PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Max Smith to UK greats through five starts

imsoblue
09-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Posted on September 13, 2012 by Kyle Tucker

I’ve got a story coming in tomorrow’s Courier-Journal about UK sophomore quarterback Maxwell Smith and what is so far a pretty impressive career trajectory. It includes this quote from former Cats QB Andre’ Woodson, who holds several school records:

“I truly believe that Max is going to break a lot of records. I think he’ll be one of the best quarterbacks ever to come through this university. I truly believe that. I’m not just saying that to say it.”

That made me curious about how Smith’s first five career starts stack up compared to some of Kentucky’s most prolific passers of the past through their first five starts. Lucky for me, UK’s sports information was able to answer that question. So take a look. Many thanks to Jake Schiphorst for the terrific (and speedy) research.

KENTUCKY QBs AFTER FIVE STARTS

Maxwell Smith: 116 of 190 (61.1 percent) for 1,229 yards, 10 TD, 2 INT
* Starts were vs. Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Louisville and Kent State

Tim Couch: 107 of 165 (64.8 percent) for 1,114 yards, 15 TD, 3 INT
* Starts were vs. Florida, LSU, Louisville, Mississippi State and Indiana

Jared Lorenzen: 137 of 240 (57.1 percent) for 1,598 yards, 11 TD, 9 INT
* Starts were vs. Louisville, South Florida, Indiana, Florida and Ole Miss

Andre’ Woodson: 67 of 118 (56.8 percent) for 775 yards, 5 TD, 3 INT
* Starts were vs. Auburn, Louisville, Idaho State, Indiana and Florida
link (http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukbeat/2012/09/13/comparing-max-smith-to-uk-greats-through-five-starts/)

dan_bgblue
09-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Woodson said the other day that Smith, barring injury, would be one of the best QBs to ever play at UK. I do not know that he is right, but he does have more street cred than me.;)

fastkat
09-13-2012, 07:07 PM
One thing that the stats won't show is his ability to lead. IMO he's shown quite a bit of leadership ability at his young age. I've watched him do little things on the field and on the sidelines that would make me want to go to war for him.

That's going to go a long way as he gains experience.

Badinage
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
He seems driven to get better. His best two games clearly have been the last two with 6 TDs and no INTs, throwing for over 600 yards. He seems to have incredible poise in the pocket and is just plain smart. This as a soph in a difficult offense. I am hopeful for the future.

kritikalcat
09-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I was looking forward to seeing Maxwell play since I heard about how well he did in the practices before the BBVA Compass Bowl, and to hear now that the coaches say they started designing a new offense just to fit him after 5 practices as a grayshirt freshman says a lot.

Then I saw him go in for a few series against Florida, and he didn't do anything spectacular, but he got a couple of first downs and didn't turn the ball over. He struggled on the road at LSU and USC, but that's a freshman going on the road in the SEC for the first time.

I learned that his private QB coach was Erik Kramer who went from undrafted replacement to starting QB for the Detroit Lions (led them to NFC championship game in 1991) and Chicago (still has the highest QB rating in Bears history.) As far as smart - I believe he had a 1450 or 1480 SAT.

Finally, the article in the LHL recently was telling in the part about how he started at a new HS as a senior and was immediately accepted as their starting QB. That is a situation that could lead to dissension; but the players saw what he could do and knew he was a player and leader.

Now just to see if his growth curve continues and he performs well against top SEC defenses and on the road in the league.

truecatsfan
09-14-2012, 07:08 PM
If Smith can stay healthy we not see Towles until his senior year?

Badinage
09-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Junior year.

Catfan73
09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Max is a sophomore. If we're successful in redshirting Towles, he'll be a sophomore when Smith's a senior.

truecatsfan
09-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Junior year.

You are correct Bad, sometimes i think i have lost my mind.