PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Could Bring Us Within TWO Titles Of Hated UCLA; Closest Since 1969

Darryl
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM
One of the top items of my bucket list is living long enough to surpass the Bruins. I was a junior in high
school when they passed us 5-4 (1968). In 1969 (Alcindor's senior season) they led us by 2.

When they won it all in 1995 (19 years ago) UCLA led us 11-5. It really seemed hopeless we would ever
catch them. Since then, we have 3 titles to their 0. Thank the Lord for that Florida team. They kept the
Bruins from 2 more titles (IMO) in 2006 and 2007. They certainly kept them from at least one more trophy in 2006 when they met in the final game.

I firmly believe if and when we win #9 this season, Cal will stay till we pass them. It may take 5-8 more
years but this is going to happen.

**That is why I insist the 1975 title game loss to UCLA is the single most significant defeat in UK's history. It would have the titles 10-9 right now. Hall would have 2 and be in the Naismith HOF. Wooden would have retired on a losing note. The IU win in the Regional Final + a win in Wooden's last game would have made that 1975 UK team an alltime great type.**

Darryl

anderwt
09-30-2013, 10:12 AM
The way the UCLA program is going, there is no doubt in my mind UK will catch them..I am not sure it will happen under Cal, I hope it does...The UCLA luster is gone...Unless they hire a Calipari type coach, it will never be the same...

UKHistory
09-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Darryl,

I agree on all counts. 1995 was the worst Final Four I can remember: UCLA, UNC, Arkansas, Oklahoma State. 11 to 5. 11 to 8 looks much better. 11 to 9 will look even better.

UCLA and Arizona are two titles that sting. Win those and we are tied right now.

Bakert
09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
The way the UCLA program is going, there is no doubt in my mind UK will catch them..I am not sure it will happen under Cal, I hope it does...The UCLA luster is gone...Unless they hire a Calipari type coach, it will never be the same...

So you're saying Steve Alford ain't that guy? :)

Dokker
09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Darryl - I get pumped just thinking about it.

Anyone starting to view this season as a "must win title" year? I know that's a ton of pressure to bestow upon a young team, but with all this talent we really can't afford to miss another title opportunity (like 2010). Plus, if we don't win it, my fear is Louisville could easily sneak in and steal another one.