PDA

View Full Version : Favorite App Suggestions

blueboss
09-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Okay guys I'm officially in the year 2013 and have a smart phone. What are your favorite App (preferably free) whether the App be for entertainment purposes (games etc.) or serving a valuable function (weather, weight, business aids etc.) or something that is just "cool" (space station tracking, calculators etc.) what say you? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

There has probably already been a thread like this before but I never noticed it because I was still in the dark ages and using can-and-string technology.

So far about the only ones I have are Shazam, Safe Note, and My Radar

dan_bgblue
09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
mapquest, google maps, flashlight, evernote, IHeartRadio, Intellicast, are just a few I like and all are free

jazyd
09-30-2013, 11:58 PM
I like my radar, especially when I am traveling, playing golf or hunting, I heart radio, pandora. Not really big into apps. I don't live on my phone and have more fun things to do than play in a phone

Doc
10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
"FIND MY PHONE" for both mine and my wife. I can see where she is at any time, usually to find out when she is on her way home so I can start dinner, but also when her car breaks down etc. Also does the obvious, find your phone. Tonight was a prime example as she could not find her phone. Took me 5 seconds to tell her she left it at work. FMP is only for the last 3 generations of Iphones. My son has "FIND MY FRIENDS" which works for non Iphones. I use it to keep up with him because at 15, a parent needs to know where their kids are.
I like the Netflix app but use it mostly on my tablet. I watch 1 to 2 episodes of TV shows every day. My morning routine is a cup of coffee and an episode of "that 70's show" at Panera.
The Tip Calculators are great as well. Put in your bill and the % and it tells you how much to tip, plus if you are splitting the bill, it does it automatically.
Viber is great! It allows you to make call overseas for free so long as they have a wifi connection. My business partner has a house in the Bahama's and it allows us to keep in contact w/o using the phone system and its charges. Will work anywhere in the world so long as there is wifi.

Doc
10-01-2013, 06:37 PM
and how could we forget TAPATALK so you can access KSR

Doc
10-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Also ZITE. Its an app that you put in your preference and it scans the web and finds articles about your interests. Its actually pretty cool way to find things.

PedroDaGr8
10-01-2013, 09:37 PM
I second tapatalk. Don't know how I got by without it. As fir games, humble Android bundle is going on right now. DRM free games, you pay what you want.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4

dan_bgblue
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Viber is great! It allows you to make call overseas for free so long as they have a wifi connection. My business partner has a house in the Bahama's and it allows us to keep in contact w/o using the phone system and its charges. Will work anywhere in the world so long as there is wifi.

While I have no personal need for it, that sounds like an awesome app

suncat05
10-02-2013, 07:06 AM
My wife, kids & I all have Viber loaded in our phones. Keeping in mind the differences in time zones, we are able to talk with my Father/Mother-in-law in the Philippines, and my brothers-in-law working in Malaysia and living in Australia and their families too.
We absolutely love it! Not only does it work well for us all, it doesn't cost us one penny! And when it's not convenient to actually talk, we can use the texting feature to communicate. Just a great app.

suncat05
10-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Dan, even though you think you might not have a real need for it, it is one of those things that just might come in very handy in the darndest circumstances. And as long as you're someplace that has wifi it works!
My one brother-in-law in Australia is who turned us on to it. He's one of those "techie" guys anyway, he's always up on the newest & most current stuff. He's the one that does contract work for the Australian military.

Darrell KSR
10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Some I have not seen mentioned yet.

Tweetcaster - if you are on twitter, this one is phenomenal. They have a free version and a pro version, which I gladly paid for to remove a banner ad at the bottom. I use it for personal twitter, for KSR twitter, for my school's publicity twitter account (I'm the publicity chairperson), and for my own business. The things it does are remarkable. (Side note--I love the apps that give a free version with all functionality. If you try it and like it, you can support them by buying pro, which I have done numerous times. I have also abandoned some apps after trying the full function version, and I very rarely even try one with limited function.)

Evernote--king of the note apps. From data saving, to voice saving, to pic saving, to calendaring, docketing and tickler applications, to you name it. Tremendous.

Office Suite--if you have any need to edit documents prepared in Word, etc. Pretty pricey in terms of apps costs ($9.99 or $19.99, I don't remember), but very solid.

