PDA

View Full Version : How active or sedentary are you?

Pages : [1] 2

Darrell KSR
07-02-2013, 08:09 AM
I have been tracking my steps for about two months with a pedometer that is pretty accurate. I was shocked to see how sedentary I am on a regular basis unless I exercise.

Not unusual at all for me to have 3,000 steps or less in a day. Very common.No wonder I am not losing weight more rapidly despite following the dietary plan. Very eye opening.

Oh.... And I am the guy that takes the stairs, parks the farthest away from the store, etc. It helps, but at least for me, I have to integrate true exercise, or at least dedicated walks into my day to escape blobism.

BigBlueBrock
07-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Very sedentary. I sit in front of a computer all day at work, then go home and sit in front of a computer some more.

suncat05
07-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Fairly sedentary, but I do take walks in the park with my dog and ride my exercise bike. Not able to run much anymore because of my knees and my friend arthritis, and certainly not jumping out of any airplanes anymore either. Still go through mandatory physical training for work, and since I am pretty much the "senior citizen" of all the deputies in the agency I have been affectionately named "Pops" by all of the younger guys.

badrose
07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm on my feet the whole time I'm at work but that's it. I need to mix it up more when I'm at home.

BigBlueBrock
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm on my feet the whole time I'm at work but that's it. I need to mix it up more when I'm at home.

i imagine the subjects of your work keep your heart rate up, regardless

badrose
07-02-2013, 12:09 PM
i imagine the subjects of your work keep your heart rate up, regardless

Haven't had a shoot for a while and never a source of income.

jazyd
07-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Pops?? LOL

Fairly sedentary, but I do take walks in the park with my dog and ride my exercise bike. Not able to run much anymore because of my knees and my friend arthritis, and certainly not jumping out of any airplanes anymore either. Still go through mandatory physical training for work, and since I am pretty much the "senior citizen" of all the deputies in the agency I have been affectionately named "Pops" by all of the younger guys.

jazyd
07-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I am constantly on the move with a retail store, up and moving. Plus going to see schools, workng at the wharehouse, working in the yard, playing golf on Sunday. But need to do more and soon, like starting yesterday which I did.

suncat05
07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Pops?? LOL

I take it for exactly what it is.........a term of endearment & a sign of respect. You know, that whole "Lion King" circle of life thing. And yeah, yes I did just reference the "Lion King"!!

CitizenBBN
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
I take it for exactly what it is.........a term of endearment & a sign of respect. You know, that whole "Lion King" circle of life thing. And yeah, yes I did just reference the "Lion King"!!

Absolutely a sign of respect, and no doubt well earned.

I bet I'm well under 3,000 on a normal day. I do inventory sometimes, that is a lot more b/c there's a lot of carrying stuff back and forth, surely more than 3K, but on a normal day I bet I could keep it under 1K without too much effort. Yes, hard to lose weight when you don't actually burn calories.

Darrell KSR
07-02-2013, 07:19 PM
You guys probably had it figured out more than I did. I figured if I was busy with out of office meetings, running errands, taking stairs, parking far away, etc., I might approach 10k on a good day. (Edit-I didn't mean I thought I'd get to 10, just more like 6 or 7).

I figured on an average day, I'd probably be around 5k, no problem.

Truth--if I don't "do something," like take a couple of 15-minute walks during the day, or exercise during or after the workday, my average is probably closer to 2k. Really sedentary. Did not realize how much.

It is 7:12 p.m. my local time right now. Today I have been to my office, worked there, had one meeting which required me to go from my small office to the conference room, all of about 100 steps, and then I returned home. I have been home, ventured out a couple of times, once to the mailbox to retrieve mail, once to check all of the tires on four cars in my driveway (don't ask) with the tire tread gauge I bought yesterday. And I took a short 5-minute walk during a Pomodoro break (I know nobody else does that, so I won't bother again).

I'm at 1,777 steps right now.

That's much more sedentary than I thought. I'm ok with this, as it just tells me that I just have to integrate "stuff" every day in what I do. Two days a week I teach at a school, and do a bit more walking, some stair climbing, etc., but the truth is, this is what I do every day unless I require me to do more.

For those of you with a great metabolism, or that exercise regularly outside your normal day, or whatever--no big deal. To me, it's a big deal.

kritikalcat
07-03-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm sure that my experience is similar. My goal is 6 days/week at the gym. Realistically I average 2... 3 on a good week. I try to get out and "run" on days I don't make it in, but that doesn't always happen either.

Darrell KSR
07-03-2013, 02:43 PM
I went to the office today, and left at noon. Not taking the rest of the day off, but working at home. Not uncommon for me.

Just finished a 15-minute Pomodoro break, walk around the block, .66 mile, uphill part of the way, downhill part of the way, takes about 13 minutes. Just about perfect for my 3rd Pomodoro break. Still, I'm well under 3,000 steps for the entire day even with it (2770 now). But if I throw in at least one more of it, I should be able to get to at least 5k without "exercise." I am carrying around my exercise bag in the car, so if I go out and can do it, I'll head to the gym. But I think, for me, it is critical that I add two 15-minute walks a day during breaks most days of the work week.

blue2ksr
07-03-2013, 06:36 PM
http://www.lowtcenter.com/

dan_bgblue
07-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Looks like I need to move the chair further from the refrigerator. May be I could leave the chair where it is and rent space in the neighbors fridge.

Darrell KSR
07-05-2013, 08:14 AM
What I am finding is that the calorie intake I have listed on my plan to lose weight is not accurate since my normal metabolism is not as high as my plan. I have to do more in a regular day to increase my metabolic rate or intake fewer calories. Of course, true exercise will help and is mandatory either way.

jazyd
07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I had to cut some bushes on the corner of our lot last night so I counted my steps from the garage to the bush, 188 steps round trip. LOL That came right after my 'walk' for the night

Darrell KSR
07-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Well, I did nothing today other than put in a new kitchen faucet. Of course, that required me to...

a) Make a trip to Walmart to see if they had a gasket for the faucet (the long gasket, not a washer). Dumb move on my part. No way they are going to carry something like that. But I also needed paper towels (there was a leak under the sink, and I had to clean up moldy, mildewy stuff, too, with some "mold-away" stuff I already had.

b) Trip to Lowe's to see if they had the gasket. No luck, but they suggested I make my own by going to an auto store that sold rubber gasket sheeting by the roll.

c) Trip to Home Depot, which is in the same parking lot as AutoZone on Hwy 280--could not believe they did not have gaskets. They didn't.

d) Trip to Auto Zone. Just parked in the middle, and walked to both. They had the rubber gasket sheeting.

e) Return trip to Lowe's to buy new supply hoses and an aerator that was somehow left out.

All of that, and somehow I got in 5k steps today for doing nothing other than a "simple" task around the house. I won't tell you how many hours it took. For something that takes a normal person 30 minutes to do, I usually take 8 hours. I don't even try to start something like that after about 10 a.m., because I know it will go past dinnertime if I do.

bigsky
07-07-2013, 10:20 AM
I ran Yankee Jim Canyon in my raft for the first time ever. never had even taken a commercial trip down it. River flow was only 5000 cfs not 30k like the article if you look it up. Still, it's a respectable rapid for these parts. Kills somebody almost every year.

Spent 4th and 5th turning my utility trailer into a raft trailer, permanently, with plywood overlaid with linoleum remnant.

Last Sunday I planted 8 trees.

Finishing off the trailer today, mowing the lawn, but that's it. I'm three Advils and two coffees into the morning.

Darrell KSR
07-13-2013, 10:05 AM
This is my 9th week of tracking my steps. I have the spreadsheet in front of me (yeah, I know--more opportunity to be sedentary, and sit in front of a computer.)

In 4 of the 8 weeks prior to this week, my average number of steps per day was 6300 or more. I can live with that. But in the other 4, I averaged 3700-5200, which is too low as an average.

Consistent with my weight-losing plan this year, rather than going all gung-ho and running 6 miles a day, and burning out after a month (I have done that before, recently), though, I have a new plan. My plan is to not have any days where I have less than 5,000 steps per day. If, at the end of the day, I look at my counter and see where I have 3,000 steps--out the door I will go to walk around the block (I have several options--one is 2/3rds a mile with a 130-foot hill; another is 1.5 miles, etc.)

Before I made that plan, I looked at how many days a week I was exceeding that, and the number was very low. My consistency of exceeding it was poor, even when my "average" for the week was ok. In the last 6 weeks, I failed to exceed 5,000 steps daily 25 times. That's 25 out of 42 days I was sedentary. Far too many.

This week I am 5-for-5 on exceeding that number, although my average is not all that impressive, at 7250 per day. Have lost a couple of pounds this week, too, which is nice after having my weight loss slowed. I don't think that's a coincidence; it is keeping my metabolism up a little more.

What Should Your Step Count Goal Be?
Dr. Catrine Tudor-Locke recommends the following based on research:
Classification of pedometer-determined physical activity in healthy adults:
1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."
3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".
5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

CitizenBBN
07-13-2013, 04:10 PM
What's "Under 2,000"? Dead? As I think about it I bet there are days I can come in under a thousand. Really need to get more exercise.

Darrell KSR
07-13-2013, 06:12 PM
What's "Under 2,000"? Dead? As I think about it I bet there are days I can come in under a thousand. Really need to get more exercise.

No kidding, days between 1k-2k are easy for me to have.

CitizenBBN
07-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe I could rent a storage unit a mile or so away and use it to hold my fridge.

dan_bgblue
07-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe I could rent a storage unit a mile or so away and use it to hold my fridge.

