PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Wonder + others to boycott Fl

blueboss
07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Stevie Wonder and a list of others announced they would no longer play dates in FL until the "stand your ground" law is reformed. Oh well, I'll bet that'll get it repealed (sarcasim)

BigBlueBrock
07-24-2013, 12:35 PM
No artist has announced any such thing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/florida-boycott-list-discredited_n_3641100.html

It's a rumor being spread by someone who works for "American Urban Radio Networks."

suncat05
07-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Either way, no big loss.
Florida is not going to repeal the "stand your ground" law. Not. Gonna. Happen.

I really didn't like his music anyway.

jazyd
07-24-2013, 02:18 PM
No big loss for Florida

CitizenBBN
07-24-2013, 05:10 PM
No artist has announced any such thing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/florida-boycott-list-discredited_n_3641100.html

It's a rumor being spread by someone who works for "American Urban Radio Networks."

I'm not sure where it started, but it was reported by major media like the Huffington Post without verifying a word of it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/jay-z-kanye-florida-boycott-zimmerman_n_3636567.html

I just wanted to be clear that blueboss' post wasn't an exaggeration, just based on media DYING to report that there was a big boycott brewing. It was reported as fact by major news media one should reasonably think could get the most basic fact checking right. If you hear Jay-Z is canceling a concert for this reason you CALL his publicity people and at least print the denial next to it and say "it is being reported but denied by Jay-Z". HuffPo just ran the story like a fact.

No artist has joined Stevie Wonder, but Stevie Wonder himself did announce he wouldn't play in florida till "stand your ground" was repealed. That surprised me not b/c of his stance on a Florida law that statistically is proven to be helping black Floridians more than any other group, I had no idea he so disliked black people who happen to live in Florida, but b/c I had no idea he still played concerts.

It's hilarious none of that media like HuffPo is screaming nearly as loud about how the statistical data from SYG shows that blacks take advantage of its protections far disproportionately to whites in Florida, no doubt a result of the poverty that pervades many black communities and seems to not be a concern at all for "black leaders" or our President.

No their answer to the Third World war zone lives some have to live in this country isn't to address lack of jobs, education or law enforcement on criminals who roam our streets with enough criminal convictions to reach the moon, it's to refuse to go to Disney World for the summer vacation.

wow, what leadership. What men and women of action and compassion. With that kind of conviction and insight and selflessness those communities besieged by crime and violence can look forward to the generational suffering, illiteracy, ignorance and violence one can usually only get in backward corrupt nations with running water on Thursdays only.

BigBlueBrock
07-24-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure where it started, but it was reported by major media like the Huffington Post without verifying a word of it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/jay-z-kanye-florida-boycott-zimmerman_n_3636567.html

I just wanted to be clear that blueboss' post wasn't an exaggeration, just based on media DYING to report that there was a big boycott brewing. It was reported as fact by major news media one should reasonably think could get the most basic fact checking right. If you hear Jay-Z is canceling a concert for this reason you CALL his publicity people and at least print the denial next to it and say "it is being reported but denied by Jay-Z". HuffPo just ran the story like a fact.

That's a bit of a mischaracterization of how huffpo reported this. They said "it is being reported (by the AURN chick)" that artists were boycotting Florida and then said

"The Huffington Post is reaching out to representatives for a number of artists on this list and will update this post should more information be made available."

It was originally reported by a credentialed White House correspondent, so it's not as if they were running with a faceless rumor.

Not that it matters. No one but Stevie has said they're boycotting. Hell, Jay-Z owns two homes in Florida, doubtful he was going to boycott the state, lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

blueboss
07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry I failed to post the link as reported on MSN when I started the thread earlier this morning. They have since softened the original story.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/07/23/fewer-artists-ready-to-join-stevie-wonders-florida-stand-your-ground-boycott/

Doc
07-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Speaking of Stevie Wonder, ever seen his wife?

Neither has he

jazyd
07-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Bad

Speaking of Stevie Wonder, ever seen his wife?

Neither has he

dan_bgblue
07-25-2013, 07:36 AM
I do not see the big deal. I have been boycotting FL for years. I want nothing to do with a state that is owned by a mouse