PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Thread

PedroDaGr8
09-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Is there anything more uniquely American/Kentucky than bourbon?

Here's a bottle I picked up today for my bosses birthday:

Willett Pot Still Reserve. Bottle 81 of 273 from barrel 2424.
477 478

These pics were taken in my lab with my phone.

Doc
09-14-2012, 04:41 PM
I too have a bottle of Willert (bottle 142 of 274 out of barrell 5531). It rates an 8 for me. I also have a bottle of Pappy 15 year old due on October 1 (I had to reserve the bottle back in July-or should say my wife did, for my birthday). Last night I cracked a bottle of Single Oak Project (barrell 125) Buffalo Trace and it did not meet expectation. I still have an unopened bottle of Basil Hayden (never had that particular bourbon) which is next on my list...after I finish off the Pappy 18 I have almost knocked off.

CGWildcat
09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm attending a Cigar Dinner tonight at a local restaurant featuring Angel's Envy http://www.sallytomatoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/cigardinner09141.pdf

PedroDaGr8
09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
I too have a bottle of Willert (bottle 142 of 274 out of barrell 5531). It rates an 8 for me. I also have a bottle of Pappy 15 year old due on October 1 (I had to reserve the bottle back in July-or should say my wife did, for my birthday). Last night I cracked a bottle of Single Oak Project (barrell 125) Buffalo Trace and it did not meet expectation. I still have an unopened bottle of Basil Hayden (never had that particular bourbon) which is next on my list...after I finish off the Pappy 18 I have almost knocked off.

Well my boss decided that we should try it (who am I to argue with my boss). So we opened the bottle in the main hallway at work (by the coffee machine) and tried it. I was REALLY REALLY surprised by this bourbon, it was really different but in a good way. Make no mistake, it is strong and has a bite. This is the most prominent feature up front, which usually means I will not like the bourbon at all, but the bite fades quickly to a surprisingly large amount of flavor. Heavy vanilla, lots of oak (but NO char flavor), some caramel, a slight but of spiciness, a bit of sweetness and some residual bite from the alcohol. The biggest thing for me is no medicinal/chemical-ness to it that I often find in bourbons (even ones like Woodford Reserve). This is a damn enjoyable bourbon. I'm sure there are better ones out there since I have not tried much of the high end/less well known bourbons; but I have to say this one is really damn tasty. It's not TOO bad price wise either, plus the bottle makes for an impressive gift.

dan_bgblue
09-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Pedro, since the previous thread about bourbon was left behind, I do not remember if you ever tried any Elijah Craig. It is by far my favorite sipping bourbon and I honestly do not go shopping for the more obscure brands. At one time or another, I have tried all the top rated ones and still come home to EC.

If you have not tried it, I recommend that you give it a shot.

btw. after reading some reviews of the Willett I do believe I will give it a try just to see, and as you said, you get a nifty bottle in the bargain. Did you buy the 8 or the 10 year old?

One of the nicknames for the Willett is "CaramelCorn"

Catfan73
09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm with Dan. I quit buying anything but 12 year old Elijah Craig about 3 or 4 years ago.

TonyRay
09-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm with Dan. I quit buying anything but 12 year old Elijah Craig about 3 or 4 years ago.
So you two are the reason we keep running out of it at Heaven Hill. :p

dan_bgblue
09-14-2012, 10:31 PM

As long as you guys in Bardstown don't mess it up, it will always be in short supply.;)

In the old thread you mentioned a "replacement" for it, but I do not remember what it is and I do not shop for bourbon that often, but I promised myself I would try your recommended label. Would you share it again?

Thanks

suncat05
09-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I just bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve. Very good, so smooth going down.

wes011
09-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Doc - Let me know if you ever need another bottle of Pappy I might be able to help you locate one. A very good friend of mine is in the bourbon industry and does a lot of work with the Van Winkle family. In fact for my birthday she gave me a bottle of 15 year Pappy Van Winkle that was signed by Preston himself. Needless to say, that bottle will never be opened.

My favorite bourbon is the 15 year Pappy Van Winkle, the 23 year has to much of an oak taste for my pallet. Of course, Pappy is expensive so I don't drink it often only when I go out to nice dinners. Some other staples in my bourbon cabinet include Basil Hayden's and Four Roses Single Barrel. Both good bourbons.

TonyRay
09-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't know if it a replacement per say, but Evan Williams 1783 is pretty good for the money.

dan_bgblue
09-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Pretty sure that is the one you mentioned before. Thanks

Catfan73
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM

I love any excuse to play this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyo043IyCLQ&feature=related

bigronhahn1011
09-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve, and Elijah Craig 12 year old all in my cabinet. Each have their own unique taste and I like each one equally. But when it comes to drinking one with a Coke to me there is none better than Buffalo Trace.

bigronhahn1011
09-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Never heard that song before, CF73 but remember when that happened just like yesterday. I live about 15 miles North East of Bardstown and you could see the glow for miles. Heard many stories of the river running down the hill that was on fire, crossing and melting the highway, and setting ablaze to the Rolling Fork River.

dan_bgblue
09-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Angel's Envy, Woodford Reserve, and Elijah Craig 12 year old all in my cabinet. Each have their own unique taste and I like each one equally. But when it comes to drinking one with a Coke to me there is none better than Buffalo Trace.

Gotta mix something with BT to overcome the chemical taste.:p

Doc
09-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Doc - Let me know if you ever need another bottle of Pappy I might be able to help you locate one. A very good friend of mine is in the bourbon industry and does a lot of work with the Van Winkle family. In fact for my birthday she gave me a bottle of 15 year Pappy Van Winkle that was signed by Preston himself. Needless to say, that bottle will never be opened.

My favorite bourbon is the 15 year Pappy Van Winkle, the 23 year has to much of an oak taste for my pallet. Of course, Pappy is expensive so I don't drink it often only when I go out to nice dinners. Some other staples in my bourbon cabinet include Basil Hayden's and Four Roses Single Barrel. Both good bourbons.

The store we ordered the last bottle from recommended the 15 over the 23 so that is where my wife went. PVW is by far my favorite bourbon, so much so that I don't want to drink it. Wellers is one of my preferred every day sippin bourbons. Reasonable price, good flavor. B.T and W.R. also fall in that catagory but are a bit harder to find down here. One of the local stores carries Weller's on a regular basis. Have started doing the same with B.T. plus I can get W.R. at BJ wholesale club but that is about 10 miles up the road.

Doc
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Devil's Cut is another one on my shelf. The claim to fame is Jim Beam is able to extract the "angels cut" out of the barrell and that is used to make Devil's cut.

Lfbj00
09-17-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm gonna stick with mine. But I am getting interested in the Elijah!!!

blue2ksr
09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Several years ago, a friend of mine drank some Wild Turkey and then had a dream the Mafia was after him.

He hasn't touched it since.

Lfbj00
09-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Several years ago, a friend of mine drank some Wild Turkey and then had a dream the Mafia was after him.

He hasn't touched it since.

I've had a few dreams after some gobble-gobble myself!!!