PDA

View Full Version : Bored teens kill baseball player

jazyd
08-19-2013, 11:50 PM
A college baseball player from Australia, playing for Central Ok, was at his girlfriends parents visiting and went to jog. 3 teens, 15-16-17, saw him and decided they wanted to kill someone because they were bored. Followed him in a car and shot him the back. He would have been a senior.

Hope they fry the kids

Jeeepcat
08-20-2013, 12:04 AM
got a link?

Jeeepcat
08-20-2013, 12:05 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23227500/bored-teenagers-murder-college-baseball-player

ukpumacat
08-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Wtf?

GhettoBird
08-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Really mind boggling.

badrose
08-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Also, the police chief said that two of the three boys have previously been in trouble with the law.

Lane was a resident of Australia and had just returned to Oklahoma last week.

The local district attorney is expected to file first-degree murder charges Tuesday in Stephens County District Court. It's not yet known if the three individuals will be tried as juveniles or adults.

Well, two of the three should have known better. Fry them, give the other life in prison. This kind of thing just boggles my mind. No empathy, no sense of right/wrong, no fear of consequences,...animals.

jazyd
08-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I would definitely try them as adults

UKHistory
08-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Just when I feel pretty comfortable with my anti-death penalty stance you read something like this. Prayers for everyone. What a tragic waste of 4 lives.

Darrell KSR
08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Just when I feel pretty comfortable with my anti-death penalty stance you read something like this. Prayers for everyone. What a tragic waste of 4 lives.

Yeah, me, too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Padukacat
08-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Who does this? How could a person living life ever decide to take another's with no reason? Especially a group of them, you would think one would have some sense!

MTcatfan
08-20-2013, 09:53 AM
This is just sick...Hits home a little bit because the community college I work currently has 2 Australian's playing baseball for our baseball team, one is a freshman, who I have not met yet, and the other is a sophmore who is just the greatest kid. I just can't even fathom something bad happening to them.

Catonahottinroof
08-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Gotta wonder if this was a gang initiation...

LakeCat
08-20-2013, 12:03 PM
They certainly will be tried as adults but are not eligible for the death penalty because they are under 18 at time of crime. This age group 15-17 is one of the most dangerous in our society today. They think they are bullet proof and that as minors they won't face much consequences if caught. Do not confront them if it can be avoided because they will gun you down in a heart beat.

Thedonnie123
08-20-2013, 02:03 PM
This age group 15-17 is one of the most dangerous in our society today. They think they are bullet proof and that as minors they won't face much consequences if caught. Do not confront them if it can be avoided because they will gun you down in a heart beat.

What a gross and unfair overstatement. It's this mentality that leads to the divides that we see between cultures in our communities. They will gun you down in a heartbeat? Are you talking about any 15-17 year old or just ones that look like they're trouble? Gee, I wonder why some of these kids feel like they are being marginalized.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I can't stand when people go off on "kids these days." People of all ages (and color, gender, nationality, etc.) are capable of causing trouble. To specify a particular demographic is shameful.

Jeeepcat
08-20-2013, 02:23 PM
What a gross and unfair overstatement. It's this mentality that leads to the divides that we see between cultures in our communities. They will gun you down in a heartbeat? Are you talking about any 15-17 year old or just ones that look like they're trouble? Gee, I wonder why some of these kids feel like they are being marginalized.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I can't stand when people go off on "kids these days." People of all ages (and color, gender, nationality, etc.) are capable of causing trouble. To specify a particular demographic is shameful.

In principal I want to agree with your ideal - but that's what it is IMO.

No, we shouldn't "lump people together" but much of what he said is true. Yes all demographics are capable of such things but this case is about bored kids killing a man.

Coddling has led to power - power which is used to do whatever the hell they want with no regard for others. The gang mentality (like a group of people not crips and bloods) is a real issue. Get more than a few marginal kids together and suddenly VERY bad things can happen.

Look at the case of the mentally handicapped adult in Louisville who was nearly beaten to death by several young people just for the hell of it. They DO think they are above consequence and they DO think they can do and take whatever they want. And in many instances it IS very dangerous to confront their behaviour.

It's time for the villagers to take the corner back from the crack dealers with baseball bats.

