PDA

View Full Version : FISA Reform: How is more beaurocracy helpful?

dethbylt
10-07-2013, 12:31 PM
There is a bipartisan push, inlcuding Rand Paul, to reform the FISA court by adding an advocacy office to the mix to argue for citizen's rights. My question is: why not just follow the laws as they are written? If you spy on a US citizen, have a warrant. If not, and it is for national security, free game. I just can't comprehend how more red tape is helpful when we can't even pay to keep the government open as is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/01/the-house-is-divided-over-almost-everything-but-fisa-court-reform-might-be-able-to-unite-it/

CitizenBBN
10-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I seriously doubt if the FISA court is constitutional. it's a Star Chamber, a secret court where we don't even know the judge presiding and we all just trust everyone will be honest and uphold the same principles they do when on record. That of course is a pipe dream and dangerous. The Founders would be horrified, even the most sternly Federalist of them I think would be chilled by this arrangement.

I suppose this is an improvement of sorts, but despite the national security issues I think I prefer we have no secret courts in this nation. I don't trust US Senators or federal judges to do what is right in the dark any more than I do any other random guy off the street.

UKHistory
10-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Brother you have spoken a mouth full.

The FISA courts, the NSA spying, the Espionage Act and its abuse under this administration are all UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

And the Founders would hate the size of our army, our law enforcement agencies, and lack of the due process.

I seriously doubt if the FISA court is constitutional. The Founders would be horrified, even the most sternly Federalist of them I think would be chilled by this arrangement.

I suppose this is an improvement of sorts, but despite the national security issues I think I prefer we have no secret courts in this nation. I don't trust US Senators or federal judges to do what is right in the dark any more than I do any other random guy off the street.