PDA

View Full Version : TIFWIW But Multiple Reliable Posters (Elsewhere) Reporting UK Has Another Commitment

Darryl
09-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Won't be made public for a week to 3 weeks but several are convinced it has indeed happened. The general
feeling is that it is Booker but he still has an official to his Dad's alma mater (Missouri) the 2nd week of October.
Booker would be a great get; ranked #16 and a 5* by ESPN. Won the 3 point shooting contest recently by
drilling 18-25, 19-25 and 18-25 (55-75 overall in 3 minutes).

The word is he is a very high character kid too.

We may end with Ulis, Booker, Oubre and Johnson as our guards/wings.

Darryl

GhettoBird
09-17-2013, 06:37 PM
I think Cal wants Blackmon also, so he can play the one. Read that elsewhere.

dtalbersjr
09-17-2013, 07:37 PM
I've seen the same thing. Like you, my guess, and it's only a guess, is that it's Booker. I hope so. There are more highly rated players, but it's always great to have a shooter of his caliber.

Crazy4Blue
09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
I think that it may be Trey Lyles. Cal had an in-home visit with him last night.

CitizenBBN
09-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I think Cal wants Blackmon also, so he can pay the one. Read that elsewhere.

Great. more rumors about us paying players. ;)

dan_bgblue
09-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Based solely on Docs eye witness reports on Booker, I hope he lands elsewhere. He sounds like a Wiltjer type spot up and wait for the ball type shooter

LarryVaught1
09-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Just talked to Booker's coach. Cal did not make recent in-home visit like other coaches. Could be due to Booker already commiting. Cold be due to Blackmon committing.who knows

GhettoBird
09-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Great. more rumors about us paying players. ;)

I fixed it. Lol

KeithKSR
09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I thought the word following the alumni game was that Booker and Ulis both committed on the visit?

Bakert
09-17-2013, 08:52 PM
My guess is that whoever it is he's not very good. You know, because all the really good players are going to Kansas. :)

Darryl
09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Apparently, this guy says it will be Blackmon.

Darryl

CitizenBBN
09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I fixed it. Lol

Cover up! Cover up! Typical Kentucky and Cal! :4chsmu1:

Terminus
09-17-2013, 09:48 PM
That would be a nice get if true, D. I love getting the twofer of having another legacy player and incensing the evil horde. I particularly liked Doc's assessment of his shooting prowess and the ability to create his own shot. Hope it pans out.

Darryl
09-17-2013, 09:52 PM
That would be a nice get if true, D. I love getting the twofer of having another legacy player and incensing the evil horde. I particularly liked Doc's assessment of his shooting prowess and the ability to create his own shot. Hope it pans out.

IIRC, Blackmon shot 54% from the floor, 48% on 3s and 90% on FTs his junior season. Ulis shoots 89% on FTs and 41% from 3.

I love that shooting!!

Darryl

ShoesSwayedBlue
09-17-2013, 10:04 PM
I really hope it's Blackmon. Great shooter who can play some point and that gives Cal the flexibility to sign two of the three of Booker, Oubre and Johnson. Or all three even. I'd be okay with that. :happy0001:

ukpumacat
09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
If it is Blackmon, what is holding up an announcement?

BarristerCat
09-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Does he have any in-homes left? Other than that if it really is him then I'd guess its just the same as whatever is always holding these things up for a brief time.

According to Larry's conversation with Booker's coach, Booker is visiting Mizzou on 10/19. That's four weeks from now. So, he wouldn't really fit in the 1-3 week timeline for going public.

uklandrn
09-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I am ok with Booker being a spot shooter if he has good lateral movement and can play defense. Wiltjer's main liability was on the defensive end of the court. If his shot wasn't falling he brought NOTHING to the court. If Booker can d it up - then bring him on!!