Hey that was my idea, only I used a neighbor's fridge, and my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.:tongue08:

CitizenBBN
07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey that was my idea, only I used a neighbor's fridge, and my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.:tongue08:

Sorry, meant to credit you. Doing too many things at once. :)

I just don't have a neighbor/friend at the proper distance who keeps my hours. I don't know of too many electrified storage units though either. lol. :D I could sell my car, that 30+ miles to Cynthiana and back would surely help. Maybe just sell the fridge.

kingcat
07-14-2013, 01:01 AM
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/sumners/sumners1104/sumners110400010/9417482-photo-of-a-fat-couch-potato-eating-a-huge-hamburger-and-watching-television--harsh-lighting-from-the.jpg
I do what I can..

jazyd
07-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Hire a plumber and then go for a walk. Ask the plumber his price, an then ask how much if you pay green cash. What you save will make your walk more enjoyable and your faucet will look better.

I never pay over $100 for my plumber to come and fix whatever needs fixing. Had to replace one of my a/c units last year including parts inside the house that I can't remember the name. Was quoted from$2400 to $2700, then called my guy. New unit, new coils..that is the word..labor, free on. $1700 total, hundred dollar bills

UOTE=Darrell KSR;96428]Well, I did nothing today other than put in a new kitchen faucet. Of course, that required me to...

a) Make a trip to Walmart to see if they had a gasket for the faucet (the long gasket, not a washer). Dumb move on my part. No way they are going to carry something like that. But I also needed paper towels (there was a leak under the sink, and I had to clean up moldy, mildewy stuff, too, with some "mold-away" stuff I already had.

b) Trip to Lowe's to see if they had the gasket. No luck, but they suggested I make my own by going to an auto store that sold rubber gasket sheeting by the roll.

c) Trip to Home Depot, which is in the same parking lot as AutoZone on Hwy 280--could not believe they did not have gaskets. They didn't.

d) Trip to Auto Zone. Just parked in the middle, and walked to both. They had the rubber gasket sheeting.

e) Return trip to Lowe's to buy new supply hoses and an aerator that was somehow left out.

All of that, and somehow I got in 5k steps today for doing nothing other than a "simple" task around the house. I won't tell you how many hours it took. For something that takes a normal person 30 minutes to do, I usually take 8 hours. I don't even try to start something like that after about 10 a.m., because I know it will go past dinnertime if I do.[/QUOTE]

Darrell KSR
07-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Hey, I got it done. Quite proud of it. Not proud of the time it took, or the number of trips to the store.

Darrell KSR
07-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Dang...missed yesterday. Really wasn't "that" sedentary...took my son to the driving range, and at least hit some golf balls, chipped some, etc. Any way, it was 11:40 last night, and I only had about 2800 steps on my counter. So I scooted outside and began my walk. Unfortunately, as I reached 4800 (that's about a 3.3 mph walk pace), it hit the stroke of midnight, and the pedometer reset to 0. Oh well, that's my one day this week I won't get 5k minimum steps. I'm good with that, as opposed to the FOUR days a week I was not getting that many. It is helping.

MickintheHam
07-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, I bought a pedometer. i had 5,478 steps yesterday.

Darrell KSR
07-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Well, I bought a pedometer. i had 5,478 steps yesterday.

Mick, is that a normal day for you? That's not bad at all probably why you stay thin. I have to work to get to that number.

I am at 6088 today, but that includes 40 minutes of walking at 3 pm where I went 2.2 miles. Without that, I am around 2000.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
07-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Mick, is that a normal day for you? That's not bad at all probably why you stay thin. I have to work to get to that number.

I am at 6088 today, but that includes 40 minutes of walking at 3 pm where I went 2.2 miles. Without that, I am around 2000.

Sent using Forum Runner

Added almost another mile, now at 7854. Inspired.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
07-20-2013, 11:00 PM
He was at the grocery store, kept walking around the produce section checking all the young melon buyers :)

I am at 6088 today, but that includes 40 minutes of the young me,on buyers walking at 3 pm where I went 2.2 miles. Without that, I am around 2000.

Sent using Forum Runner

MickintheHam
07-21-2013, 05:10 AM

Sent using Forum Runner
Thin??? I' trying to lose20 lbs.

MickintheHam
07-21-2013, 05:12 AM
He was at the grocery store, kept walking around the produce section checking all the young melon buyers :)

I bet I walked 2,000 at Lowe's. Aisles there are so poorly marked.

MickintheHam
07-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Sent using Forum Runner

I am averaging around 5900 steps so far in my first week. I ought to be able to up that to about 6500 or 7000 now that I am tracking steps. 8000 would be a nice goal for me, but I am not sure I can get there. Aything more than 7000 would require me to quit my job.

Catfan73
07-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Darrell, I've gone from 196 to 175 since last October. My doctor telling me I was pre-diabetic finally gave me the motivation I guess I lacked before to lose some weight. I'd like to get down to 160 by this time next year. I'm hoping I can last another 51 years.

Walking's the way to go imo, but it is time consuming. I used to think a walk around the block with the dog was getting some exercise, but now that same walk feels like I haven't done anything at all. I briskly walk for 2 hours 4 days a week. I have no idea how far that takes me, I just walk for an hour then turn around and walk home. The right shoes help also. I got a pair of MBT's, not sure of the style, but they have turned my legs into pure muscle.

I went back to the doc and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. My LDL's are still slightly elevated though. Guess I'd better convince myself that I like oatmeal.

MickintheHam
07-24-2013, 10:32 AM
OK Darrell, now you have me obsessed with this thing. I refuse to accept less than 6,000 steps on any given day. Now I have to go out to Lowe's just to walk around the store. The rain for the last few days is killing my performance.

Darrell KSR
07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
OK Darrell, now you have me obsessed with this thing. I refuse to accept less than 6,000 steps on any given day. Now I have to go out to Lowe's just to walk around the store. The rain for the last few days is killing my performance.

Mick, I am obsessed with it too, but I think I have to work harder than you do to reach those steps. You must incorporate some walking in your every day routine that I simply do not. But I have made 5000 steps as my base minimum and at least I am now making sure that I get that daily. As I sit here today typing this on my phone, I am at 2113 steps, and that includes a short 10 minute walk extra. Obviously, I will have to go walking after I get home tonight, but that's okay.

It is fun to watch. They say 7,000 is the number most of us should strive to hit daily. I will have to work harder to get there regularly.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
07-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Darrell, I've gone from 196 to 175 since last October. My doctor telling me I was pre-diabetic finally gave me the motivation I guess I lacked before to lose some weight. I'd like to get down to 160 by this time next year. I'm hoping I can last another 51 years.

Walking's the way to go imo, but it is time consuming. I used to think a walk around the block with the dog was getting some exercise, but now that same walk feels like I haven't done anything at all. I briskly walk for 2 hours 4 days a week. I have no idea how far that takes me, I just walk for an hour then turn around and walk home. The right shoes help also. I got a pair of MBT's, not sure of the style, but they have turned my legs into pure muscle.

I went back to the doc and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. My LDL's are still slightly elevated though. Guess I'd better convince myself that I like oatmeal.

Wild guess you are walking 6+ miles every time. That's great!

And I like oatmeal. I eat two packets of it 4-5 times a week. It's my "Jared from Subway" meal. :)

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
07-25-2013, 01:07 AM
11:40 p.m. tonight--I look down, it has been raining most of the evening, and I'm at 3700+. Almost ran out the door with a "Pedro-light" and crunched in 2150 steps by midnight, right at 5900 for the day. I know that's not much, but it makes me feel good to stay out of the "sedentary" sub-5000 range each day.

jazyd
07-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok you two, I bought one of those things today. Now I have to figure out how to program it, thought I had it but oh no not me. Will give it to my girls at work and let them take care of that

Called Mick today and he was walking trying to get his steps up. Lol

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;100070]Mick, I am obsessed with it too, but I think I have to work harder than you do to reach those steps. You must incorporate some walking in your every day routine that I simply do not. But I have made 5000 steps as my base minimum and at least I am now making sure that I get that daily. As I sit here today typing this on my phone, I am at 2113 steps, and that includes a short 10 minute walk extra. Obviously, I will have to go walking after I get home tonight, but that's okay.

It is fun to watch. They say 7,000 is the number most of us should strive to hit daily. I will have to work harder to get there regularly.

Sent using Forum Runner[/QUOTE]

Darrell KSR
07-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I am sittng at sonic in Trussville wanting my daughter to hurry up so I can get home and walk

Sent using Forum Runner

MickintheHam
07-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I figure that having the pedometer encourages (forces) me to walk about 500 to 1,000 more steps a day. 500 steps each day I have found seems to be the difference between living a sedentary lifestyle and a low active life style. I am averaging just under 7,000 steps a day. I have found if I haven't walked 5,000 steps a day, (I call it the benchmark of death), I go crazy until I do. Isn't that being obsessive or compulsive? Gee now I have something else to worry about.

I'm not losing weight but I do seem to be losing inches. Hopefully the heart is healthier and the fat cells are burning away. Of course now instead of worrying about my physical health, I'm going to have to go see a shrink! SHEESH!!

MickintheHam
07-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok you two, I bought one of those things today. Now I have to figure out how to program it, thought I had it but oh no not me. Will give it to my girls at work and let them take care of that

Called Mick today and he was walking trying to get his steps up. Lol

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;100070]Mick, I am obsessed with it too, but I think I have to work harder than you do to reach those steps. You must incorporate some walking in your every day routine that I simply do not. But I have made 5000 steps as my base minimum and at least I am now making sure that I get that daily. As I sit here today typing this on my phone, I am at 2113 steps, and that includes a short 10 minute walk extra. Obviously, I will have to go walking after I get home tonight, but that's okay.

