PDA

View Full Version : Nice vacation

jazyd
06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Read today that Mr and Mrs Obama will take a little time off for a little vacation over to the homeland and was nice enough to decide not to do the safari because of cost for protection against...ready..out of control elephants. Thought those were in DC. Surprised he would pass up that opportunity since he is such a regular on rpthe skeet range.

So glad we could afford this little time off for him.

CitizenBBN
06-19-2013, 09:22 PM
It's an official Presidential trip to Africa, but even setting aside the vacation aspects of it (family going, etc.) the cost is estimated at between $60 and $100 million. The numbers aren't all released, Secret Service doesn't disclose much, but the story I saw said they had to take 3 truck loads of bulletproof glass panels for the hotel stays alone. They have to take 14 vehicles for the motorcade, all kinds of stuff.

Even though there is a foreign policy role for Presidential trips abroad, it's not going to net us enough benefit IMO to justify the cost when the Administration is canceling the White House tour and agencies are looking at layoffs.

The fact that a safari was even considered is a slap in the face to the people who work for him, and I don't find the official nature of the trip to sufficiently offset the inappropriate timing of such a huge expense. Not that Obama or apparently many of our leaders have noticed or even think it's possible, but we don't have that kind of cash sitting around right now.

jazyd
06-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Kind of like his official trip to South America during his kids spring break so that he doesn't have to claim them as vacation and keep his dimwitted supporters happy claiming Bush took more vacation time

suncat05
06-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah, just like he's a real president, too.

Darrell KSR
06-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah, just like he's a real president, too.

I had a big cup of coffee in my mouth. You now owe me a clean phone screen.

suncat05
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
I had a big cup of coffee in my mouth. You now owe me a clean phone screen.

No problemo. Always glad to add some levity to an otherwise grim situation. I hope we get to meet someday, it would be an honor to buy you a cup of coffee and yes, clean that phone screen!