Dropbox, Box.net and Drive (Google Drive)--great storage apps. I routinely access client files or teaching materials from my phone with one of those apps.

Chrome & Opera--try them out, see if you prefer one over the stock browser. I have all three. Some also like Dolphin for minimalism.

Iheartradio and TuneInradio--great for finding ballgames and listening to the UK radio call.

Sirius/XM app--if you have the internet subscription. I use this often while running.

Gmail apps are great--particularly love the ease of swiping to delete one after another email.

Boomerrang for gmail--love scheduling emails to go out, and this works well, although I have only used it a handful of times.

More to come....

CitizenBBN
10-03-2013, 09:21 PM
If you EVER get on KSR with your phone and don't have Tapatalk or Forum Runner absolutely get one of them.

I use AI Type Keyboard to replace the Samsung/Android one. I like the size of the characters and the behavior better. Cool thing about android is you can replace the whole keyboard. I've tried the swipe too (Samsung licensed swiftkey), still testing with that route.

Darrell KSR
10-03-2013, 10:23 PM
A few in the "entertainment/sports" area--

Betbud - I don't bet, but enjoy putting in my plays for Doc's Beat the Odds games, and my Stupid Underdog Pick. Free version is limited, but that's all I have. If you were in a pool or something like that, the pay version would be ultra-cool.

FreeCaddie, SimpleGolfGPS, GolfLogix and V1Golf--really neat apps, either course yardage finders, and/or an app that breaks down your golf swing with video--makes it in slow-motion, and you can even superimpose a PGA golfer's swing on yours to compare angles, etc. Free and pay version. I use it with my son (we don't get out very often, but fun enough).

Scoreboard/scorekeeping apps for basketball and volleyball, including Individual Basketball, Individual Volleyball, Light Score, Match Point Scoreboard, Scoreboard Free, Soccer Stats (Lite version, too), Volleyball Positions, and Volleyball Stats. Yeah, I'm a little of a kids' stats nerd and the positions app is really handy when you're learning to be a "real" volleyball coach so you do not put players out of rotation.

Health and Diet apps -- Lose It! is a very good app for keeping track of food and exercise and weight. I also have S Health (that came with the phone), Runtastic Pro (I paid for this one, too, because it is outstanding in keeping up with how far you ran, altitude changes, pace, and a hundred other things), GoodRx (I just downloaded it at the suggestion of a friend--it has 6,000 pharmacies and online pharmacies in it and will compare prescription prices at all of them for you, and Med Helper--I like this free app because it gives reminders to take medicine, and you can track unscheduled ones like over the counter apps so you don't overmedicate yourself. It sends notifications when due, too. I now take 3 eyedrops a day for my eye pressure (see "that Friday" post I made visiting the eye hospital), and a notification comes to the phone when I am supposed to take it. Tap on it, it records that I took the one (or skipped it, or records WHEN I took it, etc.)

More to come. I have 442 apps currently on my phone, and have probably tried that many others and discarded them. No, I don't use them all, and yes, there are some I have almost never used, and just haven't discarded yet. But they are wonderful devices. To be at a volleyball match--like I will this weekend--and be able to track stats, and keep score alone is worth it. To keep up with football scores all day as I am inside a gym is worth it. Stuff like that.

Darrell KSR
10-03-2013, 10:23 PM
If you EVER get on KSR with your phone and don't have Tapatalk or Forum Runner absolutely get one of them.

I use AI Type Keyboard to replace the Samsung/Android one. I like the size of the characters and the behavior better. Cool thing about android is you can replace the whole keyboard. I've tried the swipe too (Samsung licensed swiftkey), still testing with that route.

Ditto. I am still using both, and find both are outstanding. I have not found "a winner" between the two; they are ultra-close to me.

Darrell KSR
10-04-2013, 02:13 PM
OK, today's category for me is "Travel/Navigation."

I'd suggest trying these (all free)

Google Navigation - superior to my Magellan, my Tom-Tom, my Navigon, my Garmin and my Mio. Just the best.