LakeCat
08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Cool down Donnie. I am talking about the 15-17 year olds that are in the criminal justice system. That was the context of this thread. I have a 16 year old myself, he wouldn't hurt a fly. However, I have prosecuted a number of minors as "adults" who have committed crimes involving a firearm. Many of thes kids have been tossed from home to home or have been violtently assaulted themselves and they can commit horrific crimes with absolutedly no remorse. I am authorized to carry a gun essentially anywhere in Kentucky and I can assure you I would fear a group of teens "trolling" the streets more than any other category.

UKHistory
08-20-2013, 03:16 PM
A lot of those 15, 16, 17 year olds are built like men but think like little boy bullies. Most of them (we are talking about those young people who do this for fun) have been through horrible things which helps produce this type of mentality.

They need love and prayers and protection. But what do you for the victim who turns cruel bully and victimizes others.

Reading that a person uses boredom as a reason to kill makes me shudder. That is a lost soul in need of redemption to be sure. But for the good of the rest, they may just need to be ended instead.

jazyd
08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
you need to go back and read what Lake wrote, no where close to what you just got on him about. He is a prosecutor, he knows what he is talking about.

jazyd
08-20-2013, 07:04 PM
History, I feel the same way. I had changed my opinion several years ago deciding that if I was anti abortion, then I couldn't turn around and say end someones life, that is God's decision and not mine.
however, in this case, I think they need to be put down and the criminal element in that are needs to know what will happen when you do something this stupid regardless of age.

Just when I feel pretty comfortable with my anti-death penalty stance you read something like this. Prayers for everyone. What

a tragic waste of 4 lives.

westtncat
08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately, this is becoming the nature of today's society. Most people today have no moral backbones at all and it is only going to get worse.

BigBlueBrock
08-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately, this is becoming the nature of today's society. Most people today have no moral backbones at all and it is only going to get worse.

Sensationalist nonsense.

GhettoBird
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM

I also fear it is only going to get worse.

BigBlueBrock
08-20-2013, 09:33 PM
I also fear it is only going to get worse.

Of course! I mean, violent crime has declined across the board year over year for the past two decades and is the lowest it's been since its peak in the mid-90s, but yeah, three hooligans murdering someone in Oklahoma is a sign that the end times have started.

:sCo_huhsign:

Thedonnie123
08-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Of course! I mean, violent crime has declined across the board year over year for the past two decades and is the lowest it's been since its peak in the mid-90s, but yeah, three hooligans murdering someone in Oklahoma is a sign that the end times have started.

:sCo_huhsign:

This.

jazyd
08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
This

Has Obama said either of the two black young men could be his son? Anything from Jesse or Al? NAACP? 2 are black, 1 is white or maybe he is a Hispanic white or outside chance he is Australian white

As more and more end up in the democrat hellhole of welfare, this is a byproduct

When I moved to Miss in 1979 I loved going to the Delta, great food, loved the people. My has it changed. Gangs are in every small town now. A few years ago black gang teens murdered a shop owner for $20. I have been told by customers that in Shaw and Clarksdale they break into homes in daytime with people watching, must get value to buy drugs. Heard a report this morning that 15 states now have people on welfare that the value is wort over $15 per hour, in Hawaii it is worth $29 per hour. No incentive to work, so steal, get bored, shoot so done for a thrill

WoodstockCat
08-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Animals.

Darrell KSR
08-21-2013, 11:18 AM
History, I feel the same way. I had changed my opinion several years ago deciding that if I was anti abortion, then I couldn't turn around and say end someones life, that is God's decision and not mine.
however, in this case, I think they need to be put down and the criminal element in that are needs to know what will happen when you do something this stupid regardless of age.

I really struggle with this. My "position" is anti-capital punishment, for the same reason you expressed.

But I can't help but "wanting" the ultimate punishment here on earth for certain elements.

Not for this board's discussion, so I'll stop there. And most of my friends feel differently, and I respect those opinions, too.

UKHistory
08-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Boredom is the single worst explanation for killing anything let alone a human being that I have ever heard. Yawl think a letter dated August 13 raises my blood pressure, that comment shakes me and spurs me to a righteous indignation.

Someone mentioned that murder is down across the country but this one really hits home. More for the political board but wow.

BarristerCat
08-21-2013, 06:06 PM
They will suffer more if they get life without parole. In KY we're seeing defendants who want the death penalty (or at least don't want their lawyers to fight it) because they know they'll get their own cell, the best treatment, and 30 years of free lawyering on their case, all with very little chance of actually being executed. Hell, some of them get much more than that out of their lawyers.

