PDA

View Full Version : If this weather pattern continues into the winter

dan_bgblue
11-06-2013, 08:43 PM
KY is gonna be knee deep in snow for several days on various occasions from late Dec, thru mid Mar. Moisture coming up from the Texas area and cold fronts coming down from the north west will collide and snow all over us. I watched this pattern set up many years ago, and went out and invested in show chains, rock salt, sand, a sled, and a snow shovel.

blueboss
11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I can change the weather pattern you described by merely going out and buying all of the things you have listed.

CitizenBBN
11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I"m sorry to hear that b/c I hate snow. I will heed your warning though and stock up on some salt. I sure hope it changes b/c last year was almost pleasant. Never got bitter cold for long, almost no freakin' snow.

CitizenBBN
11-06-2013, 09:07 PM
I can change the weather pattern you described by merely going out and buying all of the things you have listed.

Please do so. I'd be so very grateful. :)

Lfbj00
11-06-2013, 09:48 PM
KY is gonna be knee deep in snow for several days on various occasions from late Dec, thru mid Mar. Moisture coming up from the Texas area and cold fronts coming down from the north west will collide and snow all over us. I watched this pattern set up many years ago, and went out and invested in show chains, rock salt, sand, a sled, and a snow shovel.

BITE YOUR TONGUE DAN!!!

If there has ever been one person on God's little green earth who HATES snow more than me....I've not met them yet!!

Lfbj00
11-06-2013, 09:50 PM

I will be leading the blueboss collection fund for all of these purchases. And I want good contributions...no cheapskates for this one!!!

Darrell KSR
11-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Wouldn't mind some snow, but my son is begging me to go back to Rupp during Christmas break, and it worries me if I have to travel in it.

To be a 12-year old and walk into Rupp Arena, after going to Auburn, UAB, Alabama, Samford, etc. You guys just take that stuff for granted. :)

suncat05
11-12-2013, 09:46 AM
BITE YOUR TONGUE DAN!!!

If there has ever been one person on God's little green earth who HATES snow more than me....I've not met them yet!!

Uh, that would be me x1000

blueboss
11-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I started out small with some side walk salt, they were forecasting around a 1/2 last night and lo-and behold I woke this morning to not one flake of snow. I didn't even have frost on my windshield.

dan_bgblue
11-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I started out small with some side walk salt, they were forecasting around a 1/2 last night and lo-and behold I woke this morning to not one flake of snow. I didn't even have frost on my windshield.

Get the sled, it generally builds a snow shield in the owners general area. If it fails, one can always have a lot of fun

blueboss
11-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Get the sled, it generally builds a snow shield in the owners general area. If it fails, one can always have a lot of fun

I 'll pick one up next time they forecast snow. I could turn my back yard into a tropical rain forest if I were to go out and buy a really nice snow blower.

dan_bgblue
11-24-2013, 11:36 AM
I do not think the cold front south of NOLA will lift back and bring the moisture back to KY, but this one is gonna be close. Over the river and thru the woods to..................

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/comp/ceus/wv-animated.gif

CitizenBBN
11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
I gotta go get that salt so I can stop this. I thought the generator may do it but I probably need to lay in some gas too.

blueboss
11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
I'll swing by and pick up a snow shovel tomorrow after work, that ought get us up around 35-36 degrees.

Darrell KSR
11-25-2013, 08:51 AM
I remember when we were moving to Mobile from Hopkinsville as kids. We got rid of our snow sleds and other snow stuff because we wouldn't need it. First winter there it had a shocking snow storm, so it works in reverse, too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

dan_bgblue
11-25-2013, 03:27 PM
42 degrees and snowing to beat the band in Rockfield. Weather services keep saying this is a non event for us. Fingers crossed

blueboss
11-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Worked again not a flake in sight Tuesday night and only a few flurries Wednesday. Everything went south and east before sliding north.

Lfbj00
11-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Worked again not a flake in sight Tuesday night and only a few flurries Wednesday. Everything went south and east before sliding north.

I'm telling you right now mister......KEEP IT UP, IT'S WORKING!!! And I love ya for it...

dan_bgblue
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
boss, between you and CBBN, you guys may need to dial back just a bit. You have scared off all the weather in the country.:action-smiley-057:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/comp/ceus/ir4-l.jpg

blueboss
11-29-2013, 07:40 PM
boss, between you and CBBN, you guys may need to dial back just a bit. You have scared off all the weather in the country.:action-smiley-057:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/comp/ceus/ir4-l.jpg

Do you want me to put my snow shovel up on EBAY???

dan_bgblue
11-29-2013, 08:19 PM
That would leave it in circulation. I think putting it in a cardboard box and storing in the attic next to the Christmas decorations would probably work.

blueboss
11-29-2013, 08:46 PM
That would leave it in circulation. I think putting it in a cardboard box and storing in the attic next to the Christmas decorations would probably work.

Oooops, I get the Christmas crap out every year the day after Thanksgiving, and today was no exception. Since I have to spend time on the roof it generally rains and at the very least it's freezing cold and windy.....today wasn't too bad upper 30's and sunny. uh-oh!

bigsky
11-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Predicting highs of zero here early next week and these big Siberian express storms usually end up down your way a few days later. Ho! Ho! Ho!

45 yesterday, sunny, in shirt sleeves as I bounced around the town.

dan_bgblue
12-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Predicting highs of zero here early next week and these big Siberian express storms usually end up down your way a few days later. Ho! Ho! Ho!