Waze - have enjoyed this one a great deal. It is "user-contributed," and has terrific reporting capabilities (have found some police cars hiding with it/speed traps, hazards, and traffic slowdowns)

Orbitz & TripAdvisor - good for trips and recommendations and such

Maps - offshoot of Google Navigation, terrific

Ulysses Speedometer - neat speedometer, believe it is more accurate than my car's speedometer (and definitely than my Volvo's, which may say I am going 45 if I'm going 70, or say I'm going 50 if I'm going 15. Occasionally it operates correctly, too.) Has more features on it than just speed, as well. Cool inverse thing where you can place your phone on your dashboard, and read the speed as a reflection in your windshield so you're constantly looking on the road, too.

All free.

More later.

BigBlueBrock
10-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Flipboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flipboard.app) (I looooooooooooooooooove this app)
Smart Tools (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.aboy.tools)
Beautiful Widgets (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.beautifulwidgets) ($)
IP Webcam (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam)
Power Toggles (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc)
Zedge (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zedge.android)

suncat05
10-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Speed traps? Really Darrell? Those don't exist anymore......... :tongue08:

Darrell KSR
10-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Speed traps? Really Darrell? Those don't exist anymore......... :tongue08:

I know, what was I thinking?

Sent using Forum Runner

PedroDaGr8
10-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Tweetcaster - if you are on twitter, this one is phenomenal. They have a free version and a pro version, which I gladly paid for to remove a banner ad at the bottom. I use it for personal twitter, for KSR twitter, for my school's publicity twitter account (I'm the publicity chairperson), and for my own business. The things it does are remarkable. (Side note--I love the apps that give a free version with all functionality. If you try it and like it, you can support them by buying pro, which I have done numerous times. I have also abandoned some apps after trying the full function version, and I very rarely even try one with limited function.)

Evernote--king of the note apps. From data saving, to voice saving, to pic saving, to calendaring, docketing and tickler applications, to you name it. Tremendous.

Office Suite--if you have any need to edit documents prepared in Word, etc. Pretty pricey in terms of apps costs ($9.99 or $19.99, I don't remember), but very solid.

Dropbox, Box.net and Drive (Google Drive)--great storage apps. I routinely access client files or teaching materials from my phone with one of those apps.

Chrome & Opera--try them out, see if you prefer one over the stock browser. I have all three. Some also like Dolphin for minimalism.

Iheartradio and TuneInradio--great for finding ballgames and listening to the UK radio call.

Sirius/XM app--if you have the internet subscription. I use this often while running.

Gmail apps are great--particularly love the ease of swiping to delete one after another email.

Boomerrang for gmail--love scheduling emails to go out, and this works well, although I have only used it a handful of times.

More to come....

How do you find the UK game on IHeartRadio? I am going to be otu of the house today and can't seem to find it.

Darrell KSR
10-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Somerset, KY radio station carries it, don't remember the name

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

PedroDaGr8
10-05-2013, 06:25 PM
OK that does help a lot, thanks. I'll start running through those stations to see if I can find it

PedroDaGr8
10-05-2013, 06:27 PM
OK for those that are wondering it seems like it is K93. Currently its broadcasting the pre-game. You got it back to me JUST in time! Thanks a bunch D

jazyd
10-05-2013, 07:31 PM
93 I think

Darrell KSR
10-06-2013, 07:22 AM
OK for those that are wondering it seems like it is K93. Currently its broadcasting the pre-game. You got it back to me JUST in time! Thanks a bunch D

Glad it helped and you got a good game.

CGWildcat
10-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Run Pee App tells you the best time to well...run and pee during a movie. You tell it the movie you are about to watch and it tells you points in the movie that you can run out and not miss anything important in the movie

Darrell KSR
10-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Run Pee App tells you the best time to well...run and pee during a movie. You tell it the movie you are about to watch and it tells you points in the movie that you can run out and not miss anything important in the movie

Although I am not a big movie goer, I bought that app and have used it a few times and recommend it, too. It also has a timer where you can start it and it will alert you to where those moments are, and has a synopsis of what occurred, so you really miss nothing. Oh, and it tells you if there is anything after the closing credits, too, so if you like to depart as soon as possible, but don't want to miss anything, you are protected. Also gives a brief breakdown of every movie, shock I find helpful in deciding what to see.

Sent using Forum Runner

blueboss
10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Hello from tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

blueboss
10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Flipboard (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flipboard.app) (I looooooooooooooooooove this app)
Beautiful Widgets (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.beautifulwidgets) ($)

3B, what do these do for you?

