PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting tidbits, etc

Carolinawildcats
08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Tony Trocha - I am hearing that UK remains an option. My personal opinion is that he will not end up at UK, but told that UK is one of 3 schools that have recently been in contact. Honestly, I don't think he would be much help for us this year, especially as a 2nd semester signee. I'm not on his bandwagon at all nor is the source I have following his situation.

Torian Graham - This name will just not go away. I was just told that he has spoken to Cal this week. I'm not sure where this is going to end up, but there is certainly some dialogue. This has just heated back up, so I will follow it and let you guys know.

Keith Clanton - I'm told contrary to the ESPN report, he has still not made decision but is expected to by the end of the week.

Practice notes:
Hearing that Big Will (Cauley-Stein) continues to impress. I don't think Cal is BS'ing when he talks about him in terms of being a starter. Also hearing that Harrow has struggled a bit. Really looks good with the ball and his shooting is much improved, but really needs to get stronger. Totally different PG than Cal has had in the past. I heard Julius Mays has really started find his groove. After getting a late start, he has been lights out. A much better penetrator than advertised and has been running some Point.

Peace

Richard (CW)

badrose
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Richard. I hope Harrow is putting in the time for strength training. Surely he picked up on its value last year. Makes you glad we picked up Mays.

Krank
08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks CW. I especially like to hear more good stuff about Mays and Cauley-Stein, two players many of us assumed would be role players off the bench. It sounds like we have some legit depth, tons of D, hot shooting, and multiple looks at the point... and I haven't even MENTIONED the rock star studs, Noel, Poythress, and Goodwin, nor good ol' Kyle.

It's gonna be another fun run, methinks!

Darryl
08-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Richard, if UK were to get Clanton we are the odds on favorite to win the title. IMO, Harrow just has to be okay for us (though I think he will be better than that). The only
weakness this team will have is lack of rebounding/interior physical play. Clanton would certainly negate that.

Graham scares me a bit, as I was very close to the Bledsoe situation and late drastic GPA improvements are really being vetted by the NCAA nowadays.

It would not shock me to see Cal start:

C: Cauley-Stein
PF: Noel
SF: Poythress
PG: Mays:
SG: Goodwin

Wiltjer dynamo off the bench; Harrow 28-30 minutes at both guard slots.

Darryl

Darrell KSR
08-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Outstanding, Richard, thanks.

Love the idea of Mays being a better penetrator than advertised. That could be very important to keep defenses from playing him too tightly.

UKHistory
08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I hope that Clanton comes. That would be big. I will root hard for Harrow and hope he does what Cal wants. I am sure the young man has a great attitude and will work to be successful.

Philly Cat
08-14-2012, 04:39 PM
I know PG is important, but I wonder whether the lead guard position will be less important this year than in prior years. Harrow will only stay on the court as long as his defense allows -- if he is bouncing off picks and ineffective as a defender, then I think we'll see more of Mays & Goodwin at the 1.

I don't think Harrow "forgot" to strength-train. I think that some guys' bodies are just slight, and he may not have the ability to put on the kind of muscle he needs to finish/defend with hard contact.

Krank
08-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Outstanding, Richard, thanks.

Love the idea of Mays being a better penetrator than advertised. That could be very important to keep defenses from playing him too tightly.

Agreed, Darrell. As you may or may not recall, I have a ton of ties to Central Indiana basketball and Indiana fans, Butler fans (which I am one, yet very much a distant second to my UK fandom), etc.

I have found it interesting that MANY NC State fans have decried his skills due to, I suppose, lackluster play for the Wolfpack in the limited time he was there. Now, since he has been in the Horizon League, I have actually seen him play more than once. Honestly, I remember little other than his shooting kept Wright State in games against Butler last year and that he is legit, at least, in that regard.

I had heard from NC State folks AND some more seasoned Butler fans that they questioned his ability to be a combo and/or effective penetrator/passer, etc. so it is VERY good news to hear that he is taking the bull by the horns (the Cat by the whiskers?) and going for it in this ONE year he gets under Cal at UK. That is JUST what he SHOULD do, but to hear that he is actually developing the skills we NEED from him beyond shooting further affirms Coach Calipari as the COMPLETE coach WE know him to be.