Skip, I thought I told you it was simple to program. Even a monkey could do it! LOL

jazyd
07-26-2013, 09:48 PM
A young monkey could but us old ones struggle :(

QUOTE=MickintheHam;100459][/QUOTE]

Skip, I thought I told you it was simple to program. Even a monkey could do it! LOL[/QUOTE]

jazyd
07-27-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't think I have it calibrated right, I walked a lot today but I don't think I got in 9300 steps, probably closer to 7000

jazyd
07-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Today, 7600 steps plus a few. I was low when I went to our indoor storage unit so took off walking all the way around, found it was 476 steps so did another and got up to 5136. Then walked to elevator, back to store. Then out to eat for granddaughters birthday, salad, home and out to walk a mile.

Darrell KSR
07-30-2013, 08:56 AM
You're doing great, Jazy. You're just like me--I like seeing how many steps it is to something, around something, etc. Fun to do.

Son has team camp this week for soccer across from Briarwood High School, Mon thru Friday. I will take him 4 of those days. They have a soft, flat asphalt track around the soccer field. I walked 4 miles on it last night while he was practicing. Hope to continue all week.

UKFlounder
07-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I saw this thread and avoided it until now because I know how lazy I am, but over the weekend I finally got a new battery for my pedometer & have started using it again.

Yesterday, I took over 9,000 steps, but over 5,000 were from where I took advantage of the weather & walked home from work, which is about 45 minutes. I need to do that more often, but it's a start.

Other than that time, I only took about 4,000 steps for a day at work (sitting at the desk & answering phones) and a couple hours at home.

In the past (2 or 3 years ago), I tried to average 8,000 steps per day. I don't know if I will be able to do that now, but I am trying to be more active and having a pedometer like this is very helpful in seeing numbers and not going on merely what I think I'm doing.

Thank you for starting this thread. Even though I haven't read every post, the mere title kind of "guilted" me into getting my pedometer out again (though I admit advice from the doctor - not Mr. Ball - helped too. :) )

Darrell KSR
07-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Peer pressure can be a good thing :-)

Sent using Forum Runner

CitizenBBN
07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Maybe broke 500 yesterday. Hey, it's a start. ;)

Darrell KSR
07-30-2013, 03:02 PM
CBBN, I promise I'm right there with you. I have had a very "active" day for me today--been to 3 different offices (4 really--I went to one office twice, when the guy I was there to see had just left and I came back), been to the post office, and went to Home Depot to have a key made. With ALL of that, I am at 2,034 steps for the day. And that is a very active day for me. With a simple day at my office, or even worse, a day at my home working, under 1k is possible.

See, before I grabbed a decent pedometer, I would have thought that would put me over 5,000 steps pretty easily. Whenever I filled out those online things about your lifestyle, I generally used something like light active--never sedentary. Well, it was sedentary, and I was fooling myself.

In 2 hours, I'll be headed to a soccer practice, and I will walk some, at least 2 miles. So I will be ok (that's about 3800 steps for me), and may walk up to 4 miles. But it goes to show me that if I didn't do something "extra," I simply wasn't getting it.

jazyd
07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Bad day today. Started good at a school with two Cher squads, walked from o e building to the next and the back, was at 3200 by then. But at the store had a coach come in that wanted to sit and talk, then a sales rep until 6:30 and to eat with him, then home and too lazy to walk and stiff from sitting alllllll afternoon. Ended up with 4600. Ugh. Will make it up tomorrow

CitizenBBN
07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Darrell I'm going to have to get one just to see. My desk is at the other end of the office from my bathroom and kitchen so maybe I'm better than I think. lol.

Darrell KSR
07-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Walked 6 miles during practice tonight. More than 16,000 steps today. Wish I could do this a few times a week.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
07-31-2013, 01:31 AM
WOW, 6 miles, got any soles left. How long did it take, 2 hours?

UOTE=Darrell KSR;101184]Walked 6 miles during practice tonight. More than 16,000 steps today. Wish I could do this a few times a week.

Darrell KSR
07-31-2013, 04:31 AM
WOW, 6 miles, got any soles left. How long did it take, 2 hours?

UOTE=Darrell KSR;101184]Walked 6 miles during practice tonight. More than 16,000 steps today. Wish I could do this a few times a week.

1 hr, 40 minutes. I had reached the point where I was doing 3+ in less than an hour at the track where he used to practice, and that was with multiple hills and an 82 foot elevation change. This is perfectly flat, and a breeze. It's a brisk pace of about 3.6 mph.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
07-31-2013, 06:58 AM
That pace is reeally impressive and with hills involved, that's even better. Those factors may be even more important than the sheer number of steps. Does your pedometer calculate a number of "aerobic" steps you take? If so, that's a good number to look at.

I did a bit over 11,000 total yesterday, but at a slower pace and not with the hills. About 4,500 of mine were "aerobic" per my pedometer - presumably on my walk home, with a couple small hills. I think it calculates that number based on if you keep walking for a certain amount of time, though I don't know the specifics.

Darrell KSR
07-31-2013, 11:54 AM
There are a couple of joggers going, which helps my pace as I try to almost keep up.

When I did the track with the large hills, I did it with a friend who does triathlons and he pushed me. My conversation with him was often gasping for breath when climbing the hills, though.

No, my pedometer is very basic and basically counts steps accurately, resets at midnight, and stores the last seven days. Everything I want, really.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
07-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Decently active day for me so far. Went to office. Then another office. Then home. Took son to soccer, dropped him off. Then to campus to teach class.

My steps on this moderately active day for me so far? At 6pm CT?

See why I have to work at it so hard?

Sent using Forum Runner

MickintheHam
07-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Decently active day for me so far. Went to office. Then another office. Then home. Took son to soccer, dropped him off. Then to campus to teach class.

My steps on this moderately active day for me so far? At 6pm CT?

See why I have to work at it so hard?

Sent using Forum Runner

I understand your pain Darrell. I've resigned myself to the fact that I will have at least 2 low active days a week. That's not all bad if it is giving the body proper rest. So far in week 2, I average 1 mile further per day than I did last week which was my first. My top day this week is 11,410. My average for the week week is 8,017. Last week was 5741. I have set 6500 steps per day as my absolute minimum. Anything less is unacceptable. I would like to average 8,000/day in any given week. We'll see. It's a long hot summer.

jazyd
07-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Did't do as well as hoped today but did get to 7247 which was okay but not the 8000 I would like but have been only doing this 5 days. ate too much tonight, fried pork chop, boiled new potato with gravy, sliced tomatoes. but sooooo goooood LOL

jgirl
08-01-2013, 07:43 AM
OK, you guys made me curious. I went out and bought one at a running store yesterday. I'm going to estimate 12000+

jazyd
08-01-2013, 09:37 AM
So you are a runner? If so 12000 should be easy

UOTE=jgirl;101356]OK, you guys made me curious. I went out and bought one at a running store yesterday. I'm going to estimate 12000+[/QUOTE]

MickintheHam
08-01-2013, 10:46 AM
OK, you guys made me curious. I went out and bought one at a running store yesterday. I'm going to estimate 12000+

Damnit! That's a challenge!!!

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Working at home this morning.

From 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., 4 hours: 236 steps. Basically, I rolled over in bed, and have been up to get coffee.

I will be able to walk at soccer practice today, so I'm not too concerned, but that goes to show you how bad it is. Last night I was out at 11 p.m. battling the lightning (none within 12 miles, but it was lighting up the sky) to make sure I improved the steps count.

jgirl
08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Wow! Working at home is bad for you! At least...for your step count.

I am not a runner but I am on my feet pretty much all day. Going to have to amend the estimate though. It's just lunch time and I am closing in on 10000.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm up to 273 as I close in on noon. This is fun.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 11:38 AM
It's just lunch time and I am closing in on 10000.

WOW. That's 5 miles or so already. No wonder you're so fit.

UKFlounder
08-01-2013, 02:30 PM
10000 by noon - as Darrell said, wow!

I've been good this week - 10,000+, 11,000+ & 8,000+ (but in full days) and if nothing changes, I should be over 9,000 or so by the end of today. Only 3600 right now, but I'm expecting to walk home again and that will be about 4,500 or so more

On another point, does anyone ever forget their pedomenter, even temporarily, and get frustrated because you didn't get your steps counted? I woke up yesterday morning and did a couple things before showering and then remembered I had left my pedometer in the bedroom. It only lost maybe 100-200 steps or so, but I was a bit frustrated that I had forgotten to track them. :banghead:

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
10000 by noon - as Darrell said, wow!

On another point, does anyone ever forget their pedomenter, even temporarily, and get frustrated because you didn't get your steps counted? I woke up yesterday morning and did a couple things before showering and then remembered I had left my pedometer in the bedroom. It only lost maybe 100-200 steps or so, but I was a bit frustrated that I had forgotten to track them. :banghead:

All the time. I get mad if I leave it on the nightstand when I go shower.

1473 at 3:30 pm.

Sent using Forum Runner

MickintheHam
08-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I have to wear the pedometer on my underwear when I am at home. Typically, I take my shorts off in the shower and have the new ones draped over the towel with the pedometer attached. I'm not going to miss over two or three steps. Every step counts, but if it isn't on the meter it didn't happen.

I think some of you are getting compulsive about this thing.

