PDA

View Full Version : Got a rap sheet? Get a job at Columbia U

dan_bgblue
06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Linkage (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/19/columbia-cons-ivy-league-social-work-program-run-by-team-former-prisoners/)

suncat05
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Think this is bad? Just wait until the end of this POTUS's term and watch who he gives presidential pardons to. JMHO, it'll be some very eye opening stuff.

Anybody want to bet against me on this one?

CitizenBBN
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
lol. Hey, at least they got people with real world experience. We're always complaining about academics not having any.

I LOVE how they constructed this guy's bio. It's such a pure act of deceiving without actually lying:

Mika’il DeVeaux was one of the keynote speakers for the CJI’s “Removing the Bars” Conference in 2012. But his bio in the conference program failed to mention the 24-year stint he served in Westchester County for second-degree murder and his subsequent parole in 2003, or that he’s co-director of a non-profit with Boudin called Citizens Against Recidivism. Instead, the bio simply says DeVeaux “has more than three decades of experience working with men incarcerated in New York State maximum security prisons and many who have been released following periods of confinement.”

That's beyond brilliant.

That's only topped by this quintessentially academic/corporate description of their organization that uses 26 buzz words and tells you absolutely nothing about what they do:

A description on the program's website says it is "situated inside” Columbia, and a part of the school’s “Social Intervention Group,” a research center within the Columbia University School of Social Work. It lists among its goals helping to forge a solution for “a central social crisis of our time, mass incarceration.” The program holds events and conducts research as part of "an interdisciplinary project built around a model of community collaboration" that "seeks to increase the number of skilled practitioners, policy-makers and researchers who can advance the fields of re-entry and incarceration across all disciplines.”

FWIW Boudin, the leader of this group and Weather Underground member, was 38 when they tried to rob the Brinks truck and the guard was killed. People think "oh the 60s, stupid kids" but this person was a long grown adult making an adult decision to commit a violent robbery.

Personally I have no problem with people hiring a person with a criminal past, but there are some real concerns with having hired murderers to teach kids. I'd be more worried that they've hired radical Leftists if it were me evaluating the school.

jazyd
06-19-2013, 10:56 PM
They were really good with those bio's. I doubt most Columbia parents care

Doc
06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
lol. Hey, at least they got people with real world experience. We're always complaining about academics not having any.

I LOVE how they constructed this guy's bio. It's such a pure act of deceiving without actually lying:

Mika’il DeVeaux was one of the keynote speakers for the CJI’s “Removing the Bars” Conference in 2012. But his bio in the conference program failed to mention the 24-year stint he served in Westchester County for second-degree murder and his subsequent parole in 2003, or that he’s co-director of a non-profit with Boudin called Citizens Against Recidivism. Instead, the bio simply says DeVeaux “has more than three decades of experience working with men incarcerated in New York State maximum security prisons and many who have been released following periods of confinement.”

That's beyond brilliant.

That's only topped by this quintessentially academic/corporate description of their organization that uses 26 buzz words and tells you absolutely nothing about what they do:

A description on the program's website says it is "situated inside” Columbia, and a part of the school’s “Social Intervention Group,” a research center within the Columbia University School of Social Work. It lists among its goals helping to forge a solution for “a central social crisis of our time, mass incarceration.” The program holds events and conducts research as part of "an interdisciplinary project built around a model of community collaboration" that "seeks to increase the number of skilled practitioners, policy-makers and researchers who can advance the fields of re-entry and incarceration across all disciplines.”

FWIW Boudin, the leader of this group and Weather Underground member, was 38 when they tried to rob the Brinks truck and the guard was killed. People think "oh the 60s, stupid kids" but this person was a long grown adult making an adult decision to commit a violent robbery.

Personally I have no problem with people hiring a person with a criminal past, but there are some real concerns with having hired murderers to teach kids. I'd be more worried that they've hired radical Leftists if it were me evaluating the school.

Thats like saying Jerry Sandusky has years of experience in researching the cause and effect if child molestation