PDA

View Full Version : Question for Guitar players

Scout714
08-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I bought a Seagull acoustic guitar about a year ago. Despite my complete lack of rhythm I love trying to play. I always wipe it down with a soft rag before putting it back into the case. I keep the rag in the case and don't use it on anything else. My question is.....should it ever be wiped with any kind of "wood protection product" and what would you recommend? I assume you don't spray it down with Pledge.

Here is the wood used to make my guitar

Top : Select Pressure Tested Solid Cedar

Back & Sides : Canadian Wild Cherry

Neck : Silver Leaf Maple Integrated Set Neck

Fingerboard & Bridge : Rosewood

Nut & Saddle : Compensated Tusq® by Graphtech

Truss Rod : Double Function

Finish : Semi-Gloss Custom Polished Finish w/Gloss Top

DanISSELisdaman
08-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I use a slightly damp cloth to wipe my instruments clean, then dry them. I then spray Martin guitar polish on a dry cloth and rub the instrument down good. Then use a dry cloth to shine it.

blueboss
08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Usually do this when changing strings and while they're off a little lemon oil on a cloth for the fret board followed by a clean cloth wipe down, everything else i use a damp cloth followed by a dry cloth wipe down. I've used "guitar cleaner" before too, it's readily available and inexpensive..no matter what you use always apply to the cloth not the guitar. After a good cleaning I've used turtle wax, a little on a cloth goes a long ways, and then polish with a clean cloth. The wax will help keep body oils and dust and grime easier to clean off with a damp cloth. Try to keep the wax off the fret side when waxing the neck.

DanISSELisdaman
08-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Sesame seed oil is also great for the fingerboard. Apply a small amount and let it soak in for 5 minutes or so and wipe off the excess. I never comes back to the surface.

Scout714
08-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the help