The train arrives on Friday. High of 36

blueboss
12-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Looks like I'll need to go out and buy a snow blower to beat this one. The weather guy just called out a winter storm potential for the Ohio Valley starting Friday through Sunday...It is a week away, so it's got time to turn.

dan_bgblue
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/g13.2013336.1715_US_wv.jpg

KSRBEvans
12-02-2013, 03:16 PM
The last significant snow I can remember in Louisville was March 08, when we got almost a foot and it was melted within a couple of days. The last winter event was winter 09 IIRC, when we had an ice storm that knocked out power for about a week. I could do with another of the former, but not the latter.

blueboss
12-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Our local weather guys (Louisville) have officially said we'll have to wait and see, round 1 is expected Thursday night Friday morning which looks a wiff. Round 2 would be expected Saturday night or Sunday morning which may have rain, sleet, or snow. Yep that's what they said, wait and see...these guys are good.

dan_bgblue
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I can understand their dilemma. There is little doubt about the timing of the cold weather, but will the moisture from the southwest arrive at the same time. It is almost unheard of for the cold front to bring enough moisture with it to produce more than an inch of snow as it snows out the moisture that is present in the local atmosphere when it gets to your house. Right now, I see no way to accurately predict that. The snow blower may keep the moisture bundle well to the south.

btw, that satellite loop that I posted first in this thread updates daily to the current image.

KSRBEvans
12-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Our local weather guys (Louisville) have officially said we'll have to wait and see, round 1 is expected Thursday night Friday morning which looks a wiff. Round 2 would be expected Saturday night or Sunday morning which may have rain, sleet, or snow. Yep that's what they said, wait and see...these guys are good.

lol--we've had so many false alarms in Louisville over the last 4 years, we could end up with the Storm Of The Century!!!!11!ONE!!! and I'm going to miss it because I've quit believing any of them.

blueboss
12-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Now they're leaning "ICE" not good. Can't beat ice with a snow shovel or snow blower, I'm picking up 100 lb bag of salt tomorrow.

dan_bgblue
12-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Wintry weather possible for the latter half of the week and next sunday...

An expansive storm system will spread from the southern plains through
the ohio valley and into new england late this week. Across the ohio
valley...an arctic cold front will slide through thursday evening
with cold air gradually working in behind it thursday night through
friday night. However...a layer of warm air will remain in place
above the cold air over the region. This will bring precipitation
types into question early friday through friday night.

Current data suggests rain will begin transitioning to a mix of
wintry precipitation across portions of southern indiana as early
as midnight thursday night. By friday morning...this transition
line of rain to a wintry mix is expected to slowly slide southeast
toward the ohio river...and then south of the river through the
day friday. Precipitation type is expected to stay all rain
southeast of a bowling green to lexington line on friday.

By friday night...cold air will begin crashing in at all levels
likely changing much of the precipitation over to light snow as
the event ends overnight. Across the lake cumberland region a
light wintry mix may take over to end the event.

The overall precipitation type evolution and exact timing are not
yet fully known at this time. However...confidence of an
impactful wintry weather scenario including snow...sleet...and
freezing rain is moderate north of the ohio river...and low along
and just south of the river. Stay up to date of the latest
forecasts as details become more clear.

dan_bgblue
12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
My best guess at this point is that the moisture south of us never climbs north and the precipitation, in whatever form will be light. I see freezing rain being likely for Friday night, but do not expect the precip to be heavy. Brine on the roads should keep travel reasonably safe but that bag of salt for the driveway will be a good investment.

Above forecast is open to change at a moments notice.:action-smiley-057:

blueboss
12-03-2013, 09:15 PM
The investment on the salt is to ensure the precipitation remains in the form of rain. I'll be using it next summer in the ice cream freezer.

CitizenBBN
12-03-2013, 11:13 PM
If I can find a track close enough to run a car I'm just moving to the Keys and being done with it.

Lfbj00
12-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Blueboss...Since it is supposed to be close to 70, I am highly expecting you to be out tomorrow in shorts and a tshirt, spreading salt and brine!!! I HATE ANY FORM OF WINTER PRECIP....I'm counting on you!!!

blueboss
12-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Blueboss...Since it is supposed to be close to 70, I am highly expecting you to be out tomorrow in shorts and a tshirt, spreading salt and brine!!! I HATE ANY FORM OF WINTER PRECIP....I'm counting on you!!!

I'll get it taken care of this evening, I'll follow the road department's blueprint by putting down 16 inches of salt for very inch of snow forecast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

KSRBEvans
12-04-2013, 12:51 PM
This afternoon NWS conference call highlights, courtesy of WAVE 3 Weather Blog:

http://blogs.wave3.com/weather_blog/

My WAG for Friday: mostly rain for Louisville with some sleet/snow on the back end, little or no accumulation. But like I said before, I'm definitely a skeptic after the last few years of pumping us up, then it ending up being nothing.

Lfbj00
12-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Marc Weinberg from wdrb fox41 is about to have an orgasm talking about this system on the news right now. He's got us in the 1-3/2-5 inches of snow band, with the Sunday storm as being a possibility of 1 inch of ice. Man this is gonna suck!!!

blueboss
12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
The river may save you guys and the farther south In Jefferson county the totals look to lighten for Friday.

KeithKSR
12-05-2013, 04:51 PM
The river may save you guys and the farther south In Jefferson county the totals look to lighten for Friday.

The river tends to act as a buffer, the cold fronts tend to hit it and come to a screeching halt. If there is loads of moisture and warmth coming out of the gulf it makes it harder for the cold front to invade.