PDA

View Full Version : I still have one that does not require it to be plugged into the grid

dan_bgblue
06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Do you still have one? (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/26/sorry-cellphone-why-landlines-still-rock/?intcmp=features)

And if you do, do you have it for the same reason I do?

I can call the power company to report an outage and the power company automatically records the outage location based on the telephone number location. can't do that with a cell phone or a phone that requires electricity, other than the electricity transmitted over the phone line. I still have a cordless phone group plugged into one of the wall jacks, but also have an "old timey" phone plugged in for emergencies.

BigBlueBrock
06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
I do not have a land line. I've never had one in all the time I've been "separated" form the parental units (i.e., ever since I "officially" moved out my third year of college when I got an apartment and didn't come home for the summer). However, if I owned a home, I'd have one for the security system. As it is, I rent an apartment and I have little use for one as I always have service.

BigBlueBrock
06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
By the way, many of the analog telephones in New Orleans worked even when the city was under like 15 feet of water after Katrina.

Lfbj00
06-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Had one since 1997...same number. Was thinking about getting rid of the service, but with the kids at home, I thought we'd keep it for a while longer.

CitizenBBN
06-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Got rid of ours many years ago, 15 or so probably. Have rarely missed it at all and usually then it's just b/c I can't find my cell and would like to be able to call it so it would ring and I could find it.

Darrell KSR
06-27-2013, 05:19 AM
Had one since 1997...same number. Was thinking about getting rid of the service, but with the kids at home, I thought we'd keep it for a while longer.

I still have the same number, but it is one of my cell phone numbers now.

More reliable than cell phones, but don't miss it.

KSRdallen
06-27-2013, 06:25 AM
With our move to MS we eliminated the land line. Haven't missed it but as D said they are more reliable and sometimes cell quality is non-ideal. No regets, though.

jgirl
06-27-2013, 10:35 AM
What is this "land line" thing you speak of???

CattyWampus
06-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Do you still have one? (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/26/sorry-cellphone-why-landlines-still-rock/?intcmp=features)

And if you do, do you have it for the same reason I do?

I can call the power company to report an outage and the power company automatically records the outage location based on the telephone number location. can't do that with a cell phone or a phone that requires electricity, other than the electricity transmitted over the phone line. I still have a cordless phone group plugged into one of the wall jacks, but also have an "old timey" phone plugged in for emergencies.

My power company is Bluegrass Energy, and when I call them on my cell phone about a power outage, the automated system recognizes my number and asks if I am calling about an outage at my specific address. They link your phone number to your account and don't rely on "telephone number location".

Darrell KSR
06-27-2013, 03:20 PM
My power company is Bluegrass Energy, and when I call them on my cell phone about a power outage, the automated system recognizes my number and asks if I am calling about an outage at my specific address. They link your phone number to your account and don't rely on "telephone number location".

I missed that earlier, but me too. My power company recognizes my cell phone as attached to my home address.

suncat05
06-27-2013, 03:45 PM
I have one too, but it is a requirement of my job. But if I didn't need one I certainly would not have one.

CitizenBBN
06-27-2013, 04:29 PM
I missed that earlier, but me too. My power company recognizes my cell phone as attached to my home address.

Mine does now, finally after much consternation with them to get it set up. One of the worst things in the world is going through a utility company's phone system with a phone not identified to their system. You go through a dozen menus to get nowhere.

jazyd
06-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Still have mine, can't get good reception in most spots in my house

Darrell KSR
06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Mine does now, finally after much consternation with them to get it set up. One of the worst things in the world is going through a utility company's phone system with a phone not identified to their system. You go through a dozen menus to get nowhere.

My gas company has it, too. I just checked by calling.

Alabama Power Company recognizes my address by my cell phone, and Alagasco recognizes my address by my cell phone, both through their automated system.

Doc
06-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I dumped my land line about 2 months ago. Only calls I got were telemarketers, political advertisements, money solicitations and polls

As for the OP, I'm sort of off the grid in I'm on a well and septic tank. Power goes and I have a generator that will run for 3 days before I need more propane. If the power company can't figure out I'm powerless in 3 days, well, calling them likely would have been fruitless.