PDA

View Full Version : After quite a rough patch, our Reds are back to 5 games up in the Central

badrose
08-14-2012, 01:05 PM
It got a little scary there for a while. Chapman continues to baffle opposing hitters and Cueto pitched shutout ball through 8 in his last outing. Still a lot of baseball to go but not in bad shape.

jazyd
08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Yada Yada Yada. wait until the playoffs, CARDS WIN< CARDS WIN, CARDS WIN. LOL

MTcatfan
08-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Yep...to me the season is now about grinding it out with the division lead, so to me it is NEVER a bad week when you lose 5 games in a row, but by the end of the weekend your lead is the same or greater that it was at the end of the previous weekend. I always want to stretch that lead, but when you lose games and those chasing you lose game, it reduces the amount of games they have to mount a comeback by 6 or 7.

MickintheHam
08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Yep...to me the season is now about grinding it out with the division lead, so to me it is NEVER a bad week when you lose 5 games in a row, but by the end of the weekend your lead is the same or greater that it was at the end of the previous weekend. I always want to stretch that lead, but when you lose games and those chasing you lose game, it reduces the amount of games they have to mount a comeback by 6 or 7.

I have been a Redleg fan a long, long time. It's so good to see them playing well. This team just seems to find a way to do what they need to do to get the job done. I am amazed every time. Gutty guys play on the squad.

badrose
08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Yada Yada Yada. wait until the playoffs, CARDS WIN< CARDS WIN, CARDS WIN. LOL

You guys have a 10-game stretch against the Reds, Pirates, and Nationals coming up soon. That's pretty tough. Could make or break. The Reds' next 15 games are against sub .500 clubs. Of course 4 of our last 5 losses came against sub .5ers.

Krank
08-14-2012, 02:53 PM
I have been a Redleg fan a long, long time. It's so good to see them playing well. This team just seems to find a way to do what they need to do to get the job done. I am amazed every time. Gutty guys play on the squad.

Agreed Mick, and ya know, these days, what with small budget teams in baseball (and really, most sports it would seem) getting to the big stage so less often than one would hope, it takes that gutty edge you describe to get there.

Here's the thing though.... the Reds are going to get even BETTER when the best player in MLB returns to the roster. Imagine how this team has been playing WITHOUT Votto and, I gotta tell ya, the EVIL Card fans will just have to smirk and move on as they MISS the playoffs for once (that last comment is RESPECT, just so ya know, you EVIL Card fans, LOL).

I have been following the Reds since the late '60's, saw the Big Red Machine, STILL the greatest baseball team EVER, PERIOD, NO ARGUMENT OR DISCUSSION NECESSARY, in the '75 World Series, and I STILL think Rose should get the Hall invite, as a player, with the caveat that he is shown, as a manager, to NOT deserve a similar invite along those lines and/or a "Hall of Shame" compromise of some sort.

Hey, it's just how I roll when it comes to Charlie Hustle. He's a knucklehead, but everyone knows he NEVER would have cheated a MOMENT on the field as a player. Sorry, different debate for a different day, LOL!

Peace.

goodycat
08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I was starting to get a little worried but I agree that being able to be five games up after losing five in a row is a great thing. I have always been a Reds fan and I now live in Cincinnati so I am following this race closely (a little too closely for my wife's taste).

One thought about losing Votto. It is always tough to lose a guy of Joey's caliber for any period of time, but, in the end, I think it may be a great thing for this team. Sometimes I felt like they would rely too much on Votto and almost wait for him to save them especially offensively. Now this team has learned how to win without him. Hopefully, that will lead to a more balanced attack when he is back.

badrose
08-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Scoreless after 7 against the Mets. Pirates are down 6-0 in the 7th.

TonyRay
08-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Doing all this without their MVP candidate as well. Tonight they have left a boatload of runners on base but the pitching has kept the Mets scoreless as well. Oh, Reds fan since the Big Red Machine days.

TonyRay
08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Jay Bruce with the walk off 3 run HR!!!

badrose
08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Jay Bruce with a walk-off 3-0run homer in the bottom of the 9th! Reds win 3-0

Pirates down 6-0 in the 9th.

MickintheHam
08-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Jay Bruce with a walk-off 3-0run homer in the bottom of the 9th! Reds win 3-0

Pirates down 6-0 in the 9th.

Great HR by Bruce Almighty. It broke up a scoreless 9 inning game. Go Redlegs!

badrose
08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Now 7-0 in the top of the 9th with the bases load. Pirates are toast.

Krank
08-14-2012, 10:57 PM

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Pirate booty? Toast! I dig it.

Truth be told, of all the wild card contenders, I hope the small market Pirates make the playoffs. Despite some animosity (from the '70's battles between Cincy and Pitt) that tends to come with competition, I now like to see ALL of the little guys in MLB do well as long as they don't beat the Reds.

In any event, ya gotta love how this team finds a way to win, and so often late in games, which often means.... the Cuban Missile (on a path to be the most dominant strikeout pitcher, percentage-wise... EVER), Senor Chapman, will seal the deal.

I saw Chapman in person in Indy before he was called up to the Reds and, even though the Indians are now associated with the Pirates, their fans were REALLY into watching Chapman. He may be the most dramatic pitcher I can recall since "The Bird", Mark Fydrich.

BudCat_upthecreek
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM

That should put us up 6 full games.

jazyd
08-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Tough stretch, but I just want to make the playoffs, and we are about to get lefty Garcia back which should help our weak pen, either he or Kelly will go into relief. Our pen is terrible other than Motte and Boggs. Remember in a 5 game playoff we only need 3 of those starters, and the others go and help the pen and we have a great offense. So it starts now.

You guys have a 10-game stretch against the Reds, Pirates, and Nationals coming up soon. That's pretty tough. Could make or break. The Reds' next 15 games are against sub .500 clubs. Of course 4 of our last 5 losses came against sub .5ers.

BarristerCat
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM

The Reds shouldn't have any trouble with the Cubs this weekend. The Cubs aren't great at home, but they have been horrible on the road. Trust me, I've watched pretty much every game. I'll take the Cubs longterm outlook over any other team in the NL right now (and I don't mean that as a slight to Cincinnati, but being small market is what it is), but the on-field product this year is brutal.

All-in-all, I'd like to see the Reds and Pirates make the crapshoot that is the playoffs.

TRUCKERCATFAN
08-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Longtime Braves fan here. Keep hoping the Nats will collapse but not looking likely.

badrose
08-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Reds go up 3-1 in the bottom of the 4th with back to back HR's. Was starting to look like a pitchers' duel.

badrose
08-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Pirates are down 5-1 against the Dodgers in the 4th. St Louis game just underway.

Fast game. One hour and ten minutes in and they're in the bottom of the 5th in Cincy.

TonyRay
08-15-2012, 09:08 PM
6-1 bottom 7

TonyRay
08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
And this one belongs to the Reds, 6-1 complete game win by Mike Leake!

badrose
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Pirates appear to be going down. Trail 9-2 bottom of 7th. St Louis up 2-1 in the 5th. If that holds the Reds will be up 7 games over Pirates and Cards.

badrose
08-15-2012, 09:40 PM
And this one belongs to the Reds, 6-1 complete game win by Mike Leake!

Leake was impressive tonight. Seldom in any trouble at all. Chapman gets a rest.

jazyd
08-15-2012, 11:12 PM
We have a Braves AA team here in Miss and I can tell you they don't have much at this level coming up, weak at best.

Longtime Braves fan here. Keep hoping the Nats will collapse but not looking likely.