CitizenBBN
09-17-2013, 10:53 PM

He has to live in Indiana between now and next May would be my guess as to why he might want to keep it quiet, though just waiting 3 weeks nixes that theory if that's really the timetable. I like barrister's idea of it being to deal with visits or similar if it really happens in a few weeks. I also never discount Cal wanting to time it to maximize exposure of it or time with another recruit in some way. Will probably get more air time if we get it closer to the season starting as basketball coverage picks up. All just swags.

Kacat
09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
If I'm living in IN and a former IU commit the LAST thing I would want to do is announce going to UK prior to the season. Mr Basketball out the window and redneck IU fans booing and spitting on me during games. Heck if I was those guys I would wait to announce in April.

Rock Hard Ten
09-18-2013, 08:23 AM
We actually likely have more than one commitment.....Cal plays this game strategically.....he has done it before i.e. ask "commits" to delay announcing.....and, he is likely doing it now

Darrell KSR
09-18-2013, 08:30 AM
If I'm living in IN and a former IU commit the LAST thing I would want to do is announce going to UK prior to the season. Mr Basketball out the window and redneck IU fans booing and spitting on me during games. Heck if I was those guys I would wait to announce in April.

Me, too.

Darryl
09-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Cal may want JBJ to hold off so Self has to divert energy and resources on him. This will
allow Cal to go 100% after the other KU target, Oubre.

Darryl

Darryl
09-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Me, too.

If I was living in Indiana...I would move.

Darryl

TRUCKERCATFAN
09-18-2013, 08:43 AM
If I was living in Indiana...I would move.

Darryl

If you or I were living in Indiana, the state IQ would double!

UKHistory
09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Going back to the late 1980s when Shawn Kemp was playing high school ball, Indiana's Mr. Basketball became very political. Rarely has a player picked an out of state school and earned the award.

StuBleedsBlue2
09-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Shouldn't Trey Lyles win Mr Basketball?

jazyd
09-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Much better than KW, he does play some defense and can move his feet

Based solely on Docs eye witness reports on Booker, I hope he lands elsewhere. He sounds like a Wiltjer type spot up and wait for the ball type shooter

TRUCKERCATFAN
09-18-2013, 09:52 AM

That happens in KY as well. Remember the Scotty Hopson/Darius Miller HS senior year? Hopson was a consensus 5-Star guy and a McDs All American. Darius was good as well but the prevailing national opinion was that Hopson was the best player from the state. Darius committed to UK early and that pretty much sealed the Mr Basketball award for him.

Now in hindsight, there is no doubt Darius was the better player IMO.

CitizenBBN
09-18-2013, 10:07 AM

I'd announce via phone once I crossed into Kentucky with the stuff going in my dorm room, not a second before.

BarristerCat
09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
That happens in KY as well. Remember the Scotty Hopson/Darius Miller HS senior year? Hopson was a consensus 5-Star guy and a McDs All American. Darius was good as well but the prevailing national opinion was that Hopson was the best player from the state. Darius committed to UK early and that pretty much sealed the Mr Basketball award for him.

Now in hindsight, there is no doubt Darius was the better player IMO.

In actually watching the two of them play, there was never any doubt that Miller was the better high school player, IMO. I said that on the board many times before their senior season. Hopson was a classic highlight reel player and that's what got him ranked so highly -- all the athletic ability in the world. When it actually came to playing a real, non-AAU high school game with real offense and defense, though, Hopson just wouldn't do anything. Didn't play defense. Wouldn't participate in the offensive sets. It was like watching one guy play a pick up game while everyone else around him was playing a real game. He got most/all of his points by getting the ball high and isolating on an inferior high school defender.

The process might very well have been political, but there were plenty of people on the state high school scene saying Miller was the better player even before he committed to Kentucky.

ukpumacat
09-18-2013, 11:37 AM
We actually likely have more than one commitment.....Cal plays this game strategically.....he has done it before i.e. ask "commits" to delay announcing.....and, he is likely doing it now

That is exactly my thought as well. Just wanted to see what others thought.