PDA

View Full Version : Fellow gun advocates, we're not alone.

badrose
09-24-2013, 08:29 AM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/listicles/dc_mass_shooting_prompts_surprising_gun_control_re actions

suncat05
09-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Very interesting that the arguments are not trending towards more legislation, but against it. And yet the other side continues to lie and cloud the issue as much as possible. But not surprising to me.

CitizenBBN
09-24-2013, 08:27 PM
The biggest reaction I've head from people is shock that a major military base is basically a gun free zone once you get in the gates, with no MPs or anyone else actually ARMED and able to defend the facility, be it from one lunatic or a truckload of terrorists storming the place. What the heck were they going to do if it WAS a terror attack? They could have overwhelmed the gate security pretty easy from what I've seen of it, then have free reign throughout the base. This is security?

Apparently US military bases aren't much more hardened or prepared to fend off a terrorist attack than your local post office.

People I know didn't lament the fact that this guy got a gun, they're dumbfounded the US navy didn't have them. The implicit statement is therefore that the solution was MORE guns, just in the hands of the right people.

of course as the survey shows, the obvious insight is that Americans are beginning to see how messed up our mental health system has become and how that is probably the best place to start given the near impossibility of limiting the full range of options available to harm others if you're crazy enough to desire such a thing. Boston showed people that any fool can make a bomb and kill people, this showed people that even a hunting gun that has been sold in basic design for 100 years is enough to commit a mass shooting. in short they're seeing that the anti-gunner line that if we "just ban these certain guns it'll be better" is a lie, a dead end road that won't help enough to make a difference if at all.

So if banning things won't work, as Boston and the Navy Yard killings both show, the next alternative is to just have fewer untreated lunatics running around in our midst. Not easy either, but at least it targets the problem more precisely.