PDA

View Full Version : CBS' Rothstein: "Hearing Randle Is Taking And Making 3s For UK. Lethal If He Adds It"

Darryl
09-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Read on another site. I can just hear the cries from the gallery.."we don't want him shooting 3s".."he needs to play
just inside"...

Well, I think Mashburn did okay letting them fly from 25 feet out, and he still dominated inside. I think the more ways
this monster can score, the better for my Cats.

Darryl

StuBleedsBlue2
09-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Good to hear. I don't care how tall a player is. If he can hit the 3 at a good percentage, take it.

Darryl
09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Good to hear. I don't care how tall a player is. If he can hit the 3 at a good percentage, take it.

Al Maguire once said if he were coaching in the 3 point era, his teams would take 30 threes a game and 30 layups. Nothing else.

Darryl

cattails
09-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Wiggins has weaknesses, I think we are going to find out Randle has none. Let's not forget he was not seen on a basketball court for sometime while he was healing up. I think Wiggins has some stronger parts to his game than Randle, but according to the people I talk to Randle has none and that includes 3 point shooting. He has a wonderful stroke, nothing funky about it. Open floor Wiggins, hands down, but the game is not just played in the open court. Randle has a very good open court game, shoots from deep, mid range game, post moves, can put the game on the floor, can overpower players...................what is not to like?????? Answer.......nothing, very complete player. Wiggins excels in certain areas, after that he has weaknesses. Randle has lots of talent around him, all will share the ball, but when the game is on the line he is your go to guy and everyone knows it, on both teams. He will do a number of things and that is not always scoring the ball. Put to much attention on Randle and he will find the easy basket for his team mates. Both Randle and Wiggins are #1A picks, of the 2 only one IMO is a sure thing. Want to guess which one that is???

Padukacat
09-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Randle will shoot whrever he wants methinks

Edward100
09-23-2013, 07:28 PM
It’s silly to limit any player. If he or any player can hit shots consistently form wherever why not let him shoot? If the same player feels he has to take ever shot or is selfish with the ball then that’s another matter.

Krank
09-23-2013, 07:38 PM
He doesn't seem the type to limit his game to any one dimension, thus I am not worried about a "Terrence Jones as a Freshman" syndrome. What I think will be more interesting to see is whether or not Randle will shoot a little more from long 2-pt range than definitive 3-pt range.

I am guessing he will be better than the average Summer report on a player that is reported to be "expanding his game to outside the arc", meaning we hear that kind of stuff pretty often, but it can be a red herring at times.

Either way, Randle may be the incoming Freshman I have worried least about since I saw Sam Bowie before his injuries.

dan_bgblue
09-23-2013, 08:19 PM
I would much rather see him shoot 45% form 12-15 feet than 30% behind the arc. That scores the same number of points, but he gets fouled much more on the 12-15 foot shots than he would on the 3's. I also think the is a much greater chance of going 50% at the 12-15 mark than 33% beyond the arc

blueboss
09-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Shooting threes when he's open is one thing, but if he's out beyond the arc shooting that takes him out of the offensive board equation, and from earlier reports JR is going to make a living on put backs.

cattails
09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I would much rather see him shoot 45% form 12-15 feet than 30% behind the arc. That scores the same number of points, but he gets fouled much more on the 12-15 foot shots than he would on the 3's. I also think the is a much greater chance of going 50% at the 12-15 mark than 33% beyond the arc

Dan when he plays the 3, I think you will see a few 3 pointers to keep the defense honest. Once they move up he goes to the basket. I don't think he plays a lot at the 3, but in certain match ups I look for it. Cal has a world of options with this team.

KeithKSR
09-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Randle is an Elton Brand/Zach Randolph beast in the paint with a perimeter jumper.

Krank
09-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Randle is an Elton Brand/Zach Randolph beast in the paint with a perimeter jumper.

Wow, Keith, that might be the most RIGHT ON comparison I have seen. I have always liked Brand a lot. I recall defending him with gusto to my Chicago peeps who seemed to think he would be a big bust when they drafted him at #1. His early career with the Bulls was pretty damn good... so smooth and really really excellent use of his wingspan, given his lack of significant lack of height when playing at the 5.