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 04:36 PM
I have to wear the pedometer on my underwear when I am at home. Typically, I take my shorts off in the shower and have the new ones draped over the towel with the pedometer attached. I'm not going to miss over two or three steps. Every step counts, but if it isn't on the meter it didn't happen.

I think some of you are getting compulsive about this thing.

Ya think? :)

3214 at 4:30. Been running errands.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-01-2013, 06:36 PM
13393 at 6:35. I've had a good 75 minutes.

18312 at 11:30. A record.

MickintheHam
08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
13393 at 6:35. I've had a good 75 minutes.

18312 at 11:30. A record.

Wow! Simply amazing. I hope my next report is that I get to the 10,000 level.

Darrell KSR
08-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Wow! Simply amazing. I hope my next report is that I get to the 10,000 level.

I did old fat man running. Ran 1/2 lap, walked 1/2 lap. Got 8 miles in. Quite proud of my personal record.

At 4800 tonight. Might walk a little tonight but not pushing it.

Sent using Forum Runner

jgirl
08-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Finished yesterday with 23434. Only made it to 20166 today. :-(

MickintheHam
08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Amazing JGirl, simply amazing. I will hit the CC course in the am and wont stop until I hit 12000

jazyd
08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Not going to put my numbers up against you folks until I get higher than my 7500

Darrell KSR
08-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Not going to put my numbers up against you folks until I get higher than my 7500

I finished with 6677 Friday. Have my first 100 for Saturday since it resets at midnight. :-)

Sent using Forum Runner

jgirl
08-03-2013, 06:46 AM
To be fair, I am on my feet literally all day. 1077 already today.

bigsky
08-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Sitting is the new smoking. Google it. I guess I'm a two pack a day man, then.

jazyd
08-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I am up to 6685 so far today, 1PM

Goal is 11,000

Darrell KSR
08-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I am up to 6685 so far today, 1PM

Goal is 11,000

Great job. I love this positive peer pressure. I kinda feel like one of Cal's blue-chippers with this gang.

MickintheHam
08-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Well, the morning trip to the CC course got me to 13,296. I measure from noon to noon, so that I can use lunch hour to finish a day if I need to do so. It's much better than having to go out late at night if I had a sedentary day.

Darrell KSR
08-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Well, the morning trip to the CC course got me to 13,296. I measure from noon to noon, so that I can use lunch hour to finish a day if I need to do so. It's much better than having to go out late at night if I had a sedentary day.

Super work. Spain Park?

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-03-2013, 03:01 PM
All at work so far today, will work in the yard this evening and then walk after dark. My wife loves what you guys have done to me. :)

Great job. I love this positive peer pressure. I kinda feel like one of Cal's blue-chippers with this gang.

UKFlounder
08-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I did well this week but today is a non- work day and I had no errands to run or anything else to o o I have been very sedentary today. I took a short walk earlier and plan to take another soon to get my count at least above the 5,000 mark.

It seems like I average about 100 steps per minute when I go on a walk, so I can at least estimate how I do. Maybe soon I can try to increase the pace, but for now I want to focus on continuing to make the effort and establish a good habit

jazyd
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
10981 with 2 hours to go

jazyd
08-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Finished st 12362. But already have 2761 on my new day. Tomorrow should get a bunch. Take up offering at church, home and vacuum upstairs before grand kids arriva and then 18 holes of golf, home to play with girls

CitizenBBN
08-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Finished yesterday with 23434. Only made it to 20166 today. :-(

Ironically 23,000 is my average. That's per month, right?

jazyd
08-03-2013, 11:57 PM
That is just wow. What do you do? I am on my feet alot but nothing like that

QUOTE=jgirl;101767]Finished yesterday with 23434. Only made it to 20166 today. :-([/QUOTE]

jgirl
08-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Family business...martial arts school.

Finished yesterday with 19602. 0nly work half days on Saturday

CitizenBBN
08-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Family business...martial arts school.

Finished yesterday with 19602. 0nly work half days on Saturday

Cool. What style(s)?

UKFlounder
08-04-2013, 02:22 PM
8906 yesterday as my late day walk ended up being about 35 minutes instead of the 15-20 I had expected, plus it seems that my pace was closer to 110 steps per minute.

I'm at 6545 right now today, but even if I don't take many more, it has been a good day as most of those steps were from mowing the lawn and I spent a lot of energy and effort doing that, even if the number of steps is not overly high. It has been a good weekend (as long as I ignore jgirl's numbers anyway :) )

jgirl
08-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Cool. What style(s)?

We have two programs. Shorinji Kempo and Aikido.

Lazy Sunday = 8841 so far. I guess grocery shopping and house cleaning aren't the most active "activities"

jazyd
08-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Just got back from golf, at 15789 for today. Might try to get a walk in before my day ends at 8pm but probably will wait until later, pretty tired. It was hot and humid and I started cramping when I got home. Need to rest and get some fluids back in, did drink a glass of pickle juice

Darrell KSR
08-04-2013, 08:46 PM
3306 today. Been over two weeks since my last sub 5000 step day, so I will fix it before midnight. My pedometer keeps track for me, resets at midnight, but keeps last 7 days in memory. If it ain't easy, I don't do it.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-04-2013, 08:47 PM
did drink a glass of pickle juice

What am I missing here?

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Helps with cramps

What am I missing here?

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Finished with 16449. I left the golf cart on the path and walked to the ball alot

Darrell KSR
08-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Helps with cramps

Oh, thanks. Didn't know.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-05-2013, 07:46 AM
At work & realized I left my pedometer at home. Oops.

Anyway, it will likely be a non-productive day walking wise, so maybe I'll be glad not to see the numbers. Instead of walking home from work, I have to take the bus so I can get home & immediately go to meeting for a group where I volunteer. I'll be doing the same on Wednesday & Thursday too, so I'll have to try to find ways to get some extra steps in this week.

I did end up with over 11,000 yesterday & about 20,000 total for the weekend so that wasn't bad

MickintheHam
08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
At work & realized I left my pedometer at home. Oops.

Anyway, it will likely be a non-productive day walking wise, so maybe I'll be glad not to see the numbers. Instead of walking home from work, I have to take the bus so I can get home & immediately go to meeting for a group where I volunteer. I'll be doing the same on Wednesday & Thursday too, so I'll have to try to find ways to get some extra steps in this week.

I did end up with over 11,000 yesterday & about 20,000 total for the weekend so that wasn't bad

That is great work Flounder, you're setting the pace for the rest of us.

My daily average so far this week (Friday noon to Friday noon) is 9,355 steps/day or about 4.25 miles per day. That is up significantly from my first week where I averaged 5,741 steps or 2.61 miles per day. My goal is to see if I can get the average to 10,000 steps per day and keep it there for a month. If I take a rest day each week I've got to hit 11,500 to 12,000 for the days I work at it. No weight loss yet, but I think I'm in better shape.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2013, 03:06 PM
3:00 p.m., and I'm at 1,412 for the day. And it's raining outside, lightning and thundering.

Have a treadmill (somewhat) conveniently located in my garage (also somewhat conveniently located to Michelob Lights in the refrigerator next to the treadmill). Might be a trip to the gym today, which I have not visited in about three weeks.

jazyd
08-06-2013, 10:05 PM
After 16,000 plus on Sunday I followed that up with 9137 yesterday and 10843 today. When I went to our indoor storage unit I made two trips up to our second floor unit and then did two laps around the upstairs so that gave me 1390 steps. Tonight I walked a little further than last night. That is the first time I have done two nights in a row in a long time.

Like Mick I want to get over 10,000 on average a day. I think 10,000 should be our minimum on average.

Darrell KSR
08-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Listening to Cardinals baseball on my XM app and bluetooth headset while walking tonight. Had 3000 steps at the time, and the Dodgers had 2 on, 1 out when I started, and Redbirds got out of it with their 4th double play. Well, I considered that an omen, and kept walking til I felt comfortable and finished with 9200...and a Cardinals win.

10,000 is a good goal, but most days, unless I'm at soccer, I will probably struggle to get there. I am so so sedentary during the day it is pitiful.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Hit 12342 today. Walked for the third nite in a row. Hope we don't lose jgirl and flounder

CitizenBBN
08-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Talked to a guy who took over 2,000 today. Must count for something.

Darrell KSR
08-07-2013, 11:37 PM
2621 today. Had mtgs until 9, then wife and I working out schedules til 11:30. No time today :(.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-08-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm not lost, just having a fairly slow week. Actually, my count has been over 6,000 the past 2 days which is not too bad considering my main time to walk - going home after work - has not been available this week due to meetings I need to attend. I was afraid numbers would be under 5,000, but I think 6,000+ is at least adequate.

Tonight will be more of the same, but maybe I can have a good weekend. And at least I've been pretty good on my diet, so overall this is probably a bit slow of a week, but not terrible.

jgirl
08-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Hit 12342 today. Walked for the third nite in a row. Hope we don't lose jgirl and flounder

I didn't want to discourage you guys!! I got 22275 yesterday. Today will be huge. Summer Camp field trip and then classes until 9

UKFlounder
08-08-2013, 07:12 AM
You're not discouraging, at least to me. In fact, it may even be motivation.

I know I hit 20,000 at least one day a few years ago when I had access to a treadmill. That's not going to happen again soon, probably, but if I see others getting big numbers I will make more effort when I can to increase my totals.

badrose
08-08-2013, 07:13 AM
I'll be working 12-9:30 today, all of it except for a half hour lunch will be on my feet. I don't really care how many steps I take but walking is less tiring than standing still.

jazyd
08-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Like flounder jgirl encourages me which I need the challenge. Flounder I can't imagine walking home from work, think it is great. You get the exercise and save gas. How far to work?