He is more than a great recruiter (the best CLEARLY), but also the top in his business at DEVELOPING that talent.

Man, I am getting excited. If only we get to beat Duke WHILE hearing about UNC's scandal turning into ACTUAL sanctions, THEN I will know that another uber-magical year has begun.

Bakert
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
I know PG is important, but I wonder whether the lead guard position will be less important this year than in prior years.

I can't imagine why it would. Having a less-than-optimal PG works when you have incredible talent and/or experience. We had both last year. This year we have great talent, but we have no one like AD and while Poythress will be very good, I'm not yet convinced he will be MKG. Many were pointing to Harrow as being a strength due to his experience and having spent a year at UK. I don't think it's prudent to just brush that off as being unimportant simply due to him not yet playing as we need him to. Note I said "not yet" playing as we need him to.

GhettoBird
08-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info. Really hope Clanton decides he wants to play in a final four.

Doc
08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Of the three mentioned above (Trocha, Graham and Clanton), the only one that would be of any help this year or next is Clanton (and that would be this year since he is a Sr). IMO anybody who thinks Trocha is going to be a significant addition regardless of whether it next week or December is in for a shock. As for Graham, did he get qualified? I've not heard but would be shocked. Clanton, has the stats and size to be a contributor.

CitizenBBN
08-14-2012, 05:14 PM
The latest video of WCS shows a guy who can play some ball. I don't think Cal is just pitching this for coach speak.

BudCat_upthecreek
08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Richard, if UK were to get Clanton we are the odds on favorite to win the title. IMO, Harrow just has to be okay for us (though I think he will be better than that). The only
weakness this team will have is lack of rebounding/interior physical play. Clanton would certainly negate that.

Graham scares me a bit, as I was very close to the Bledsoe situation and late drastic GPA improvements are really being vetted by the NCAA nowadays.

It would not shock me to see Cal start:

C: Cauley-Stein
PF: Noel
SF: Poythress
PG: Mays:
SG: Goodwin

Wiltjer dynamo off the bench; Harrow 28-30 minutes at both guard slots.

Darryl

Wouldn't shock me either, but I really hope Wiltjer has improved his lateral speed and strength, if he has he'll be a great PF for us. Also hope Hood has improved enough to actually be able to get 10-12 mpg and help as an 8th in the rotation. Would really help to have an 8th person if he can play D and hit some shots.

Carolinawildcats
08-14-2012, 05:39 PM
With Harrow, we are not getting the physical PG that we have grown accustomed to under Cal. Having said that, he is quicker with the ball and a better passer than Teague I am told. I think his problem will be finishing in traffic at the rack. Something Teague had become very good at by the end of the season. I agree, what we see is what we get. He will never be the big physical PG. I do think we will see a bit more flair with the ball and his passing abilities though. I am least concerned at this position to be honest! I think Harrow will be on some highlight reels this year!

Peace

Richard (CW)

daveinmaine
08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Taking Trocha for his upside & what he might contribute in 2 years is fine with me.

bigsky
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Keith Clanton would be a key addition. I hope Cal reels him in

Good to see you're typing tidbits, CW!

KSRdallen
08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Tony Trocha - I am hearing that UK remains an option. My personal opinion is that he will not end up at UK, but told that UK is one of 3 schools that have recently been in contact. Honestly, I don't think he would be much help for us this year, especially as a 2nd semester signee. I'm not on his bandwagon at all nor is the source I have following his situation.

Torian Graham - This name will just not go away. I was just told that he has spoken to Cal this week. I'm not sure where this is going to end up, but there is certainly some dialogue. This has just heated back up, so I will follow it and let you guys know.

Keith Clanton - I'm told contrary to the ESPN report, he has still not made decision but is expected to by the end of the week.

