PDA

View Full Version : What is this a map of?

KSRBEvans
08-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Without checking the properties or url (the url gives it away):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/files/2013/08/duck-dynasty-heat-map.jpg

Here's the article that discusses the map:

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/08/22/red-america-blue-america-and-reality-tv/)

suncat05
08-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I haven't opened the link. Is it a legislative district map of some sort?

KSRBEvans
08-23-2013, 01:45 PM
That is the viewer map for the season premiere of Duck Dynasty. Red is high viewership--the deeper the red, the higher the viewership. Blue is low--the deeper the blue, the lower the viewership. Mirrors the Presidential electoral maps in a lot of ways, doesn't it?

I had no interest in the show but my wife started watching it in the spring and I have to admit, I like it better than I thought it would and really liked the Robertson family the more I read about them. Phil Robertson's story (the Dad in the show) is especially inspiring.

BigBlueBrock
08-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I haven't opened the link. Is it a legislative district map of some sort?

I thought so too, at first, but the outlines don't follow district lines (many of the outlined areas cross state lines). I had to cheat and follow the link to find out that they are "Designated Market Areas," i.e., areas marked off for TV ratings purposes. Red areas highlight DMAs where viewership of "Duck Dynasty" was above the national average. Blue areas are where viewership was below the national average.

dan_bgblue
08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Electricity rates?

Doc
08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
First time I've ever been proud to be in a blue state. Sorry but I don't watch DD. Sort of an upscale honey boo boo IMO

BigBluePappy
08-23-2013, 09:17 PM
I like me some Phil Robertson, I truly do.

CitizenBBN
08-24-2013, 12:31 AM
A measure of common sense intensity where the warmer the zone the more likely you are to know s*** from Shinola?