PDA

View Full Version : Only 47% of adults have full-time job

badrose
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/05/only-47-americans-have-full-time-job

The release of the June Jobs' Report Friday was something of a relief for the markets. The Labor Department reported that the economy gained 195,000 jobs in June, which beat economists' expectations. The Department also reported that the economy gained 70,000 more jobs in April and May than it originally estimated. The report, however, also provides clear evidence that the the nation is splitting into two; only 47% of Americans have a full-time job and those who don't are finding it increasingly out of reach.

Doc
07-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes but the stock market is up and the economy recovery, plus we have the gajillion "jobs saved" thing.

I gotten so I literally laugh at any gov't produced report. You can tell me how rosy things are until you are blue in the face but its a bold face lie. However its a strategy thats worked because the same dip ##### keep getting re-elected.

jazyd
07-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I really don't think I could have expressed it any better.

Yes but the stock market is up and the economy recovery, plus we have the gajillion "jobs saved" thing.

I gotten so I literally laugh at any gov't produced report. You can tell me how rosy things are until you are blue in the face but its a bold face lie. However its a strategy thats worked because the same dip ##### keep getting re-elected.

kritikalcat
07-06-2013, 01:26 PM
This has been trend for a long time. Not to be political, but I think in large part it stems from regulatory requirements to provide certain benefits and privileges to full time employees / above a certain hours worked. My employer started enforcing a 28 hour cap for part-time at the beginning of this year which I assume is tied to "Obamacare" requirements to provide health insurance to employees working 30+ hours.

On the other hand, it's basically a concept called work sharing, which means each worker gets less hours but more people get work. 3 people do the work of 2 full time. So 3 people have jobs, instead of 2, and the company saves on benefits, but the 3 struggle to make a "living wage" (so tend to try to work multiple part-time jobs, and often each employer expects even their part-time employees to make that job their priority) and the employer has the inconsistency of having to fill schedules with multiple part-time and less reliable and motivated workers.

kritikalcat
07-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I'll add that a lot of it is also voluntary. The growth of two worker families, workers wanting flexibility, etc. has fueled the growth in part-time employment, too. I held a part-time job for almost 10 years while I ran my own business, for some supplemental income and a fall-back in case the business went under. In two income households one partner might choose to work part-time to allow more time with children, housework, etc.

badrose
07-06-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm currently PT and can't average more than 28 hrs a week. I often work more which puts me on "the list" which means they have to cut my hours back to get me in line. I would be FT with a better wage if not for Obamacare.

Doc
07-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm currently PT and can't average more than 28 hrs a week. I often work more which puts me on "the list" which means they have to cut my hours back to get me in line. I would be FT with a better wage if not for Obamacare.

Yep, and anybody who believes otherwise is a total idiot. Any company that has any business sense will hire 2 part timers rather than 1 full timer because of the gov't forced benefits once a company achieves 50 employees. Its a law that stimulates job cuts for full time employees. A company saves thousands of dollars by doing that. That is but one of the costs of Obamacare.

CitizenBBN
07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
badrose, the #1 economic failing of liberal economics is that it by its very nature ignores the response to the policy, and how it will REALLY work versus some ideal of how they want it to work.

Want everyone above 30 hours to get full health care? Just pass a law. Ignore the fact that the number of people who are cut to 28 hours will explode, ignore the substitutions companies will make with technology, what will be shipped offshore, ignore all the real impacts of the policy. Then they pass another law to try to stop those things, which then get worked around, etc. and so on ad infinitum until the federal code is a million pages long and no one has a clue what is in it all.

Tacking all the taxes on to employment is destroying this country. the threshold to hire someone, even part time, is so high now that people will do about anything to avoid doing it. What it does is keep small businesses from expanding. Even the 50 and 100 employee thresholds on some of the laws help little if any at all. There are no threshold limits on the core payroll taxes, and don't we want 40 person businesses to go to 60 person businesses?

It's beyond asinine, and it's destroying the country. We need jobs, we need economic growth, and then we tax and discourage job creation and job expansion in every way possible. It's beyond bad policy, it's just flat ignorant. I use that instead of "stupid" b/c we are supposed to avoid name calling here, but also b/c I guarantee if I took anyone who is all for these laws and put them in the shoes of a self employed person building a business they'd change their minds. So it isn't a stupidity, a function of not being smart enough, it's an ignorance, a function of not having the experience necessary to see what it is doing to the decisions of those who may hire someone and expand the pool of jobs in this country.

The taxes are bad, the paperwork is worse, and all this nation's leaders do is add to the pile. Everyone thinks in terms of Walmart when looking at these laws, and doesn't think about the small businesses that, prior to this era of massive government, were 90% of new job creation in this country.

If it were up to me there would be NO payroll taxes for anyone hired by any business with less than 20 employees. Don't even file, we don't care. Ideally we'd do away with those taxes altogether and move the entire payroll tax and income tax to a single VAT/sales tax system. I'd still have to file for taxes and such as I sold things, but I have to do that now b/c we already have a sales tax, and the payroll tax and other employee filings and liabilities are far greater and harder to manage. At least this way I'd only have to do one of them and there would be no disincentive to hiring people in this country.

I have a guy now I'd hire to do some work for me, grow the gun business some, but no way I do that with all the headaches that come with it. Better to make less money or work more hours. The sad part is this guy could use a good job and he's a good guy with a wife, but the cost of hiring him plus the government imposed overhead is too much to make it worth doing. So I'm at the office working, I'll keep what money I may make, and it won't get spread around nearly as much as it would, won't create nearly the wealth it would have for the nation.

bigsky
07-07-2013, 10:24 AM
The interest rates hopping half points at a time will fix the so called recovery. The drag from half the country on welfare or food stamps or disability is a huge anchor. Finally the regulatory drag that costs employers to add employees, and large projects from getting built continues unabated.

We are stymied, in decline, and deep in debt.

Doc
07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
The interest rates hopping half points at a time will fix the so called recovery. The drag from half the country on welfare or food stamps or disability is a huge anchor. Finally the regulatory drag that costs employers to add employees, and large projects from getting built continues unabated.

We are stymied, in decline, and deep in debt.

and dumb ##### keep telling us how wonderful it is. So, who is dumber, those who keep telling us its great or those who believe it?

CitizenBBN
07-07-2013, 01:27 PM
and dumb ##### keep telling us how wonderful it is. So, who is dumber, those who keep telling us its great or those who believe it?

Those who believe it. All of those telling us how great it is know they're lying.

badrose
07-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Those who believe it. All of those telling us how great it is know they're lying.

Fixed.