PDA

View Full Version : Alabama new gun law

Darrell KSR
07-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Takes effect August 1.

Generally provides more lawful access to guns, like giving absolute right to have gun in car at employer workplace without fear of employer taking adverse action, making more difficult for sheriff to deny permits, etc. But once again, or lawmakers screwed up part of the bill.

For example, the law says those with a conceal-carry permit can bring guns to sporting events sponsored by private or public schools and colleges, as well as professional sporting events.

However, it also says that, without express permission, they cannot carry firearms in any building or facility that limits access of unauthorized individuals with guards and other security features such as turnstiles or metal detectors.

That would include many college and professional sporting events. In those cases, the facility must display a sign stating weapons are prohibited.

I think this means that if they have a sign prohibiting weapons in Bryant Denny Stadium, no concealed weapons permit will be valid. It is not completely clear, however, since they specifically authorized the carrying of a concealed weapon in that environment earlier in the law. I am relying upon news stories, rather than reading the Act, but I had previously been told that was the case too.

Sent using Forum Runner

DanISSELisdaman
07-27-2013, 11:22 AM
That's like giving someone some teeth, but putting a muzzle on them. :rolleye0013:

Darrell KSR
07-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I would be fine either way--just tell me what the law is. As a law-abiding citizen, I will abide, but I need to know what it is. I generally exercise the freedoms given to me when I can, though, and need to know if those freedoms are restricted. I'm never "happy" with my freedom being restricted, but I am a tolerable person, and can tolerate reasonable restrictions.

Just let me know what they are, please.

Doc
07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
I was for this bill before I was against the bill!

Does not make a lot of sense. Personally, I don't think a gun should be allow in football or other sporting venues but that is me personally. Seen too many drunks who could justifiably be shot for being such a-holes