PDA

View Full Version : Uh Ho: Obama Says Vietnamese Dictator Inspired by Founding Fathers

dan_bgblue
07-26-2013, 11:04 AM
A stumbling bumbling idiot; a simpering apologist; a tactful, compassionate leader of the free world?

Which is it? (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/26/uh-ho-obama-says-vietnamese-dictator-inspired-by-founding-fathers/)

That was the impression President Obama gave on Thursday when he spoke to the press after his meeting with Vietnamese President Truong Tan Sang. Sang brought Obama a copy of a letter sent to President Harry Truman from Ho Chi Minh in which the communist dictator spoke hopefully of cooperation with the United States.

Obama, striking a wistful tone, observed that it may have taken 67 years, but the United States and Vietnam were finally enjoying the relationship that Ho once wrote of. After all, Obama said, Ho had been “inspired by the words of Thomas Jefferson.”

suncat05
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm sure that you'll find some of this "revisionist history" in that Common Core education curriculum that Obama must be very proud to know about.
There has got to be a legal way to get this POS removed from office and out of OUR White House...... :mad0176:

Doc
07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
When I think peace and cooperation I think of Ghandi, MLK, and Ho Chi Minh

CitizenBBN
07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Simpering apologist.

The living embodiment of everything I think this nation was founded to stand against. It's beyond sickening he would pander to the idea that a murderous tyrant should find any solace, inspiration or defense in the words of Jefferson or any Founding Father.

Doc
07-26-2013, 02:24 PM
So now Obama has a letter written by Ho Chi Minh to go with his book written be Hugo Chavez. Now all he needs is a signed copy of the communist manifesto

jazyd
07-26-2013, 03:22 PM
too bad he won't doing his running in a hooded sweatshirt near the bushes in Florida on a golf trip.

I'm sure that you'll find some of this "revisionist history" in that Common Core education curriculum that Obama must be very proud to know about.
There has got to be a legal way to get this POS removed from office and out of OUR White House...... :mad0176:

kritikalcat
07-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I haven't studied a lot about that region and period, though I know my Dad was against U.S. involvement going back to Dien Bien Phu (FYI he was Army and National Guard from 57-63 and never served overseas) and mom's brother (AirCav) and my ex-father in law (Navy gunnery officer) fought there, but I think the 'standard' historical view has been that Ho's initial focus was nationalism and independence from colonialism more so than Marxism.

UKHistory
07-29-2013, 12:13 PM
I prefer John McCaine's comment to his tour guide while visting Vietnam since relations have been restored. The Senator and former POW said, "the wrong side or the bad guys won" or something to that effect. Bottom line that is how I feel based on 1) what I know of how our POWs were treated and 2) knowing former South Vietnamese regulars who were on the last choppers out before the fall of Saigon.

One of those men was on a panel that hired me. Personal feelings aside on this issue the President went a little overboard as he spoke to our new, glorious trading partner.

The French Revolution was inspired by the American revolution but was far more volatile and bloody. Lenin would speak well of Lincoln. Inspiration and duplication are too different things.

I won't say we backed the wrong side in Vietnam but we backed the weaker, more corrupt side. We fought for the side that represented or was more closely associated with French colonialism. Ho was a nationalist.

Most of these third world dictators are blood-thirsty and cruel. That is how they get and stay in power. With the Patriot Act in place, our government does not look too noble either.

We supported French colonialism and its successor. It seems that throughout the 1950s our fear of communism led us to support some pretty bad guys--like the Shah of Iran. Doesn't in any way make Ho to be a great guy--in the slightest. But in the 1950s and 60s a rebel could well be a nationalist, promoter of democracy but if he didn't like US or western based corporations, we defined nationalist as communist pretty quick. Some of that was accurate and some of it was wrong.

In proxy wars a lot of countries had no real choice but to move towards the sphere of influence of us or the CCCP. The CCCP offered vodka and guns while we offered Coke and Mcdonal's and guns. Neither side offered a lot of freedom for its people.

CitizenBBN
07-29-2013, 01:37 PM
He was definitely a nationalist, and we can tack on "communist" or whatever, but the truth is he was a warlord dictator like Mao or Pol Pot or Castro or any of 100 others. That means he sold whatever "vision" suited for him to gain and control power, and his rule was really about killing anyone who got in his way of being in control. In his case hundreds of thousands. Not nearly as big as Pot's or Mao's numbers, but more than enough to insure complete rule of Vietnam.

He may have claimed inspiration from Jefferson or Lincoln or the tooth fairy, but that's a lie either told by him to the masses or told to himself to justify his murderous rule. there is no ideal embraced by Jefferson that is in any way applicable to the rise to power of Ho and little in the way he executed the war that in any way emulates the American Revolution.

What is most glaring is what happened in North Vietnam after it was formed,where he imprisoned opposition in labor camps, repressed the middle class,and pursued a policy anything but "Democratic" or "Republic" in his new nation. We know from Soviet documents there were actual goals for how many to kill in the purges of opposition, land owners, professionals. The "land reform" estimates range between 125,000 and 250,000 killed outright by Ho's order. that doesn't count those who starved to death. he had a policy of "isolation" where a "landlord's" home was surrounded and cut off from supplies, letting the entire family starve to death including children.

His direct orders in his own country, already under his control and not involved in a war at that time, were every bit as horrific as anything you see described as being done by the VC or NVA during the war itself. These were acts committed on their own people for no other reason than a) having the potential to be opponents of the government (ironically many were former Viet Minh much like Hitler's purge once the military agreed to support him) and b) the need to create a reign of terror big enough to keep iron fisted control of the nation. He literally decided to kill 1 of every so many thousand of his own people to insure the rest were properly compliant.

Like Mao and Lenin and Stalin and the rest, most warlords and dictators cite the words of freedom and liberty in their effort to disguise their true agenda.

Obama needs to read Animal Farm. it's a quick read, small words, and sums up the reality of Ho and the rest, and you won't find a single thing in their actions that was inspired by Jefferson. You'll find them claiming such things, but any educated person sees it for utter nonsense.

In any way associating these vile monsters with a Founding Father is insulting beyond words. The Founders were human and thus flawed, but they were selfless in a way few in history have ever been, visionary in their view of human liberty, oh and they never consolidated power after Yorktown by murdering a couple hundred thousand loyalists and land owners.

This blurring of lines between true men of Liberty and the monsters of the Communist movement is a classic communist/fascist tactic, where war is peace, freedom is slavery and ignorance is strength. Come to think of it I have another book for Obama's reading list he's probably never touched.