PDA

View Full Version : Cal: "I'd like to coach a 40-0 team"

Darrell KSR
10-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Some comments from Cal's talk to tip-off club:
"Before I retire, I'd like to coach a 40-0 team. Because they say you can't do that." "40-0 goal keeps players in the moment. Each game is just as important as any other when seeking unbeaten season."

Cal on the one and done rule:
"I don't like the one and done rule, but I'm not going to hold anyone back."

Cal on roster competition:
"Last year I'd take a guy out of a game and after I saw who was on the floor, I had to put him right back in."
Cal says last year's lack of depth just didn't affect practice competition, mattered in games when he couldn't take players out.

Cal on the two biggest surprises this year:
"Marcus Lee and Derek Willis." On Marcus: "Cal says Marcus Lee reminds him of Dennis Rodman because of his "unbelievable energy."

Cal on Jarrod Polson and Jon Hood:
Jarrod Polson and Jon Hood are so much better not afraid to put them in games. "They're competing."

Cal on last year's lack of depth:
Cal said he didn't think Teague would leave early. "Last year I'd take a guy out of a game and after I saw who was on the floor, I had to put him right back in."

Cal on reloading:
"We plan on trying to get 7 McDonalds All-Americans again." Cal said he expects "6 or 7" to leave early this year.

Cal on Julius Randle:
"Julius Randle learning to transition from playing as a guard and finishing like a big man. "Great leader." Says that if winning was the only thing that mattered, he'd stick Randle under the basket, but he's trying to expand his game.

CitizenBBN
10-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Cal says last year's lack of depth just didn't affect practice competition, mattered in games when he couldn't take players out.

It was beyond obvious, and was what broke Cal of his "I only need 7 guys" approach. Broke it more than I've seen a coach be broken of a belief ever.

Re Julius, that's why he gets these guys. Cal's player development is horribly underrated. If he had them for 2-3 years it would be more obvious.

CitizenBBN
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Oh, and I love the 40-0 talk. I think he's going to use it as positive motivation to focus on every game. This team should be better than almost every (if not every) team they play. You only lose b/c you "stub your toe" and don't have focus here and there, make mistakes, let a team get hot. Sounds like he may use the undefeated goal to focus them for every game b/c it makes each one more important regardless of opponent.