PedroDaGr8
10-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Beautiful WIdgets adds some additional widgets that you can customize for your home screen.
Flipboard is a way of reading "magazines" about topics.
Power Toggles gives you additional toggles for rapidly turning things on and off (such as 3G, flashlight, etc)

The others I don't know.

Oh yeah I forgot another one. SWYPE KEYBOARD! Now in the App Store. It and SwiftKey are the two most popular keyboards for android. I have often typed long posts using Swype it makes life much easier.

BigBlueBrock
10-07-2013, 06:42 AM

Flipboard is a great way to browse the news from whatever sites float your boat. You can also add your Facebook and Twitter timelines if you so desire. Very well designed app.

Smart Tools is just a bunch of utilities - levels, angle measures, distance, decibel meter, compass, etc.

Beautiful Widgets is a nice collection of home screen widgets that is highly customizable with a large selection of custom themes.

IP Webcam is a cool way to turn your smartphone into a webcam on your home network. When it's running, you can connect to it from your web browser or any program that uses a webcam.

Power Toggles is just a customizable toggle widget that you can put on your home screen or in your notification pull down. Just allows for quick access to the toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

And Zedge is a collection of wallpapers, ringtones, notification sounds, and games (though I don't get games from it). Huge collection of them, too.

blueboss
10-08-2013, 08:23 PM
OK, today's category for me is "Travel/Navigation."

I'd suggest trying these (all free)

Google Navigation - superior to my Magellan, my Tom-Tom, my Navigon, my Garmin and my Mio. Just the best.

Waze - have enjoyed this one a great deal. It is "user-contributed," and has terrific reporting capabilities (have found some police cars hiding with it/speed traps, hazards, and traffic slowdowns)

Orbitz & TripAdvisor - good for trips and recommendations and such

Maps - offshoot of Google Navigation, terrific

Ulysses Speedometer - neat speedometer, believe it is more accurate than my car's speedometer (and definitely than my Volvo's, which may say I am going 45 if I'm going 70, or say I'm going 50 if I'm going 15. Occasionally it operates correctly, too.) Has more features on it than just speed, as well. Cool inverse thing where you can place your phone on your dashboard, and read the speed as a reflection in your windshield so you're constantly looking on the road, too.

All free.

More later.

I searched for the Ulysses Speedometer but there are plenty others, any other recommendations on speedometers?

Darrell KSR
10-08-2013, 10:39 PM
It's a typo (auto correct did it). Try Ulysse speedometer.

There are a bunch of them. I tried maybe a half dozen, and this was my favorite. Reviews are through the roof good.

I'm sure there are a bunch of good ones, but that's my recommendation. It does a ton of stuff too.

Here's a screen shot of it (I have the GPS turned off).

CitizenBBN
10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I got a note from these guys a few weeks ago looking for dealers:

That's right, an app that turns your phone into a rifle scope. Beat that one. lol. :fing05:

blueboss
10-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Still couldn't find Ulysse Speedometer, and whats the name of the scope app?

CitizenBBN
10-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Intelliscope. I looked at it briefly but unless folks here talk me into it I don't see signing up as a dealer b/c I don't see guys taking their expensive iphones out into the woods and putting them on their rifles 10' up in a stand or out in the dew moving through the brush. Maybe I'm wrong, I would think i'd want a good optical scope and not a phone on there.

Darrell KSR
10-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Still couldn't find Ulysse Speedometer, and whats the name of the scope app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer

The things it can do are really cool.

Sent using Forum Runner

Scout714
10-10-2013, 07:31 AM
I could be wrong (imagine that) but I think UK blocks IHeartRadio from broadcasting the games. I know they did last year on 630AM and 98.1FM both out of Lexington. Those stations pay the money for the rights to the game and want you to listen to their commercials. I could get pre and post game but not the game itself.

As for favorite APPS I like Google Sky Map. Just point your phone at any star and Google tells you the name.

Darrell KSR
10-10-2013, 10:00 AM
I could be wrong (imagine that) but I think UK blocks IHeartRadio from broadcasting the games. I know they did last year on 630AM and 98.1FM both out of Lexington. Those stations pay the money for the rights to the game and want you to listen to their commercials. I could get pre and post game but not the game itself.

As for favorite APPS I like Google Sky Map. Just point your phone at any star and Google tells you the name.