CitizenBBN
08-21-2013, 06:43 PM
IMO there is no contradiction with being against abortion and for capital punishment.

The difference is an unborn child has done nothing to warrant punishment. they have not broken the social contract and are incapable of forming the state of mind to do so in any way. A person who kills another like this for no reason has chosen to break the social contract and deserves whatever punishment is deemed appropriate for the crime.

It's like saying you can't be for capital punishment if you are against 3 teens killing a man b/c they were bored b/c you are either for or against killing. Of course you can.

I'm a huge fan of capital punishment personally. Some people have done things so repugnant and wrong there is no reason to allow them to live among us in any fashion.

BigBlueBrock
08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
I do not support capital punishment for the following reasons:

Its efficacy as a deterrent is highly questionable (in fact, the vast majority of criminologists believe it is ineffective as a deterrent and that abolishing it would have no effect on the rate of homicides).
It costs taxpayers much more money than life in prison, once you consider the legal fees while the case is tried and then appealed, not to mention the time spent on death row.
The system, and this is the most important reason for me, is fallible. It cannot be guaranteed that an innocent person will not be executed and ONE innocent person being executed is too high a price to pay.

There are no conditions within which I would support the execution of a criminal.

badrose
08-22-2013, 07:54 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/world/chris-lane-shooting-a-gang-initiation-says-father-who-called-police-20130822-2sdud.html

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I do not support capital punishment for the following reasons:

Its efficacy as a deterrent is highly questionable (in fact, the vast majority of criminologists believe it is ineffective as a deterrent and that abolishing it would have no effect on the rate of homicides).
It costs taxpayers much more money than life in prison, once you consider the legal fees while the case is tried and then appealed, not to mention the time spent on death row.
The system, and this is the most important reason for me, is fallible. It cannot be guaranteed that an innocent person will not be executed and ONE innocent person being executed is too high a price to pay.

There are no conditions within which I would support the execution of a criminal.

-- It'll deter the guy we kill, and a lot of the lost deterrent effect is that we so hide away such things. I'm betting the deterrent was better when everyone turned out for the public hanging.
-- Justice isn't always about the money, and I could fix that too given the power to fix a few laws.
-- The only point that has some appeal for me. But is putting someone in a hole for the rest of their lives is a much better outcome for the innocent man? Besides, as your 2nd point highlights, the procedures in the modern era for capital punishment are so lengthy and involved those odds are exceptionally low. Not non-zero but pretty close.

It doesn't get me worked up much either way, but I have no moral issues with the group ending the life of someone who deserves it. If it's life in prison fine, but I fail to see the point of it for people like this. I don't want them breeding and I don't want them sharing our air.

There are plenty of cases where we KNOW who did it, they admit they did it, we have witnesses they did it, and it was a heinous enough crime they deserve to die. Go get a rope and build a nice gallows out front of the court house and pick a nice Saturday afternoon so folks can come. Charge $25 each for the food vendor spots and we can even cover the cost of the rope and wood.

The Ft. Hood case is a good example. He admits he did it, there's no debate he did it, there was no investigation of who did it b/c he was standing there with the gun. The guy who kidnapped those girls and held them is another. He lived in the house, the girls were chained up in the house, we know he did it, they say he did it, he doesn't deny it, there's no doubt. None. The only possible out for them is an insanity defense, and if that fails and they are convicted I can have this wrapped up in a week or so depending on the weather.

These 3 killed a man in cold blood probably as a gang initiation. If there's no doubt they did it then let's get the trial wrapped up and I'll put 3 bullets in a 45 and we'll be done and we'll for sure send a deterrent message to every other kid thinking about it. I doubt it will dissuade many b/c we're talking about people who aren't rational and can't make such decisions, percolating the inhuman trash to the top as it were, but it may save some people and if not we got this wrapped up with some justice for the murdered person.

Yes, I have a harsh view on such things, but it's a harsh world and there are some people in it who are beyond redemption. I have no idea why a civilized society shows any concern or compassion for them whatsoever. To me they are no different than shooting a rabid dog. Proper societies cannot tolerate such behavior and need to make it clear in the strongest possible terms.

