PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about!

DanISSELisdaman
10-24-2013, 06:08 PM
This was sent to me in an e-mail and I found it interested and thought I would pass it along.

HOW DID THEY DO IT?

Thanks to Bob Smith for this. I had never thought about this before but, it certainly gives another perspective.

Did anyone besides me wonder how they got all those signs printed and distributed far and wide, including to all the national parks and cemeteries overseas only eight to ten hours after the government shut down? Take a look at this from someone who wanted to remain anonymous.

I have worked in the government on and off for 40 years. During that time I became quite familiar with requisitions, bidding, awarding contracts etc. It is a time consuming process with bean-counters and pencil-necked bureaucrats every step of the way. The simplest request takes months not days or hours.

In less than 8 hours of the shutdown, miraculously, professionally printed 3X4 foot signs appeared all over the country in the tens of thousands saying-this [park, facility, etc. with custom logos] closed due to government shutdown. There has not been a government shutdown in 17 years. These signs were designed, specifications were determined, signs were then requisitioned, bids were posted and vetted, government contracts were awarded. The materials were then ordered and the signs manufactured then distributed U.S. Mails or freight companies.

This shutdown was orchestrated and planned well in advance at least 6-8 months ago. Millions of tax dollars were appropriated and spent in this process. There is a paper trail a mile long leading directly to the White House.

CitizenBBN
10-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Its' a fair question where they came from. What really gets me is how they were posting guards places 24/7 that normally have no staffing and doing it in the name of shutting things down b/c they have no staffing. Huh?

It was obvious Parks was ordered to make this as dramatic as possible, go forth and try to generate human interest pieces that can be run on the news about the boy scouts who can't have camp and the WWII vets who can't visit their memorials. Politics as usual.

There should be a paper trail of how the signs were purchased. Would be straightforward to track down if you had access to the procurement records.

DanISSELisdaman
10-24-2013, 09:46 PM
I agree, the trail should be there. The question is, does anyone want to follow it?

Doc
10-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Maybe the government just got more efficient :lmao:

jazyd
10-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Dan, heard the same thing here from a friend in the government

badrose
10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Seems to me there's a lot more implicated than that aimed at the Obama administration. An exercise of misdirection perhaps.

UKHistory
10-25-2013, 02:09 PM
We need to contact GOA as to how the signs were paid for and where did they come from so fast.

I was surprised that the out door monuments were closed. I am not sure how much park security is around say the WWII memorial.

The Jefferson had just recently been vandalized by someone so there could be a case made to protect national sites.

Still does not address how signs were everywhere pretty quick.

On the flip side, UK did raise a banner for the 2012 title not 24 hours after the fact.

I do think GAO would be the first place to get information. And it is possible those signs were created over the weekend of September 28-29 by the Government Printing Office (GPO).

Any takers on calling? I am not sure how GAO communicated directly with concerned citizens; it does quickly respond to requests from Congress.