Shh...don't tell anybody, but UK's efforts are not followed by a radio station in Somerset that several of us have listened to UK radio games on Iheartradio. It's FM93.

Catonahottinroof
10-10-2013, 10:49 AM
istreamnet for watching TV on the go.

KSRBEvans
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Mrs. BEvans and I were at Disney last week and the app we used the most was a weather app called SkyMotion (http://skymotion.com/nowcastweb/). It will tell you down to the minute, up to 2 hours out, when it will start raining or stop raining, and how long it will be raining. And to quote Mona Lisa Vito from "My Cousin Vinny," we found it to be dead-on-balls accurate.

For example: we were at Animal Kingdom and getting ready to ride Primeval Whirl. It said it would begin raining in our location in 2 minutes. We got on the ride, and during the ride the heavens opened up on us. (If you've done that attraction, you know it's an outdoor attraction and you get slung around pretty good on it. So having all that happen during a rainstorm was pretty cool.)

Another example: 1 day we were at Epcot and were standing in Future World. We were heading for dinner at Chefs de France in World Showcase. It said we had 6 minutes to make it before it started raining, so we beat it to the restaurant and walked in just as the 1st drops were starting to fall. So we were able to sit inside and enjoy a nice meal and leave after the rain ended--I love it when a plan comes together.

Darrell KSR
10-10-2013, 01:32 PM
I may try that Sky Motion app. I use Nooly, which does the same thing. Sometimes it has been perfect; other times, not precisely.

Nooly has only a 2.8/5.0 rating, although they tout Time Magazine calling it one of the top 50 android apps in 2013, and have a lot of self-serving info on its website:

Nooly is arguably the world most accurate Short-range Weather App that predicts the Exact Time Rain will Start and end (5 Minute Accuracy) for every neighborhood / road or district in the Continental US. The app covers more than 30 million different locations within a 0.4 square mile radius and can predict when light rain will become a thunderstorm, when snow will fall and when ice rain will end up at your doorstep.

Sky Motion may have them beat. They are at 3.8/5.0.

Wonder of Tech says, "In the battle of SkyMotion vs. my other weather apps, SkyMotion won by a landslide.”

Available in 16,000,000 zones across the contiguous United States and Canada, it says.

I will download it, and try both.

PedroDaGr8
10-12-2013, 04:32 PM
This is ONE app I don't need in San Diego. We had two days ago it was the first time in months that it rained.

On that note tough, I have the yahoo weather app on my phone. I like it, it uses pictures from FLickr to show the area you aregetting the weather for. So for my brother in Naples it shows pictures from naples italy. My parents in Lexington, it shows pictures geotagged from lexington. Same with here in san diego.

I just realized I mentioned Swype keyboard earlier but didn't explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-RAefCG_c
The newest google keyboard that came out incorporates Swype like functions(as a direct response to swype) but at best its a very innacurate version of Swype. I just purchased the pay version because it was only $1 and its well worth it. To me it feels much smoother than the beta I was using and much more accurate.

Other than that, I use the dropbox app extensively. Same with the WatchESPN app (if you have access to ESPN3 its a great app to have).

Darrell KSR
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
OK, back to another category. This category is "vendor/shopping."

Have the stock eBay app, which works great. Faster to browse, bid, etc. on it than the computer. But I also had Pocket Auctions as a back-up to it. eBay app allows you to EASILY post things for sale, too; again, more easily than using the computer in my experience.

One really good one I have used just the last three days and picked up some Big Blue Madness tickets is "Myibidder Auction." It's a "snipe" bid app. I have bid 3 times with it and it has worked perfectly, placing my bid automatically with 5 seconds to go. The first one I got a really great deal because somebody placed BBM tickets at an auction going off at 1:49 a.m. Sunday night/Monday morning. Not sure you can get a worse time than that, but I was asleep when my maximum bid was placed.

Placed another one, but the winning bid was more than my maximum. Then finally, got one other one later today and it worked well again.

Stock Craigslist app is working great, but I picked up Clapp (that's not THE Clapp, it is CraigsListApp abbreviation) as a backup.

Kelley Blue Book works great if you're in the market for a new (used) car to get an idea of prices.