BigBlueBrock
08-22-2013, 10:21 AM
-- It'll deter the guy we kill, and a lot of the lost deterrent effect is that we so hide away such things. I'm betting the deterrent was better when everyone turned out for the public hanging.
-- Justice isn't always about the money, and I could fix that too given the power to fix a few laws.
-- The only point that has some appeal for me. But is putting someone in a hole for the rest of their lives is a much better outcome for the innocent man? Besides, as your 2nd point highlights, the procedures in the modern era for capital punishment are so lengthy and involved those odds are exceptionally low. Not non-zero but pretty close.

Non-zero is still not zero. And life in prison has the advantage of the innocent man still being alive if/when more advanced forensics arise that bring new truths to a case. Already since the advent of DNA testing, it has been determined that the wrong man was put to death in times gone by for crimes he didn't commit. Too high a price, no equivocation.

As far as the deterrent part... You really think kids/men living in an environment of gangs and drugs and guns are deterred by capital punishment if they're caught? Please. They live with that fear every day of their lives if they're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. A rope waiting for them in the courthouse square is meaningless when the reality of their lives is life and death on the edge of a knife.

You and I also have very different ideas of what constitutes a proper society.

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Non-zero is still not zero. And life in prison has the advantage of the innocent man still being alive if/when more advanced forensics arise that bring new truths to a case. Already since the advent of DNA testing, it has been determined that the wrong man was put to death in times gone by for crimes he didn't commit. Too high a price, no equivocation.

As far as the deterrent part... You really think kids/men living in an environment of gangs and drugs and guns are deterred by capital punishment if they're caught? Please. They live with that fear every day of their lives if they're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. A rope waiting for them in the courthouse square is meaningless when the reality of their lives is life and death on the edge of a knife.

You and I also have very different ideas of what constitutes a proper society.

I'm not suggesting we use the criminal procedures from the 1960s again. I explicitly proposed using it only for the most obvious and unequivocal cases. When the guy was wrestled to the ground with the gun in his hand in the lobby of the building and everyone saw him randomly shooting people, there's no risk of later finding out he's innocent via DNA evidence.

I said it would be largely meaningless. the deterrent effect isn't an overwhelming motivation for my views. Justice is the overwhelming motivation. People who commit such horrible acts on others don't deserve to live. However it will deter some, and since it also serves the goals of justice it is just a nice bonus that some few may decide to not murder someone to join a gang. I don't consider the death penalty a solution for the current drug/gang war situation in the US, I have proposed other solutions for it. This is about meting out justice.

I have no doubt we have very different ideas on what constitutes a proper society. It troubles me on a daily basis that I live more in yours than you do in mine and things move to yours more every day. Which is why I would ideally subdivide the nation into the two groups and start over, resetting our society to the vision of the Founders.

Edit: Fwiw that's not personal, there are simply two primary visions of how society should function within the Western world view, and they aren't going to see eye to eye ever. They are too fundamentally different in their assumptions and priorities. I don't feel ill will towards anyone who accepts the other one. I only feel ill towards politicians and those who lie about what which view they really hold. People are free to make their own choices, I just don't want one group dragging the other along.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I remembered debating--not that I had any real experience in it; it was part of speech class for me--capital punishment, way back in my high school days.

Yes, we had electricity. Yes, paper was invented.

No, we didn't have air conditioning in the school. OK, so I'm old.

Anyway, the best that I remembered back then, my research showed capital punishment had virtually no deterrent effect. The best argument was that it eliminated one person who was likely to commit another crime, but in "big number" terms, that was negligible.

I was a proponent of capital punishment way back when. My reasons are different than BBB's; as I am almost exclusively an opponent today just for my own moral reasons. While I do not shed a tear for a serial killer or other ilk to die from a government-sanctioned killing, I simply do not see that as our role here on earth. Others disagree, and that's fine. It's not a matter of logic and reasoning; it's a belief system I hold.

People make it awfully tough at times to hold this belief system. I fight it constantly.

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Most studies show little deterrence effect, but they didn't study my version of how to do it either. lol.

It's like smoking education. Telling 15 year olds they'll die when they're 60 instead of 80 means nothing to them. The punishment is too far removed from the action in too many ways to be as effective. There are things that can make it more effective, but IMO "deterrence" in a justice system is about a broader set of swift and sure justice and punishments, and capital punishment in a microcosm can't carry all that weight.

