PDA

View Full Version : I protest cereal

Darrell KSR
06-20-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm again sorta "stuck" in my quest to lose weight, pretty stagnant right now, so I was looking at some of the diet issues. I have been exercising fairly well, not as good as I should, but 2-3 times a week walking or jogging, with a small amount of light weight work.

I usually have a bowl of oatmeal in the morning--two packages, 320 calories total. But have been out of oatmeal, so have grabbed whatever cereal is around there, thinking it is fine, based on the side of the box and the calories it claims.

Raisin bran, cheerios, frosted mini-wheats, and Cap'n Crunch have all been victimized by me. And I've thought I've been doing fine.

Apparently, I have not. Their idea of a serving, and my idea are different. Today I used a measuring cup, and poured out what a "serving size" of Raisin bran is. The bowl certainly isn't as full as when I pour it normally. Then I poured 1/2 cup of milk on it. Less than what I normally do.

So instead of 230 calories I thought I was consuming, I'm guessing it was closer to 400 by the time you supplement the cereal and the added milk.

Serving size. Ha!

CitizenBBN
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm not a big breakfast guy but my observation has been that cereal is mostly the nutritional equivalent of cake. I'm sure some aren't, but it sure seems like they all start with sugar cubes and then try to make it more nutritional.

badrose
06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Kashi GOLEAN

13g protein, 10g fiber, 30 carb but only 6g sugar. Tastes pretty good unless you're used to Cap'n Crunch. ;)

Darrell KSR
06-20-2013, 10:27 AM
I love Kashi. That's my cereal of choice when I'm eating cereal. Just eating what the kids eat right now while my oatmeal gets restocked, but I may have to go pick up a couple of boxes.

KSRBEvans
06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
I think I'm insulin resistant or have metabolic syndrome, or both. I have to start my day with protein. A bowl of cereal for breakfast starts me on a blood-sugar rollercoaster and feeling woozy by lunch. Then I eat too much at lunch and want to curl up in a fetal position and nap the afternoon away.

CitizenBBN
06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I think I'm insulin resistant or have metabolic syndrome, or both. I have to start my day with protein. A bowl of cereal for breakfast starts me on a blood-sugar rollercoaster and feeling woozy by lunch. Then I eat too much at lunch and want to curl up in a fetal position and nap the afternoon away.

I'm that way with sugar generally. If I eat a cookie or anything like that I get the huge sugar rush then a big crash. I know it's not uncommon but I can barely hold my eyes open. I never have been a big sweets fan so it's not a problem. Now salty and fried, that apparently I can consume in large amounts and the only issue is my constantly expanding waist line.

blueboss
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Fruit Loops w/marshmallows derailed my weight loss plan. Yes Fruit Loops now comes w/marshmallows, I usually treat myself to a bowl on Sunday mornings. Monday through Friday breakfast is an apple and then around 10:30 I have a Nature Valley granola bar.

Darrell KSR
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Fruit Loops w/marshmellows derailed my weight loss plan. Yes Fruit Loops now comes w/marshmellows, I usually treat myself to a bowl on Sunday mornings. Monday through Friday breakfast is an apple and then around 10:30 I have a Nature Valley granola bar.

Marshmallows? Seriously? I wish I had not heard this.

KSRBEvans
06-21-2013, 12:44 PM
When I think of stuff I used to be able to eat that I can't eat now, I think of Kevin James talking about how eating Big Macs affects him now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVObn-rqir8

bigsky
06-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Eat nothing with wheat in it.

dan_bgblue
06-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Eat nothing with wheat in it.

You are now on Monsanto's list of not so friendly people

dan_bgblue
06-21-2013, 01:43 PM
A dozen eggs in a little container, a jar of molasses, and a plate of home made busciuts. What do they have in common besides being great breakfast foods?

No where, and I mean no where on their packaging is there any mention of serving size

badrose
06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
After reading this thread just now I got a box of cracked pepper & olive oil Triscuits and a can of squirt sharp cheddar cheese. Portion control! Portion control!

MickintheHam
06-21-2013, 04:38 PM
I have two go to breakfast meals One is oatmeal with cranberries and toasted walnuts. I keep the dried cranberries on hand and toast my own walnuts. I generally skip adding milk but occasionally I lapse into adding a teaspoon of brown sugar. My second one started with my Sunday morning trips to see the produce gal at my local Publix. She fixes a low fat vanilla greek yogurt with strawberries, blueberries and granola. I have started to fix my own during the week, but still go to sample her's after 7:00am Mass on Sunday. It's pretty good stuff. On Saturday mornings I fall off the wagon and have a more traditional breakfast.

Catonahottinroof
06-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Kashi has lost my faith. They used GMO's in their cereals even though they claimed not to have done so.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-04-29/kashi-natural-claims/54616576/1

blueboss
06-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Kashi has lost my faith. They used GMO's in their cereals even though they claimed not to have done so.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-04-29/kashi-natural-claims/54616576/1

Might as well eat Fruit Loops w/marshmallows.

Darrell KSR
06-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Might as well eat Fruit Loops w/marshmallows.

Sounds good

jazyd
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
At least 6 days I eat a bowl of "smart start" cereal with golden raisins, strawberries and blueberries with 2% milk plus a glass of orange juice. Often I don't have to eat lunch as I am still full.

jazyd
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
But I sure like some eggs, bacon and toast about once a month