There are a ton of scanner/shopping apps. One I use is ShopSavvy, which allows you to scan the barcode of a product in a store, and get prices online and elsewhere. Plenty more of those, too. I also have RedLaser Barcode. Had Google Shopper, too. There are others; in fact, I think there are others more highly rated, and I'm not sure why I have the ones I have.

There are a ton of retail store apps. Home Depot one is outstanding--you can plug something in after you search, and it will not only tell you if your local store has it, it will also tell you WHERE it is located in the store. (Aisle number). The clerks at the store did not know it did that first time I used it, and told them where some Defiant flashlights (thanks, Pedro) was supposed to be.

I can't recommend others, but I know they have ones from Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. in it. (Actually, I have Walgreens, but haven't really used it yet.)

Also have an Amazon app, too. Will add more later to this category; unfortunately, I have a bunch here.

PedroDaGr8
05-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Reviving this thread to throw a few more apps out there:

1) Timely
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.bitspin.timely
A very beautiful intuitive easy to use alarm clock/clock app.

2)Start
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.celltick.lockscreen
A high function lockscreen replacement.

3) Agent
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tryagent
Does the job of several apps by providing "agents" to handle duties. For example, car agent detects when you are driving a car. Turns on car mode. Where it can read out SMSs messages out loud, take voice dictation for responses, etc. The meeting agent sycs with your calendar and detects meetings. During the meeting time it automatically puts the phone on silent/vibrate. Plus several other agents.

KSRdallen
05-29-2014, 06:51 AM
TeamViewer is awesome and free. I've got the app on my iPhone and iPad. Put the sofware on your computer from their website.

I can access my work computer (with VPN running) or my home computer from anywhere. It's like sitting at my work/home desk. The interface is very clean and it allows me access the servers at work where I store all of my files.

KSRdallen
05-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Office Suite Pro is on sale for $0.99. It is normally $14.99. I just purchased it!

More to come....

Darrell KSR
05-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Great price, good PSA!

I use it frequently enough; it's very solid and a good price for software at the $15 price. At $1, you can't go wrong.

KSRBEvans
08-08-2014, 01:25 PM
This is not in app form (yet), but it's a great site that I highly recommend for Netflix streaming users.

A Better Queue allows you to filter streaming movies by Rotten Tomatoes rating, number of movie reviews, year made and about 27 different genres. I played around with it for a few minutes this afternoon and found a lot of movies I didn't know were available on Netflix.

http://abetterqueue.com/

PedroDaGr8
08-09-2014, 04:54 PM
This one isn't an app as much as it adds functionality to Google Now. With Commandr for Google Now (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.Commandr) you can add control to a variety of functions on your phone. All via Google Now voice commands. Now you can use Google Now to control your flashlight, toggle settings, control music playback, and much more. Plus custom commands via tasker. You can do things like read unread SMS messages outloud, skip tracks, turn your bluetooth on and off, etc.

KSRBEvans
08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Spotify has upgraded their app so you can now create playlists and play any song in their library for free. The premium plan ($9.99/month) allows you to play those songs in the order you want. But the free plan allows you to play the same songs, just on shuffle.

Comparing it to Pandora, Spotify has fewer songs in their library than Pandora (e.g., no Beatles, among others (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/artists-and-albums-not-available-on-spotify.html)), but Pandora doesn't let you pick the specific songs.

Darrell KSR
11-20-2018, 04:37 AM
Most of the apps here have stood the test of time, great suggestions.

PedroDaGr8
04-30-2020, 03:27 PM
Reviving this topic to add an a couple apps I have found very useful.

Scanbot (soon to be called ScanPro)

I have been needing to sign and/or scan a lot of documents recently from a number of places where a scanner isn't an option. Based upon the advise from others I downloaded this app and purchased the Pro version. I have to say that I am blown away by how good it is. The Pro version is very much worth it for the MagicColor image processor it includes.

Unlike old systems, pretty much everything with this is fully automated. It can determine the document boundaries while taking the picture. Their MagicColor Image Processor then processes the image to correct skew some, remove almost all shadows, and color correct it. It gives you a chance to manually tweak the settings if you want before saving. Once saved, it then converts the image to PDF and OCRs any text in the image into digital text. The only thing it doesn't do is correct for documents which aren't flat.

