, Jeff won't have anything to do with subscriptions; that will be Scout.

ribbonfish
08-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Well, Darrell, I would like to cancel my subs to Scout.com and like to know how besides calling a toll-free. And you know what?
I did dig into My Account, which they now actually call My Subscription, and clicked on "Cancel my subscription" and they showed me the 1-888 number to call and their business hour.

This is why I'm asking.

Seems like most premium sites, including ESPN Insider, have way to subscribe online but no way out online and have a toll-free number, instead.

Darrell KSR
08-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Gosh, I really don't know then.

Jeeepcat
08-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Well, Darrell, I would like to cancel my subs to Scout.com and like to know how besides calling a toll-free. And you know what?
I did dig into My Account, which they now actually call My Subscription, and clicked on "Cancel my subscription" and they showed me the 1-888 number to call and their business hour.

This is why I'm asking.

Seems like most premium sites, including ESPN Insider, have way to subscribe online but no way out online and have a toll-free number, instead.

Bottom line - they can't try to talk you out of it if you cancel online

Doc
08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Is it on a credit card (most require a credit card to charge). Is so, either contact the credit card company to tell them to not allow any additional charges by scout or have the acct number changed and don't update scout the new number.

BudCat_upthecreek
08-15-2012, 04:53 PM

This is why I'm asking.

Ribbonfish I did the exact same thing as did CatCookie and he is a computer geek, my point if it could have been done online CatCookie would have figured a way because he really is very very good with computers and super smart.

You may be able to write a letter because they won't pro-rate a cancellation anyway. I'm paid until DEC 8th and my subscription will cancel then. So I would attempt a letter first if it's much less expensive or have a family member call and pretend to be you(I didn't say that) like your father, brother someone you trust that will know most of the info they would need anyway.....other than username, password, stuff like that which you could school him on. But you can bet they're going to offer 2-6 months free membership. Heck if you'll be back in the states anytime in the next few months you might get him to bargain out a free sub until you get to the states to cancel. They gave me 4 months free at Rivals (best I remember) when I quit over there.

ribbonfish
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Is it on a credit card (most require a credit card to charge). Is so, either contact the credit card company to tell them to not allow any additional charges by scout or have the acct number changed and don't update scout the new number.

Thanks, Doc. I thought that would be my last option. I would like to explore some other options before doing this, though.

ribbonfish
08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Ribbonfish I did the exact same thing as did CatCookie and he is a computer geek, my point if it could have been done online CatCookie would have figured a way because he really is very very good with computers and super smart.

You may be able to write a letter because they won't pro-rate a cancellation anyway. I'm paid until DEC 8th and my subscription will cancel then. So I would attempt a letter first if it's much less expensive or have a family member call and pretend to be you(I didn't say that) like your father, brother someone you trust that will know most of the info they would need anyway.....other than username, password, stuff like that which you could school him on. But you can bet they're going to offer 2-6 months free membership. Heck if you'll be back in the states anytime in the next few months you might get him to bargain out a free sub until you get to the states to cancel. They gave me 4 months free at Rivals (best I remember) when I quit over there.

Thank you, BudCat. Unfortunately, I'm just a UK grad and not a US citizen.
I have no home in US nor no relatives living there. But, I do have some friends so I might try that option.
My sub is supposed to renew on Sept. 12. So, I may need to e-mail to Scout headquaters now.

It's really tricky that they tell us we can purchase subscription online but never really tell us we can get out of it online.

elicat
08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Bottom line - they can't try to talk you out of it if you cancel online

I thought it was interesting that they made zero effort to talk me out of it. From time to time I have subscribed to other schools' premium sites to see what was going on at a particularly interesting moment, and then called to cancel more or less immediately. I always got the free months offer. Not this time. He just took it as settled as soon as the words were out of my mouth.