PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Carter is wishing he thought of this

KSRBEvans
09-15-2012, 09:16 AM
The State Department told reporters Friday afternoon that it won't answer any more questions about the Sept. 11 attack on the consulate in Benghazi that killed four Americans until the investigation into the incident is complete.

"I'm going to frustrate all of you, infinitely, by telling you that now that we have an open FBI investigation on the death of these four Americans, we are not going to be in a position to talk at all about what the U.S. government may or may not be learning about how any of this this happened -- not who they were, not how it happened, not what happened to Ambassador Stevens, not any of it -- until the Justice Department is ready to talk about the investigation that's its got," State Department spokeswoman Victorian Nuland told reporters late Friday afternoon.

"So I'm going to send to the FBI for those kinds of questions and they're probably not going to talk to you about it," she said.

Article (http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/09/14/state_department_stop_asking_us_about_the_benghazi _attack)

Show of hands for those who think the FBI investigation will be complete before Election Day? Yeah, me neither.

Somewhere Jimmy Carter's having a V8 moment. He just could've declared any questions about the Iranian hostage crisis off-limits due to the ongoing nature of some investigation.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
So a law enforcement agency created as a federal level civilian agency has now been sent to investigate an incident that is neither civilian in nature or even within the US (despite being officially US soil). What does the FBI have to do with an international attack on the US?

Maybe that's the right group and I'm being picky, but the US Marines are charged with security for US embassies and the military (including the Navy) have their own investigative entities. I would expect any "investigation" to come from them and the CIA, and I'm not sure there's an "investigation" here but more of a military style damage assessment and response.

I just see this as a military matter, not for domestic law enforcement. Maybe that's an aside.

It does make me wonder if it's not in order to say it's an "ongoing investigation" and of course it's SOP for agencies of all kinds to not comment on ongoing investigations. As you suggest, a way to suppress coverage of the situation close to the election. If no one is commenting it helps to kill the story. Doesn't force it, but helps.

Doc
09-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I always thought the FBI was for crimes WITHIN the borders of our country.

dan_bgblue
09-15-2012, 03:00 PM
They do have jurisdiction outside the country boundaries if they are working on property owned by the USA. Navy ships, military bases and embassies would fall into this category

jazyd
09-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Were all 4 murdered on embassy grounds? I thought the ambassador the one non seal were killed elsewhere

I take their statement the same as jay carney, covering their butts. Carney is an embarrassment, he is either a ful fledged liberal who thinks he is telling the truth, he loves his cushy job and will do whatever it takes to retain it, or just plain stupid. To come out and say this uprising has nothing to do with the US or our policies is beyond stupid. But that is this administration.

They do have jurisdiction outside the country boundaries if they are working on property owned by the USA. Navy ships, military bases and embassies would fall into this category

Doc
09-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Were all 4 murdered on embassy grounds? I thought the ambassador the one non seal were killed elsewhere

I take their statement the same as jay carney, covering their butts. Carney is an embarrassment, he is either a ful fledged liberal who thinks he is telling the truth, he loves his cushy job and will do whatever it takes to retain it, or just plain stupid. To come out and say this uprising has nothing to do with the US or our policies is beyond stupid. But that is this administration.

He says what the administration tells him to say. If he went off script, he wouldn't have a job long. Its the same with all press secretaries. They are suppose to be the mouthpiece for the administration.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm sure they have legal authority b/c it's US soil, but I doubt the appropriateness of the choice. Just like on ships, I presume such things to be better handled by the Navy, at least unless there are extenuating circumstances.

This was an attack, not a crime IMO. FBI investigates crimes, the military and our intelligence community respond to attacks. I guess I just don't agree with categorizing it as a crime. If an embassy worker killed another person at the embassy, that I can see as a crime and a FBI matter. People coming over the walls with guns isn't a crime to me. It may be a violation of international law but it's a military situation.

The FBI doesn't have the intelligence information the CIA/NSA would have on those responsible, nor the experience in security the Marines would have at the facility. I'm sure they'll work with those agencies, but I have more faith in the military in this situation, including getting cooperation from CIA/NSA.

CitizenBBN
09-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm also curious what the FBI will conclude and the point of such investigation.

They won't say "this was caused by X policy decision". They can't order a response or for operatives to whack those responsible. They can't arrest anyone in Libya, though they could file for extradition. that's if they can name names, which is highly unlikely to me.

There's no question about whodunit. They can recommend security changes but they aren't experts in that any more than the military.

I guess I just fail to see the point of their efforts. Maybe I'm missing something.

jazyd
09-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I realize that, which is why he is either stupid, wants to keep his cushy job, or is a flaming liberal. No one with balls or brains would go out and continue to do what he does and sleep at night.

He says what the administration tells him to say. If he went off script, he wouldn't have a job long. Its the same with all press secretaries. They are suppose to be the mouthpiece for the administration.

suncat05
09-16-2012, 09:27 AM
But CBBN, this is the very same administration that wanted to try Muslim terrorists in a civilian criminal court in New York City for crimes, not terrorism..............
Bottom line here, this administration has no earthly idea what it's doing and everything they do smacks of Ted Mack's Amatuer Hour, plain and simple.
Although, to be truthful with you, I wonder whose side they're on, because sometimes it damn sure doesn't appear to be on AMERICA's side..........:mad:

cattails
09-17-2012, 06:08 AM
I always thought the FBI was for crimes WITHIN the borders of our country.

That is only a law unless we decide to do it another way, then it is a new law. Laws were written for Americans to follow or go to jail, now laws are written for the government to change as they please, it is the new American way.

dan_bgblue
09-17-2012, 07:52 AM
In the past few years, the FBI's role has been expanded to the investigation of terrorism and sharing their findings with US and allied foreign law enforcement departments.