Original (a photo I took of the document):

A screen capture of the scanned PDF:

You can see some artifacts of the correction (text in the shadowed areas is a bit more bold) but compared to the original (and compared to other apps I have tried) this is exceptional. The pdf version looks very good and I can select pretty much all of the text and paste it into a new document, etc.

phybox

Admittedly, this is a very niche app. It basically converts the various sensors on your phone into useful tools (some more useful than others). Some of the tools: digital level, applause meter, light sensor, sonar distance meter, stopwatch (with acoustic, motion, optical, or proximity triggers), a digital level, audio spectrum, etc.

Darrell KSR
04-30-2020, 05:15 PM
Pedro, following your lead... I abandoned my phone scanning app a couple of years ago due to some issue... Privacy or something that was significant. I don't remember, but my tolerance is pretty high and I don't like to move when I have something working, so whatever the issue, it was pretty big for me to move.

Anyway, I got Simple Scan.

Check it out in the Play Store. I haven't checked in a couple of years, but just checked... Over 5 million downloads, over 146,000 reviews, with a 4.8 star rating.

I only use it for PDF scanning and haven't used the OCR and fax settings, but the PDF scanning is incredible.

Free app, but ads. I don't think there's a Pro version. I almost always buy the Pro version of any app like this that I use frequently (and I use it a ton) to support the developer and save myself an ad. I'll go back and check.

KentuckyWildcat
04-30-2020, 06:15 PM
OneDrive will scan and maybe all the Office apps will scan as well. I just have everyone use OneDrive because they are supposed to be saving their files there anyway.

KSRBEvans
05-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Wow, old thread! I like to see what we were into way back when.

The Sky Motion app I liked in 2013 got sold to AccuWeather which basically killed it. I bought another (Dark Sky) which basically does the same thing. But I heard it just got bought by Apple so I expect that will go away at some point. The Weather Channel app now does a real-time precipitation alert and it works pretty well, so I'll probably just go with that once Apple kills off Dark Sky.

There's a bird-watching app (Merlin Bird) I mentioned in another thread and it's fun.

Now that I'm working from home I'm using Google Voice to speak with clients without them having access to my actual cell number. It has lots of good features and I'm pleased with it.

I've got 6 list-making apps plus the actual iPhone Lists app and none of them really do what I want them to do, but the closest for me is Any.do.

The game I'm into the most right now on my phone is Golf Clash. I probably play it more than I should.

PedroDaGr8
05-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Pedro, following your lead... I abandoned my phone scanning app a couple of years ago due to some issue... Privacy or something that was significant. I don't remember, but my tolerance is pretty high and I don't like to move when I have something working, so whatever the issue, it was pretty big for me to move.

Anyway, I got Simple Scan.

Check it out in the Play Store. I haven't checked in a couple of years, but just checked... Over 5 million downloads, over 146,000 reviews, with a 4.8 star rating.

I only use it for PDF scanning and haven't used the OCR and fax settings, but the PDF scanning is incredible.

Free app, but ads. I don't think there's a Pro version. I almost always buy the Pro version of any app like this that I use frequently (and I use it a ton) to support the developer and save myself an ad. I'll go back and check.

There are a few well regarded scanner apps (Notebloc, Camscanner, Scanbot, Google Lens, Office Lens, etc.). I might throw together a comparison to evaluate a number of them since it seems a few people in this thread use them. Would be good to see how they all stack up.

The Sky Motion app I liked in 2013 got sold to AccuWeather which basically killed it. I bought another (Dark Sky) which basically does the same thing. But I heard it just got bought by Apple so I expect that will go away at some point. The Weather Channel app now does a real-time precipitation alert and it works pretty well, so I'll probably just go with that once Apple kills off Dark Sky.

There's a bird-watching app (Merlin Bird) I mentioned in another thread and it's fun.

Now that I'm working from home I'm using Google Voice to speak with clients without them having access to my actual cell number. It has lots of good features and I'm pleased with it.

I've got 6 list-making apps plus the actual iPhone Lists app and none of them really do what I want them to do, but the closest for me is Any.do.

The game I'm into the most right now on my phone is Golf Clash. I probably play it more than I should.

Haha yeah, I am not sure if I bumped the wrong thread or if my memory is failing (either is possible at this point) because I didn't think the thread was THIS old.