QUOTE=UKFlounder;102427]You're not discouraging, at least to me. In fact, it may even be motivation.

I know I hit 20,000 at least one day a few years ago when I had access to a treadmill. That's not going to happen again soon, probably, but if I see others getting big numbers I will make more effort when I can to increase my totals.[/QUOTE]

jazyd
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Hit just over 12,000 today. Walked again tonight 4 nights in a row. Had to stop a few times to stretch the back. I want to stay over 11,000 and will try to get 12,000 each day. I needed this challenge to get me going again

jgirl
08-09-2013, 04:36 AM
25107 yesterday. I actually thought it would be more.

Darrell KSR
08-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Followed the 2621 day with over 15,000 yesterday, so got back on track. Helps on soccer practice day, as I walk or jog for close to 2 hrs.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow. Gives me a goal. Lol

25107 yesterday. I actually thought it would be more.

MickintheHam
08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I am encouraged with what I have done! My daily average for the last week has been 9,047 steps. That means I walked 28.8 miles in the week. That is up over 10 miles a week from where I started 2 weeks ago. I still want to get the daily average to 10,000. That is going to be tough for me. Still, I've only lost a lb. or two, but jeans are definitely getting baggy.

Last night just about killed me. The air was as humid as I can ever remember. The CC course that I use, was flooded the day before. The air was humid the ground was soaked from about 3 to 4 inches of rain the previous day. In the late afternoon sun the moisture was coming out of the ground all around me. It completely sapped my energy. I only did about 80% of the work I wanted to accomplish. There were very few runners out and I now know why. Just awful.

jazyd
08-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Like you I am trying to average over 10,000 per day. I got it in my last 24 hours but didnt walk last night, just worn out. Will go tonight for sure

My new evening desert at night after my walk, a fruit popcicle. 10 calories, no fat, no sugar, no sodium. Gosh it tastes so good. Lol

I am encouraged with what I have done! My daily average for the last week has been 9,047 steps. That means I walked 28.8 miles in the week. That is up over 10 miles a week from where I started 2 weeks ago. I still want to get the daily average to 10,000. That is going to be tough for me. Still, I've only lost a lb. or two, but jeans are definitely getting baggy.

Last night just about killed me. The air was as humid as I can ever remember. The CC course that I use, was flooded the day before. The air was humid the ground was soaked from about 3 to 4 inches of rain the previous day. In the late afternoon sun the moisture was coming out of the ground all around me. It completely sapped my energy. I only did about 80% of the work I wanted to accomplish. There were very few runners out and I now know why. Just awful.

UKFlounder
08-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Over 10,000 yesterday, a good ending to a mediocre week. Today may not be great as I'm doing some volunteer work, but it is just staffing an office, not unlike what I do all week, but I will be out of here in the early afternoon and if the weather holds up will have the time to do some walking. Tomorrow is another potentially good day too, as long as I take advantage of the opportunity I have.

Only one meeting scheduled for next week, but Friday Saturday & Sunday I will be doing a lot of walking as a museum where I volunteer will be holding our biggest annual event so I will be like a chicken with its head cut off most of that time, especially Saturday & Sunday. It will be interesting to see the numbers I get each of those days.

Darrell KSR
08-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Hard to get my steps in from treatment rooms, but will get a walk in tonight after a 6pm soccer match and late dinner.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-10-2013, 06:40 PM
A 45 minute walk this evening pushes me over 9,000 for today, another satisfactory day.

UKFlounder
08-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Now 3 straight days over 10,000, so that is good and I think next week should be better than this one.

UKFlounder
08-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Actually over 13,200 today, the highest since I started keeping track again

MickintheHam
08-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Two days in a row over 10,000. I'm getting up an hour early tomorrow to see if I can keep the streak going.

jazyd
08-11-2013, 09:58 PM
[great job Flounder

was at 9137 for sat and 11,345 today. No walking tonigh, golf wears me out

QUOTE=UKFlounder;103042]Actually over 13,200 today, the highest since I started keeping track again[/QUOTE]

jazyd
08-12-2013, 10:45 PM
13,234 today. Walked 1.3 miles tonight, an increase of .3 miles over last week. Not a huge increase but it was my best in a long time.

Darrell KSR
08-13-2013, 03:52 AM
14202 Monday. "Ran" 5.1 miles while son had soccer practice. I do old man, out of shape "running" where I jog the flat spots, walk all hills, inclines, loose gravel, and areas where the terrain is unlevel.

Not a great area, practices at Engel Field by Oak Mountain Presbyterian Church, but the route I take gives me 0.75 miles per "lap" and takes me to the parking lot. Every two laps I open my car, get a drink of water, and douse head and neck with cold "frog tog," the greatest invention ever.

They only practice twice a week now, and soon I will have to miss one of them to teach. I will miss it. Two weeks ago they had team camp, and practiced 5 nights. I managed to make 4 of them, and had a good week. I will have to find time to do it regularly when soccer schedule does not cooperate.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Ok what is a frog tog

Darrell KSR
08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Ok what is a frog tog

Take a look at the thread on neat things to buy. I posted about it this morning about the same time I posted here. It is basically a chilling pad. Lightweight absorbent yet wicking material you keep in chilled water, then use it generally on your head and neck to cool the body temperature down.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Another 10,512 steps yesterday, so I'm happy with that.

A slow start today, but the weather is good and should allow me my walk home this afternoon after work, so that will be about 4500 steps from that.

I still have hope to make the 10K mark again today.

MickintheHam
08-13-2013, 12:30 PM
11,574 steps. For this week (4 days) I am averaging almost 10,500 steps per day or almost 4.75 miles per day. I have had only one day under 10,000. That's not bad for all of the rain we have been experiencing. If I can stay at this level for a while, I will be well satisfied. Of course, if I could do more running I would get about 3/4 mile more for the same time invested. Maybe I can work on that. I sure would like to do one more 5k race.

Darrell KSR
08-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Great work, Mick.

I have been sedentary Thursday, Friday and today. Went to my office, to another guy's office, and home. Loaded up a bunch of files I had at my home office to take to my real office.

Grand total? 2,043 steps. I have to make concerted efforts, or I just vegetate.

Had a string of three weeks going where I had no days less than 5,000 (I think none less than 6,000, but for sure 5,000) and now 3 in less than a week. Not good.

jazyd
08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
There is a brand of rain gear caked frog togg

Take a look at the thread on neat things to buy. I posted about it this morning about the same time I posted here. It is basically a chilling pad. Lightweight absorbent yet wicking material you keep in chilled water, then use it generally on your head and neck to cool the body temperature down.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-14-2013, 12:11 AM
That's good how is the weight coming

QUOTE=UKFlounder;103389]Another 10,512 steps yesterday, so I'm happy with that.

slow start today, but the weather is good and should allow me my walk home this afternoon after work, so that will be about 4500 steps from that.

I still have hope to make the 10K mark again today.[/QUOTE]

jazyd
08-14-2013, 12:18 AM
For Tuesday, 15432, I am thrilled with that and staying over 12,000 again. Walked 1.3 miles again slow pace as my back was hurting but I refused to turn around. But I only got a few steps for tues on that walk since my day resets at 9pm so have 4400 for we'd already. Plus when I looked at the scale ths morning, which I hadn't done in srpeveral days, down 9 pounds since July 17.

Cut back on bread, sweats, butter, potatoes and eating smaller portions and a popcicle at night.

MickintheHam
08-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Great work, Mick.

I have been sedentary Thursday, Friday and today. Went to my office, to another guy's office, and home. Loaded up a bunch of files I had at my home office to take to my real office.

Grand total? 2,043 steps. I have to make concerted efforts, or I just vegetate.

Had a string of three weeks going where I had no days less than 5,000 (I think none less than 6,000, but for sure 5,000) and now 3 in less than a week. Not good.

I have dropped a whopping total of 2 lbs. in the last four weeks. I am somewhat discouraged with that. 6 to 8 would have been nice.

UKFlounder
08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
I think about level, though my home scale is not the best. I haven't checked on the good scale they have at work yet as I'm trying not to obsess too much with numbers. If I can just check once per week, I think that's fair. I'm still please with my overall exercise & better diet.

Edited: I gave in to temptation & stepped on the scale again & it is 1.5 pounds lower than last Friday, so hopefully that will be a trend. :)

Anyway, over 11,000 steps yesterday and over 4,000 so far today. It's another meeting night, so I don't know how much more I will get, but if I get 7,000 or so, that won't be bad for a "slow day" as I've had 10,000+ every day since last Friday

That's good how is the weight coming

QUOTE=UKFlounder;103389]Another 10,512 steps yesterday, so I'm happy with that.

slow start today, but the weather is good and should allow me my walk home this afternoon after work, so that will be about 4500 steps from that.

I still have hope to make the 10K mark again today.[/QUOTE]

Darrell KSR
08-16-2013, 01:02 AM
, down 9 pounds since July 17.

Cut back on bread, sweats, butter, potatoes and eating smaller portions and a popcicle at night.

Great job.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-16-2013, 01:04 AM
There is a brand of rain gear caked frog togg

Same company, Academy carries both. I have a very light weight frogg togg rain gear set, too.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-16-2013, 06:14 AM
I get my rain gear from a company I buy from, much cheaper that way :)

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;103996]Same company, Academy carries both. I have a very light weight frogg togg rain gear set, too.

jazyd
08-16-2013, 06:16 AM
16106 yesterday, that was a big day for me. Today won't be as big, I worked at my whse last night until 10:30 so I didnt get my walk in after 9:00 to start my day. Did get in some at the whse enough to get over 16000.