Practice notes:
Hearing that Big Will (Cauley-Stein) continues to impress. I don't think Cal is BS'ing when he talks about him in terms of being a starter. Also hearing that Harrow has struggled a bit. Really looks good with the ball and his shooting is much improved, but really needs to get stronger. Totally different PG than Cal has had in the past. I heard Julius Mays has really started find his groove. After getting a late start, he has been lights out. A much better penetrator than advertised and has been running some Point.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Great stuff, Richard. Thanks for sharing!

LarryVaught1
08-14-2012, 08:53 PM
thanks for great info Richard. Would not worry too much about Harrow. Think he will be fine. But do think Mays is lot better than many realize. Same with Cauley

Jeeepcat
08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
thanks for the update!

Padukacat
08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Harrow is just the type that could eat burgers all day and lose weight.

ShoesSwayedBlue
08-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Harrow is just the type that could eat burgers all day and lose weight.

People like that are annoying. I passed by a Twinkie earlier and had to loosen my belt.

Cal will find a way to make Harrow effective on defense. Goodness knows the kid is quick on quick and can jump through the gym. That can be worked with.

ShoesSwayedBlue
08-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Just had to also say I would love to get Clanton.

anderwt
08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Cauley was an all state wide reciever who caught everything in sight...Runs like a deer, athletic, and he is 7 foot...Proper coaching, yes this kid could be a very very good player.

Getting a kid like Julius Mays and teaching him true work ethic, is a huge bonus...This Clanton deal would be tremendous if it happens, but the kid seems to really like the state of Florida, so think it would be a shocker if he ended up at UK....

I will go ahead and say it, I have never really been impressed with Harrow. I think he will be a nice player for Cal, but I think Cal's reputation with PG's and the fact our fan base is spoiled now with the first 3 we got, that Harrow may never live up to the expecatations. Again not saying he won't be a nice player for Cal, but the the talk of him going top 20 in the draft is a little crazy...Kid is 160 soaking wet...

I think Noel will develop, but its going to take some time

I don't have the expectations of some here for next year's team..This reminds me so much of the 2010-11 situation...I could see UK sneaking in the final four potentially and then having a couple of key parts sticking around and playing with the Big dogs we got coming in for the 2013-14 season

Warsaw 1
08-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Great info. It's encouraging to have a couple of the guys that might have been considered role players sounding better than advertised.

Philly Cat
08-15-2012, 10:30 AM
So many parts of posts to answer that I don't know where to start:

Bakert, you convinced me that I was wrong to say PG won't be as important this year. Silly statement by me. I think what more accurately reflects my views is that I don't anticipate us having a dominant PG like we had in prior years-- someone, like Teague or Knight or Wall, with whom there is NO DOUBT who will be PG at the most important points in the game. This year, I think there's a little more ambiguity there...

... because, I agree with Anderwt that Harrow's size may be more of a limitation than we realize at this point b/c we've been so spoiled with strong, athletic PGs who can finish in traffic. And also fight through screens on defense. I worry about this for Harrow b/c, like Anderwt noted, the kid is still only about 150 lbs and about 5'10/5'11. Yes, he may show up on highlight reels, but that may not make up enough for his weaknesses.

Hey, these are good problems to have. He's no JP Blevins or Michael Porter, no offense to those guys. We're talking about the (potential!) deficiencies of a 5-star PG who can jump out of the building and shoot 90% from the FT line. Yeah, life is good.

Terminus
08-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to add my thanks as well for the tidbits. Looking forward to seeing this group on the floor together. I think the addition of Mays late may be an even bigger coup than I expected.

ukpumacat
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't have the expectations of some here for next year's team..This reminds me so much of the 2010-11 situation...I could see UK sneaking in the final four potentially and then having a couple of key parts sticking around and playing with the Big dogs we got coming in for the 2013-14 season

I agree. However, there are a few key differences that I think will really help this years team. Our schedule is much easier this season than it was in 2010. That means we should be able to get a better seed than 4 (which we should have anyways). Also, I think Cal's teams expect to win now. That is the attitude every single one of them have.
I think we lose several games in the season, but I think that Harrow improves quite a bit as the year goes, and we have at least an Elite 8 run in us (and maybe more).

ukcatlvr
08-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Good stuff CW and thanks. This is one of the reasons I tagged along over to here, plus throw in Larry and others.