I am VERY angry that Apple purchased DarkSky. That was my go-to weather app on Android and now it isn't an option. There really isn't one similar that I have found.

Out of curiosity, what do you want from your list taking app that they don't do well?

KentuckyWildcat
05-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Any favorite astronomy apps? Android and free :)

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
05-05-2020, 12:35 AM
Good idea to revisit this one.

And yes, I do have one for astronomy, though it's the only one I've tried so I can't compare.

SkyView. It maps the constellations and stars on your phone so you can click and find out about any star you want, and shows the constellations as you look at the sky. not perfect IMO but very fun and cool.

I need a good measurement app. I downloaded one to try but it's complex as heck, will let you know if I figure it out and it's any good. lol.

KSRBEvans
05-05-2020, 10:33 AM
There are a few well regarded scanner apps (Notebloc, Camscanner, Scanbot, Google Lens, Office Lens, etc.). I might throw together a comparison to evaluate a number of them since it seems a few people in this thread use them. Would be good to see how they all stack up.

Haha yeah, I am not sure if I bumped the wrong thread or if my memory is failing (either is possible at this point) because I didn't think the thread was THIS old.

I am VERY angry that Apple purchased DarkSky. That was my go-to weather app on Android and now it isn't an option. There really isn't one similar that I have found.

Out of curiosity, what do you want from your list taking app that they don't do well?

I really like the any.do interface and wish they hadn't bloated it out so much. You can get really granular with tasks/subtasks/dates/etc., but I'm not looking for something that heavy for everyday list making. So a lighter version of it, like they had in early iterations.

catmanjack
05-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Has anyone found the real app that makes you money?

PedroDaGr8
05-12-2020, 05:19 PM

Check out Shadow Weather, it was recommended to me as a DarkSky replacement and so far it fits the bill very well. It also has an intersting thing where you can watch a video and get 24h of the pro features. Great for when you absolutely need them.

KSRBEvans
05-12-2020, 06:01 PM
^Thanks for the tip--I'll check it out.

KSRBEvans
12-30-2022, 11:51 AM

What is with companies buying my favorite weather apps and killing them? AccuWeather bought Sky Motion and killed it. Apple bought Dark Sky and is killing it, effective Sunday.

Anyone have any weather apps they like (besides Weather Channel, Accuweather or Apple Weather)?

blueboss
12-30-2022, 11:59 AM
I use My Radar….works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell KSR
12-30-2022, 12:00 PM
Heading to Nashville and The Music City Bowl in a few minutes, so I can't contribute now. But cool to see the old apps and think about how things have changed (or not.)

dan_bgblue
12-31-2022, 02:23 PM
Weather Underground is a passable App.

There are reversal Youtube sites have quality forecasts, radar, weather maps. but none of them are Apps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmD9PlOWUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY3Ehw7_4Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pykAA1hpWLw

PedroDaGr8
12-31-2022, 09:32 PM
Weather Underground is a passable App.

There are reversal Youtube sites have quality forecasts, radar, weather maps. but none of them are Apps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmD9PlOWUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY3Ehw7_4Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pykAA1hpWLwWeather Underground went to hell when AccuWeather aquired them. I'll check out the channels you linked. There are some great "freelance" weather people out there.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

CitizenBBN
01-06-2023, 03:52 PM
I mostly use NOAA Weather Free on android. it's just a NOAA weather feed wrapper, gives a nicer interface to their feed, which I presume is XML of some format. It has their 7 day forecast, special notices, the hourly charts and their radar feed.

Nothing fancy, esp. the radar, but passable.

I agree on Weather Underground, was a tremendous app and site that got all messed up.

My take on weather apps is that if you can't compete just buy them up and close them up. It worked for US Steel I suppose.

KSRBEvans
01-18-2023, 09:23 AM
I ended up going with an app called Hello Weather (https://helloweather.com/) which does a lot of what Dark Sky did, albeit with more of a cartoony interface.

The downside: they're using the Dark Sky API, which remains active through March. They say they'll switch to another one, so I'll see come April.

KentuckyWildcat
01-18-2023, 09:37 AM
tornado app on iphone is handy. It is white with red tornado on it.

You can set a perimeter for tornado warnings in your area and you can also set it so you are only woken up by tornado warnings. I don't need to get woke up at 3:00 am for flash flood watch.