PDA

View Full Version : After week 3, where do you focus?

Catonahottinroof
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
And pick up the pieces? Florida's run game is going to be brutal on us. How do you gameplan it?

truecatsfan
09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Really i dont see any pieces to pick up. Go back and watch how many times we had D ends covering people.

jimbo4uk
09-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Basketball.

Catfan73
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
I've decided that my focus for the rest of our home games will be out in the blue lot with Elijah Craig, leaving my seat empty in protest.

Darrell KSR
09-17-2012, 06:06 AM
I was going to be cynical and say, "on the search committee," but I won't. Then again, I guess I just did.

For this week's game, I think you have to focus on what Florida is doing well, and game plan to slow it down. I haven't watched Florida play other than just a few minutes Saturday, so I don't really know them that well or their personnel--not that I would be qualified to say anyway. I think you have to try to get Maxwell Smith's confidence back, and assume the 4 picks were a fluke, that it was a learning experience, and allow him to put the ball in the air judiciously again. Against Florida, however, it may be even more important to move the ball on the ground and maintain possession, grind clock, etc.

Catfan73
09-17-2012, 08:39 AM
I think the picks were mostly as much a result of poor route running as they were poor decision making. I expect to see a couple more against the Gators.

As for gameplanning, I don't know if Florida has any glaring weaknesses to try to exploit. I'm expecting a beat-down that's over by halftime unfortunately.

SalsaKat
09-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Income. Sorry for going on this spiel again, but it seems to me that UK is between a rock and a hard place. Investing enough in football to be competitive, in the SEC no less, would be an absolutely staggering undertaking. Add to that the fact that we can't bond any of this ridiculous expense. Furthermore, the UK fans with the big checkbooks, the Joe Crafts and other coal magnates (not to single him out, he's just the only one I can name), likely aren't aware UK has a football team. And I'm pretty sure you can't spend a donation check on football that says "basketball" in the memo line (right next to where a recruit's name has been scribbled out... ZING!). So even if you wanted to improve the product, where is this money coming from?

So you could spend hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars in money that as far as I know doesn't exist, and since you play in the SEC probably not have more than 1 or 2 more wins a year to show for it. Or you could take the SEC "welfare" check for a not insignificant amount of money and hoard what's left after spending the bare minimum.

All this makes me wonder if we don't end up honoring the remainder of Joker's contract instead of throwing money away on a buyout.

Sorry, in a bad mood today and just felt like ranting. But I guess the point of the story is, maybe we don't focus on anything. Maybe we just stop trying.

(And if you want a real answer, I say line play. Both sides of the ball were getting pushed around by far inferior teams.)

LakeCat
09-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Keeping Max Smith alive. He barely survived WKU and I can't see it getting better for him here on out.

Catonahottinroof
09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
We have tO protect Max, no question. It still comes down to stopping Florida's run, and UK shortening the game with the run.
It seems we have focused on being pass first, run second or as a diversion. Our SEC brothers can cover our wideouts in man coverage. Max better get to be buddies with his tight end, or hit the crossing routes properly. Otherwise he will be picked 4 times again.
Both o & D lines were to be experienced, strengths. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are blocked easily, even pushed around to an extent.
I'm trying not to give up on them...