UKFlounder
08-16-2013, 07:57 AM
16k is great.

I had 8k Wednesday then over 11k yesterday.

I should have some good numbers this weekend, especially tomorrow and Sunday

CitizenBBN
08-16-2013, 06:01 PM
I took those flashlights I bought out of the package last night and tested them. How many steps does that count for?

jazyd
08-16-2013, 08:00 PM

I took those flashlights I bought out of the package last night and tested them. How many steps does that count for?

Darrell KSR
08-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Not sure, but you have to test them outside. At night. For about 45 minutes. While moving.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Gee, it is almost cold tonight as I take a short evening walk.

Sent using Forum Runner

CitizenBBN
08-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Not sure, but you have to test them outside. At night. For about 45 minutes. While moving.

Sent using Forum Runner

I think someone's trying to trick me into a healthy behavior. Good luck with that... lol

CitizenBBN
08-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Gee, it is almost cold tonight as I take a short evening walk.

Sent using Forum Runner

weather has been completely perfect for 3 days in Lexington. I've been inside in a windowless office working on gun stuff. Could be worse. I could be a barbie doll dealer.

jazyd
08-17-2013, 02:21 PM
11,101 on Fri which I didn't think I could hit since I worked last night until 10 but made sure I got enough steps in to make it once I saw my total before I started.

Darrell KSR
08-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Steps going down, but trying to make sure I keep it above the 6k mark almost every day. Yesterday had a pitiful figure, but walked 30 minutes (32, actually) to get it over 6,000.

Today played 9 holes of golf with my son in an adult-junior golf tournament (3rd out of 5 in his age category; we were happy--winner was a year older), then went to athletic boosters fish fry at the high school. Golf was in a cart as well. Not having done anything to exercise, almost 9,000 today. Shows just how incredibly sedentary I am on a day-to-day basis.

jazyd
08-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Slow day for me today but had a good excuse. Mworked at my whse last night until 10:30, did walk some, and today I stood at the register from 10:00AM until 5:00PM with only about z20 min of break. Traditionally our biggest day of the year and I was too tired and stiff to walk tonight

Play golf tomorrow so back at it. I don't want to go under 10,000 this coming week

And citizen, you need to join in, you will last longer at your auctions and other things :)

Darrell KSR
08-18-2013, 12:01 AM
And citizen, you need to join in, you will last longer at your auctions and other things :)

The peer pressure is helpful.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Slightly over 10,000 Fruday, a new high over 14,000 yesterday and about 9800 right now, so I'll get over 10,000 for today.

I expected a bit higher numbers this weekend, but still did well and actually did quite a bit of physical labor evn when not walking, so it was a good weekend exercise-wise.

Tomorrow and Tuesday will probably be slowe days, especially with a DR appointment Tuesday, but I also just heard about a good deal with a local gym, so I may have to investigate that and make sure it's not too good to be true.

Darrell KSR
08-18-2013, 09:29 PM
You guys are doing great, much better than I do. I just walked 2.15 miles with my 12-year old (I made him run 100 yard sprints, and then walk back to me), and even with that, I'm just over 7,000 steps for the day.

I went to church today, but didn't do anything else, so I reap what I sow, don't I?

MickintheHam
08-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I listened to John Kincade on CBS Sports this am. He has a pedometer. His goal is 5 miles per day. Last night at 10 minutes before midnight he had only 4.97 miles. He walked around his dining room table until he had 5 miles. he said he was compulsive. Can you imagine anyone so obsessed with how much they walk??

jazyd
08-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Good job flounder

I did better today than I expected, 13, 561. I didnt walk late last night so I didnt have much before church. But I played golf and let my partner drive the cart often and I walked. And we walked tonight which I never had the energy to do before, 1.3 miles.

Hit a small first goal todatpy, lost 10# so far

CitizenBBN
08-19-2013, 04:08 PM
The peer pressure is helpful.

Sent using Forum Runner

It is, and I need to join in, but I'm of a mind that some things are too late to save and some you really don't want to anyway. :)

I did drop a bunch of weight a year or so ago, need to get back on the wagon for another year.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Don't worry about the weight. Just look at numbers. Buy a $20 pedometer, stick it on your belt, and just record the steps every day for about 3 weeks. Don't do anything different; just assimilate the information.

It was telling to me to see the numbers. Today, I have been very, very active in my "work," taken stairs up and down twice each, etc. I'm at 2,964, and at my office for the 2nd time today. Will go teach a class in about 30 minutes, and take 4 flights of stairs. With all of that, my steps will be less than 3,500--on a very active day, for me.

Just getting that kind of information was useful for me. I was exercising by the time I got the pedometer, but I compared the non-exercising days and saw how very, very low (less than 3,000 most days) steps I had. Then just decided to move the needle a bit, first making sure I had over 5,000 steps every day. Then have sorta changed that to 6,000, and want to make it 7,000 at least 5 days a week, with more than 50,000 steps every week.

But don't change anything for about 3 weeks. Firmly establish just how sedentary you are. Then anything you do will be a big improvement, and you get that instant reward feeling. :)

Darrell KSR
08-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Hit a small first goal todatpy, lost 10# so far

Great job, Jazy. With as much as you're walking, I figured you'd be doing that soon. You're doing super walking, and doing it smart, too--consistent, but if your body is telling you something, you'll refrain for a day and let it recover. Smart.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Can you imagine anyone so obsessed with how much they walk??

I was very irritated this morning, as I realized I walked to the bathroom, then the kitchen, and back to the bedroom before realizing my pedometer was not on my belt. Probably cost me close to 100 steps.

You know the worst? As late as I stay up sometimes, I'll take a quick walk to improve my numbers before going to bed...then realize that I am approaching midnight. I don't reset my pedometer; I let it do it automatically at midnight, which is actually a good time for me anyway. But it irritates me when I end the short walk and it's 12:10 a.m. or something, as I realize I "wasted" 10 minutes of walking. Somehow I never figure out that it's a good start to the next day; instead, I feel cheated.

jazyd
08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
One thing that has helped is my back, not giving me as much trouble during the day. I really appreciate this challenge

UKFlounder
08-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Great work jazy.

I went ahead and joined a gym today. It's $10 per month and no commitment, so I figured hy not?

I did make my first visit and spent an hour on a treadmill and 20 minutes on a stationary bike and wore myself out, but will end up with over 13,500 steps today. I expect a 20,000 step day is now possible in the not terribly distant future

If I stay motivated and keep going,I will add some light weight or circuit training to the cardio,but the treadmill and bike will be my main friends.

This will be good for me in 2 ways - the actual exercise, obviously, plus just taking up time. I usually sit around the house at evenings and sometimes eat seemingly out of boredom, so just spending time away from home will reduce the amount of I can convince myself to find a snack.

Darrell KSR
08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
At 4000+ today, but have a stomach bug I fought all day and I am not going walking. I hope this is the only bad day I have this week.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

jazyd
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
[flounder you and I have the same eating habit:)

10825 today, worked tonight, just leaving, so no walking

QUOTE=UKFlounder;104463]Great work jazy.

I went ahead and joined a gym today. It's $10 per month and no commitment, so I figured hy not?

I did make my first visit and spent an hour on a treadmill and 20 minutes on a stationary bike and wore myself out, but will end up with over 13,500 steps today. I expect a 20,000 step day is now possible in the not terribly distant future

If I stay motivated and keep going,I will add some light weight or circuit training to the cardio,but the treadmill and bike will be my main friends.

This will be good for me in 2 ways - the actual exercise, obviously, plus just taking up time. I usually sit around the house at evenings and sometimes eat seemingly out of boredom, so just spending time away from home will reduce the amount of I can convince myself to find a snack.[/QUOTE]

jazyd
08-21-2013, 11:04 PM
14131 today, would have been higher but couldn't walk last night, raining

Walked tonight, increased to 1.6 miles, not much of an increase..., .3 mile, but it was up a big hill and down another. Felt good to tackle one of those hills

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 12:10 AM
4000 for me. Tough last 3 days personally, but will get back with it when life gets normal again.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-22-2013, 05:12 AM
13,753 on Monday, 12,110 Tuesday & 10,030 on Wednesday - trending downwards, but still in 5 figures and I'll see if I get 11,000 or so today. I've had 10,000 + for 6 of the last 7 days now, so I'm happy with that.

Only 142 so far this morning though :)

jazyd
08-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Are you alive. Lol

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;104964]4000 for me. Tough last 3 days personally, but will get back with it when life gets normal again.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Jazy, believe it or not, that's a very, very active day for me "working." Yesterday I got up at 6 to help son & daughter get ready for school, took son to school at 7:30, then taught a class at 8 a.m., taking 4 flight of stairs. I walk during class as I lecture, although it's only a few steps here or there.

I finished the class, and went to my office. I did take the elevator to the 2nd floor (my building only has 2 floors, but the parking deck opens to the elevator). I sat at my desk for 3 hours.

I then left to go teach another class (I have a crazy "overlap" for 3 weeks--I am abandoning my "lunchtime" class in 3 weeks, but for now, it's bad). I'm on my feet the whole class, but really, there's not much walking.

At 2:30 I leave to go to pick up my son from school. (My wife was in Louisiana for the family funeral, so I had Dad/Mom duties.) I teach another class at 5 (it really isn't that bad when I eliminate the other class--an 8 am and 5 pm class two days a week 4 minutes from my house is really ideal), and again, took 4 flights of stairs to go up (and down) to the class.