Deterrence is all about "what you have to lose" and when you have little to lose it's hard to deter someone. I don't have a single drink and drive a vehicle b/c I could lose a lot. Not worth the chance. If you don't have a livelihood to protect, aren't afraid of being in jail for a night or a year, it's tough to deter behavior. Add in the profit motive in things like the drug trade and it's even tougher.

I do think the deterrence effect is underestimated in some studies b/c it's really hard to measure "the population of people who would commit this act if the negative consequences were removed", but with capital punishment the other options (life without parole) are all part of a grand deterrent to not killing the guy who cut you off in traffic, the actual death penalty being only a sliver of it. If you have enough to lose then 20 years in jail is plenty scary enough and capital punishment is irrelevant, and if you don't care much either way if you go to jail for 20 years or are so irrational it doesn't factor, then the death penalty wont' factor in either.

For me it is part of the ideal of swift justice, but mostly I just believe some people don't deserve to live when they do things like this. My outrage that someone's life and liberty was taken for such low reasons overwhelms any sense of preservation of life I may have. This person who was killed was a good person who did nothing wrong, and just warehousing these kids for 25 years and then sending them back out to prey on another person isn't enough of a price.

FWIW that is the counter to the "innocent man" argument: the fact that there is no guarantee these monsters won't get back out into society and hurt others. These kids may get tried as adults but $10 says they get out of prison one day, probably a lot sooner than people would expect, and end up committing another crime. How many truly innocent people do we let be harmed before we start guaranteeing some people won't ever hurt another person? Of course that's a legal system issue, but that's how it works with these things.

In fact most such cases don't even have trials. They'll plead out and be released. In a system like that of course capital punishment has no deterrent effect. The system has to work as a whole and when it doesn't there won't be much deterrence.

DanISSELisdaman
08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/21/hate-them-heres-what-teen-accused-of-murdering-australian-student-had-to-say-about-white-people-guns-and-killing-on-twitter/

Catonahottinroof
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I was at a hanging in the Bahamas in the fall of 1998, not exactly what i wanted to see on my fall Caribbean vacation. In Nassau Square, 2 men were hung about an hour apart. at that time, Bahamian justice was relatively simple. If you are convicted of a Capital offense, you get 5 years of appeal. At the 5th year and 1 day, you hang from the gallows. There has been a softening of that stance over the years and I don't think they've executed anyone in quite a while. Is it a coincidence in this softening they the crime rates there are now going up?

Capital punishment deters that one offender. The appeal process is so lengthy in the US many die before the sentence can be carried out. It's become a legal game of delay stall and deflect....therefore little in the way of deterrent as a result.

BTW, do you think Obama will inject himself into this debate as he did with Trayvon Martin? No racial points to score, so I doubt it...

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Wow, how awful. I saw a beheading on the Internet once, and I wasn't even sure what it was real and it creeped me out.

Sent using Forum Runner

Catonahottinroof
08-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Darrell, my wife and were staying at the Radisson on Cable Beach, beautiful golf courses there. We decided to take the hotel tour into Nassau that day rather than playing golf. Huge mistake on our part. So much so that we've never went back. The Caymans are now our island of choice.

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Have to admit I never really saw it as a vacation destination. wow. Though historically it was a town gathering event, it was more in the "watch a train wreck" category and not in the "plan my week off work around the hanging" category.

At least one of these guys is a raging racist. Should I hold my breath waiting on the various groups howling in the Zimmerman trial, when there was no evidence of racism, to call on the DOJ to investigate and charge this as a hate crime?

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Darrell, my wife and were staying at the Radisson on Cable Beach, beautiful golf courses there. We decided to take the hotel tour into Nassau that day rather than playing golf. Huge mistake on our part. So much so that we've never went back. The Caymans are now our island of choice.

I would think they might reschedule that tour in light of what was going to transpire or at least give you a big heads up. Personally I have no desire to go back to the Bahamas b/c when I was there it was fine but the service was lousy and it was really expensive. There are just better options available, at least to when I was there. The casinos have become a lot grander since those days.

Catonahottinroof
08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
The Crystal Palace is next door to the place we stayed. It's a high rollers place. The hangings were huge news in the Miami newspapers when we came back, but it was kinda ho hum in Nassau. There were quite a few people there, some cheering, some lamenting....and my wife and in I....in shock...:/

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Only been to the Cayman islands once, but it beat the Bahamas even before this. Wow, what a shock.

Sent using Forum Runner