PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting a flu shot this year?

Darrell KSR
10-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Some pretty strong opinions on both side most years, it seems. Quick poll.

Darrell KSR
10-24-2013, 10:34 AM
By the way, I made this a poll where people can see how you voted--keep that in mind if you want to be anonymous; this poll isn't for you. I just thought I'd try it on this thread for kicks. (EDIT -- not sure I did it right. I just voted "yes" and don't see my name on it. I may have messed it up.)

I received a flu shot last week, and receive one every year, as does everybody in my family. I know some are strongly of the opinion that it is irrelevant, ineffective, causes side effects, or otherwise, and do not receive one. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion; just wanted to see what it is.

jazyd
10-24-2013, 11:10 AM
i have gotten one for the last 4 years, havent gotten the flu

BarristerCat
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
I get one every year now because my wife has a medical condition that would put her in the hospital immediately if she were to get the flu. I haven't had any problems with it.

I know a person that has had actual, medically diagnosed side effects from it, though. Not the "I just feel blah" stuff, either. We're talking life altering conditions. So, I think everyone should just consider the options and make the right decision for them. If you're relatively healthy and don't spend a lot of time around big groups of people (like working in a large office, etc.), then I'd consider not getting it. If your situation puts you at high risk for the flu, the vaccine might be a good choice. Everything has risks. The key is deciding when the risks are worth taking.

BigBlueBrock
10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Never gotten a flu shot, never had the flu, I figure why mess with a good thing?

ukcatlvr
10-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Never gotten a flu shot, never had the flu, I figure why mess with a good thing?

Ditto

CGWildcat
10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Had one every year the last 30 years. Tried the nasal mist a couple times also. Never an issue.

Lfbj00
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Got mine Tuesday night at work. Get it every year.

suncat05
10-24-2013, 02:47 PM
I received this year's shot a couple of weeks ago. Aside from the occasional flu-like symptoms that some have right afterwards, I've experienced no other issues or side effects, ever.

CitizenBBN
10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Will probably get it. Have gotten it the last couple of years, no issues, will probably keep doing it.

blueboss
10-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I got mine last Friday. I've gotten one every year for the last 9-10 years and have only had the flu twice during that stretch. I guessed the CDC missed the strain those years.

Anybody else get the flu even though they got the shot???

bigsky
10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Well, you no doubt remember what last year's flu shot uncovered. I gotta check with my hemp-oncologist, but I always got one before.

The edit...I NEED a hemp oncologist, thanks spell check, but I typed hemo-oncologist...

BigBluePappy
10-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Get one every year, especially now that I have had the stroke.

Darrell KSR
10-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, you no doubt remember what last year's flu shot uncovered. I gotta check with my hemp-oncologist, but I always got one before.

The edit...I NEED a hemp oncologist, thanks spell check, but I typed hemo-oncologist...

lol. That was a good typo.

Doc
10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
No, I'll likely get the flu without the shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Catfan73
10-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I would get them only when the mood struck me when I was younger, but when I hit 50 I started to get one every year. Haven't been sick since.

MickintheHam
10-28-2013, 08:26 AM
We pay for flu shots for all of our employees that want one. We bring a nurse to site. About 2/3 sign up.

About 10 years ago we sent a work crew to Long Beach, California. All but one guy came down with the flu. We had to hire an entirely new crew at higher prices to finish the job by the deadline. We took a fairly good financial hit. The cost of the flu shots is insignificant by comparison. The guys who got sick that remain with us all get the shot. They never want to be that far from home and be sick again.

KSRBEvans
10-28-2013, 08:32 AM
I've already been sick this fall with bronchitis that messed me up for about 3 weeks. No way I want to get the flu, too. Got the swine flu back in 2009--not fun.