I went to Subway to pick up dinner after class and arrived home. Worked with kids on homework and studying, and waited for wife to get home about 10 pm. Kids were still up, but making sure they got to bed.

No time to do anything. And on other days--for example, today--unless I do something, I will have less than 2,000 steps. Sitting at a desk all day, going out for lunch, walking to pick up my mail or to get coffee, restroom, etc. makes for a very sedentary day.

Good news is, son has soccer practice today, so assuming the weather holds out, I will walk/run 4 or 5 miles during practice. But unless I do something, 4,000 steps would be about maximum.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I have been up 4-1/2 hours today. I am working at home this morning.

In 4.5 hours, I have 304 steps.

See?

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I have been up 4-1/2 hours today. I am working at home this morning.

In 4.5 hours, I have 304 steps.

See?

Now you're talking about my kind of day.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm threatening 400 now.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
12000 now.

Darrell KSR
08-22-2013, 10:48 PM

Sent using Forum Runner

CitizenBBN
08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
12000 now.

How did you get from 400 to 12k? I assume your evening walk?

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-22-2013, 10:53 PM
That's better, you and Mick have tailed off, jgirl has disappeared and Flounder and I are duke ing it out. Lol. Last 7 days I have averaged 11,327 which isn't what I want. Two nights were a wash. Worked until 11:00pm one night and the next was rain. But I had a 15,000 day today which was huge but I was on the go all day and walked tonight. I want to get to an average of 12,000 next week.

I will say I wanted to eat so bad yesterday but didnt give in. When I come in from walking I ave big glass of ice water and a popcicle. I really want a bowl of ice cream. Lol

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;105075]12000 now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4[/QUOTE]

UKFlounder
08-23-2013, 05:15 AM
Well, I set a new high for myself yesterday and thought I did well until I saw Darrell's update :)

Still, 14,277 is good and we'll see what the weekend brings.

Darrell KSR
08-23-2013, 06:25 AM
How did you get from 400 to 12k? I assume your evening walk?

Sent using Forum Runner

I ran 5 miles during my son's soccer practice (I was at 14k by 7). It's more a slow jog on the flat parts, followed by walking the uphill and loose gravel parts, but I call it all running. Had to go shopping before, so my numbers had imposed a little before the run, but soccer practice has been great for me.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-23-2013, 06:28 AM
That's better, you and Mick have tailed off, jgirl has disappeared and Flounder and I are duke ing it out. Lol. Last 7 days I have averaged 11,327 which isn't what I want.
That's outstanding.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-23-2013, 06:29 AM
Well, I set a new high for myself yesterday and thought I did well until I saw Darrell's update :)

Still, 14,277 is good and we'll see what the weekend brings.

Yeah, remember my day before was like 4000.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Flounder look at your averages, Darrell was shamed I to moving his feet. Lol

QUOTE=UKFlounder;105171]Well, I set a new high for myself yesterday and thought I did well until I saw Darrell's update :)

Still, 14,277 is good and we'll see what the weekend brings.[/QUOTE]

UKFlounder
08-23-2013, 10:14 AM
7 day average is 12,069, which is really nice to see.

Needless to say, but I will anyway: it was a good week. :)

Darrell KSR
08-23-2013, 03:34 PM
7 day average is 12,069, which is really nice to see.

Needless to say, but I will anyway: it was a good week. :)

I have averaged above 10,000 only one week since I have been charting. Most are around 7k,and I have been okay with that.

Darrell KSR
08-23-2013, 10:28 PM
4992. I better go walk around the block and get a few more steps.

Sent using Forum Runner

UKFlounder
08-24-2013, 11:19 AM
New personal high on Friday- 17,044

Today will be a slower day as I have a lot of stuff to do around the house, but I will try to get some walking in late this action or evening. Most of m walking yesterday was later in the day so I also want to let my body get at least some rest

UKFlounder
08-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Today was not quite as much "slower"as I anticipated - over 14,300 steps.

Darrell KSR
08-25-2013, 09:25 AM
I got 8000 in yesterday, but it was tough. Went to the office to record some lectures for classes I will miss and ended up leaving there to go to a UAB soccer clinic and match v Jacksonville. Wearing loose sandals, while the kids were engaged in the clinic, I walked around the field about 4000 steps, which aided my efforts. Now have to overcome a blister I created with the strap rubbing on the side. Totally unprepared, and last minute call made it less than ideal.

Sent using Forum Runner

AshCat
08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Pretty much check/read the board daily just don't ever post anything. But I could use a little motivation so thought I'd get involved. Put a free app on my phone a few months back "Walking Mate" which is basically a pedometer on your phone. Seems to work pretty good as long as you have your phone with you. Put in my statistics and weight goal and it set a goal of 10,000 steps per day. Pretty neat app as it keeps everything, you can also input any exercise you do and also you food data. Haven't done the food stuff yet. If you haven't got the app or something like it you might want to check it out! Over the last 2 months averaging about 9,000/week so not doing too bad. Maybe getting involved with you guys here will spur me on t do a little better. Wanting to drop about 20 and plan to get serious about diet/exercise this week. Daughter's back in college so it's just me and the wife now so we're going to try to work together.

jazyd
08-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Ash at this is great motivation but don't take on jgirl :)

I messed up fri. First I had to go to wlmart early fri am, forgot the counter, lost at least 600 steps. Matter work went to et with fiend, got home and ready to walk, no counter, left at wok so lst those steps, robavpbably another 600 at least but still went over 11,000 for the day. Then because I walked w/o the counter I lost 5000 steps to start Saturday (I have mine set o start at 9 pm). Ended Saturday with only 7145, ugh makes me mad.

But today thanks to taking up he offering at church, golf with cart path only, and some work around the house I had my personal best, 17,176.

Didnt walk tonight, worn out in this et nd humidity

UKFlounder
08-26-2013, 06:35 AM
A slow day Sunday, barely over 6100 & today may not be much better sitting around at work and then heading to a meeting tonight. I don't know if I will be able to get any exercise in today. That stinks, but I'm happy with how I have been doing so giving my body a little bit of rest is not the worst idea, especially if I eat decently which I have been doing lately.

UKFlounder
08-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Good work Ash. It is helpful to put your numbers out here and feel some accountability.

I found a local hospital's app on Friday & used it for my walk home from work. I found out it is 1.95 miles and I walked it in about 43 minutes (through the city, with plenty of stop signs & traffice lights where I am careful about crossing across traffic, though I don't claim to have a fast pace anyway.)

The food counter is probably too much for me to keep remembering & tracking, but maybe it is something I can try more seriously.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2013, 06:38 AM
2668 yesterday. Too much work to do. Got up at 4 this morning to get more done. Exhausted already.

Darrell KSR
08-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Pretty much check/read the board daily just don't ever post anything. But I could use a little motivation so thought I'd get involved. Put a free app on my phone a few months back "Walking Mate" which is basically a pedometer on your phone. Seems to work pretty good as long as you have your phone with you. Put in my statistics and weight goal and it set a goal of 10,000 steps per day. Pretty neat app as it keeps everything, you can also input any exercise you do and also you food data. Haven't done the food stuff yet. If you haven't got the app or something like it you might want to check it out! Over the last 2 months averaging about 9,000/week so not doing too bad. Maybe getting involved with you guys here will spur me on t do a little better. Wanting to drop about 20 and plan to get serious about diet/exercise this week. Daughter's back in college so it's just me and the wife now so we're going to try to work together.

It's great peer pressure in a good way. Except ignore mine. I'm the weak link., ;-)

jazyd
08-26-2013, 08:30 AM
And you were the strongest

It's great peer pressure in a good way. Except ignore mine. I'm the weak link., ;-)

Darrell KSR
08-26-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't mind being the weakest, as long as it's "good." I need to have 6 of the 7 days above 6k, with 2 or 3 of the days being 12k+. I used to say every day about 5k, but I think occasionally--and it doesn't "have" to be once a week, but occasionally--you have to let the body get some rest. I'm even ok with it being 5 of the 7 days if I have 3 of the days be the ones where I'm running.

I will gladly hold down the weak link spot if it's in that neighborhood. But I expect you guys to set your standards higher!

AshCat
08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
13,217 yesterday. On vacation this week trying to get some things done around the house. Redoing a brick paver walkway at the front of the house today so it was a good day for walking 16,376 today!

jazyd
08-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Wow, you jumped in with a bang. Didnt hit my goal of 12,000 but came close. I find myself taking extra steps to get my totals up. Got my walk I tonight so I have 4000 to start my new day. My rest day is Friday, get steps I but don't walk. I am getting stronger on my walk, finished tonight and not breathing hard, will increase it a little tomorrow, if I don't go to the Braves AA game here.

13,217 yesterday. On vacation this week trying to get some things done around the house. Redoing a brick paver walkway at the front of the house today so it was a good day for walking 16,376 today!

UKFlounder
08-27-2013, 09:13 PM
I had a couple slow days, but 15,201 today.

I may get some OT hours the next couple days, so that might cut into my walking time, but I'll see what I can do

AshCat
08-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Worked on walkway again today so I got 11,109. Would guess that it would have been up in the 15,000 range but I laid my phone on the window sill the first two and a half hours this morning. :sad0119:

jazyd
08-27-2013, 10:43 PM
You guys challenged me, did 14478 today. What helped was having two people out sick today so my wife and I were by ourselves and we were busy so I was walking all over the store and didnt sit until 2 pm when one of our high school girls came in. Feeling better walking each night and next week will increase my distance again, will try 2 miles

UKFlounder
08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
10,869 yesterday and over 11,500 tonight, but may have a slower weekend coming up

jazyd
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM
14,400 yesterday and 16145 today. I have increased how far I walk. I don't warn flounder to get me on weight. I did blow it yesterday, fell victim to a Big Mac and fries. Lo,

Darrell KSR
08-29-2013, 10:01 PM
16,027 today, just about done.

Had DQ blizzard birthday cake (Mrs. D's birthday), which killed any effort I made (ran 6 miles while son had soccer practice this afternoon).

AshCat
08-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Only did 5,409 today. Broke my string of 5 straight over 10,000. But my reason for not getting the 10,000 was justified! Spent the day (7:30 to 4:00) on Grayson Lake with my 81 year old Dad catching Crappie!! Only get to do that a couple of times a year. What a Great Day!!

Darrell KSR
08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Only did 5,409 today. Broke my string of 5 straight over 10,000. But my reason for not getting the 10,000 was justified! Spent the day (7:30 to 4:00) on Grayson Lake with my 81 year old Dad catching Crappie!! Only get to do that a couple of times a year. What a Great Day!!

That's worth about 20,000 steps :)

You put a smile on my face with that one. Glad you had a great day.

jazyd
08-30-2013, 08:40 AM
You get a pass

jazyd
08-30-2013, 10:29 PM
A little over 15,000 today and increased the walk to 2 miles and up 2 big hills. Felt good, hot tonight, good shower when I got home. Had my popcicle. Lol Haven't lost any pounds in over a week, surprised

My goal is 3 miles a night, 4-5 nights a week. Need to lose a lot of weight, will help my back deal with those 2 ruptured discs instead of surgery

Darrell KSR
08-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Had a horrible week until last 2 days. Just over 11,000 today. Love those 14,000+ days, but if I get over 10k any day, it's a home run.

Sent using Forum Runner

jazyd
08-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Walking at night is where I get my numbers up. My day starts at 9 pm so I walk at 9:05 which gets me 5968 tonight to start my day

AshCat
08-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Did 13,736 yesterday. Working on the walkway still so a lot of back and forth. Had a really good week!

jazyd
08-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Really good start, took me 3 weeks to get here

QUOTE=AshCat;106744]Did 13,736 yesterday. Working on the walkway still so a lot of back and forth. Had a really good week![/QUOTE]

Darrell KSR
08-31-2013, 09:49 AM
I am tournament director of a volleyball tournament today. I am nearly 5,000 steps from 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. alone. Should be a good day without exercising.

jazyd
08-31-2013, 10:38 AM
But Darrell, you are moving and that is important. Your original titel was how sedentary are you, so moving like that is not sedentary. Just like a lot of my steps are at our store, constantly moving which is good for me.

I am tournament director of a volleyball tournament today. I am nearly 5,000 steps from 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. alone. Should be a good day without exercising.

Darrell KSR
08-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Agree. I wish I could do this several days a week. Sitting at a desk too much. I love this.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell KSR
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
7275 now, but tournament getting easier. I have fixed the various screw ups from last night, talked to all the coaches, and it will be easier from now til finals.

Darrell KSR
08-31-2013, 02:03 PM

Darrell KSR
08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

Edit..finished with 14136, and no "exercise." I really wish I had a job where I could get that kind of walking in. I sat a fair amount yesterday, too, but had to go to different courts all day, including the auxiliary gym, and I guess the steps added up.

jazyd
09-01-2013, 09:43 PM
16,432 today but didnt walk tonight. Played golf this afternoon in 99 degree heat and zapped me. Barely ate anything for dinner, not 200 calories I would imagine. I just couldn't eat after that heat.

CitizenBBN
09-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Just think, if you had been Rick Pitino you could have walked around on the water and done both... ;) Well at least we all know he'd have tried it. :D

Darrell KSR
09-02-2013, 07:10 PM
1200 yesterday. Almost 17,000 today. Call me Mr. Consistency.

jazyd
09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
1200?????

8500 today, didnt walk but was moving all day with yard work Needed a day to take it easy

Darrell KSR
09-02-2013, 07:53 PM
1236 to be exact. Went to church and then dinner, and I'm not sure I left the house except for that.

17663 today so far, but I'm home now. Hitting shower but I would like to hit 18k today if I can.

AshCat
09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
12,434 Saturday, 14,120 Sunday, 10,862 today. But my vacation is over and back to work tomorrow. Don't do as much walking at work so I'm really going to have to work at keeping up over 10,000 now.

UKFlounder
09-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Slow weekend (and ome bad eating too) but did get back over 11,600 yesterday and have over 10,000 today, so still happy with it overall

Darrell KSR
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
2807 today, and have to make exam for tomorrow tonight, so won't get a walk in tonight. Pitiful.

AshCat
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
10,246. Made it, barely!!

jazyd
09-03-2013, 10:53 PM
12,437 today which surprised me since I didnt walk last night. But when I went to our storage facility today I did a few laps to get in 1000 steps, then walked to before my 9pm cutoff and after so I have 3200 already for Wednesday. Really watched how much I ate this weekend

MickintheHam
09-04-2013, 09:41 AM
This thread has really given me a boost. Last week on vacation I was able to really put some effort into jogging and walking. I logged 41 miles for the week and averaged over 12,800 steps each day. And finally.................after 7 weeks of no weight loss, I dropped 3 lbs. This weeks it's back to work and sitting in day long meetings. I'll be lucky to average 7,000 steps this week.

jazyd
09-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Mick. You sounded like you were walking yesterday morning

UKFlounder
09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Good work Mick!

MickintheHam
09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Mick. You sounded like you were walking yesterday morning

I'm trying to get to the point that I don't sound out of breath when I am on the phone.

MickintheHam
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Good work Mick!

Flounder you have put up some impressive numbers. If I didn't have to commute 17 miles to work I might have tried walking there myself.

Darrell KSR
09-04-2013, 07:08 PM
2999 yesterday; 2862 so far today. I'm going to walk tonight and maybe I can get 6,000 or 7,000. I'm really letting the group down.

AshCat
09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
12,131 today. Was fairly busy at work today so did better than usual there. Still working outside around the walkway.

jazyd
09-04-2013, 10:35 PM
12456 today. My new day started at 9 pm and I walked 2.5 miles, didnt know if I could make it because my back and legs were sore and had a leg cramp in the middle of last night.
Lost 12# so far, not what I Had hoped but a start.

It's good we are ll pushing each other, all of us with one exception...the one who started this :)....are averaging over 12,000 a day.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey, I'm just glad I'm helping others. I live to serve :).

I did not walk last night, by the way. It was 10 and I was beat and went to bed. I also knew I would get out in the sun today and do my jog/walk routine for an hour, 40 minutes in the sun, and figured no need of pushing it.

3,122 yesterday. Very, very sedentary--unless I do something.

Darrell KSR
09-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Ran 4 miles tonight. Got a later start than normal. Today will be a good day, just not enough of them.

Sent using Forum Runner

AshCat
09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
13,798 today. Did stairs on break at work for first time in over a month (140 steps) so that helped also. Could tell it'd been a while though. Usually do 8-10 times but only did 6 today.

jazyd
09-05-2013, 11:04 PM
New record in my last 24 hours, 18,001. Worked to get over 18,000 lol. Would love to get to jgirl one time. Walked 2.3 miles tonight, had to back down a tad, last night got me

Darrell KSR
09-06-2013, 09:26 PM
18k is outstanding, Jazy. I figure that, give or take, 2,000ish steps is a mile. So you figure you did 8-9 miles. That's great.

AshCat
09-06-2013, 09:53 PM
18,852 for me today. Did the stairs at work again and made it a point to stay active most of the shift. Got home and worked out in the yard (unloading half a pickup of river rock for landscape) for a couple of hours. Then the wife and I went to the mall and out to eat. Great day

jazyd
09-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Wow, guess you gave me a new goal to beat. Did 2.2 miles tonight but won't walk tomorrow night, taking my wife out for our anniversary....going to eat redfish, no steak or potatoe. :)

18,852 for me today. Did the stairs at work again and made it a point to stay active most of the shift. Got home and worked out in the yard (unloading half a pickup of river rock for landscape) for a couple of hours. Then the wife and I went to the mall and out to eat. Great day

UKFlounder
09-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Mick. I am fortunate to live so close to my work.

Anyway, over 16,500 tonight after barely getting over 10,000 the past 2 days, but have been over 10K every day since Monday

jazyd
09-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Good job Flounder, I have bragged to many friends about your walking to work.
13,967 today but didnt do much tonight, rest time. Had lost 14 thru this am but that will change in the morning after our anniversary dinner tonight. Fried crab claws, crab bisque, redfish and half of a key line pie. Lol. Will do better tomorrow

QUOTE=UKFlounder;108049]Thanks Mick. I am fortunate to live so close to my work.

Anyway, over 16,500 tonight after barely getting over 10,000 the past 2 days, but have been over 10K every day since Monday[/QUOTE]

AshCat
09-08-2013, 09:15 PM
12,402 yesterday on a 16 hour day at work so I was very happy with that. 17,813 today, did nearly 11,000 while at work. Definitely wish I had joined this thread sooner cause I'm consciously making sure I get over the 10,000 mark each day. Looked back at the 2 weeks prior to vacation and was averaging 6-7,000 those weeks.

jazyd
09-08-2013, 10:50 PM
15643 today which was good since I didnt walk last night after 9 pm. Played golf so that got me up and I walk to the ball often.

Walked tonight, 2 miles. I did go up 1.5# today which is ok. But I havevmoved my belt two notches and down 1 pant size